All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
distinction between trigger foods for C and D
      #23996 - 10/20/03 11:42 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

I know that the two biggest trigger foods are those containing fat and dairy, but are these triggers for abdominal spasms/pain or for D? And if they mostly keep you on the toilet for D, what effects do they have on C? Stupid question, but could they actually aid in C?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: distinction between trigger foods for C and D new
      #23998 - 10/20/03 11:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - though it sounds kind of contradictory, trigger foods for IBS C and D are the same - fats and insoluble fiber, coffee and alcohol (basically, GI stimulants and irritants). Worst among the fats are red meats and dairy, because their proteins are also very difficult to digest. There's detailed information about why and how this can be given here web page

Also do a board search on constipation and fat, and constipation and insoluble fiber, for more info on this.

For the insoluble fiber, please pay attention to the fact that you don't just eliminate these foods as you do red meat and dairy. They need to be eaten, but carefully, for both c and d. Check here for info web page

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: distinction between trigger foods for C and D new
      #24010 - 10/20/03 12:12 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Not stupid at all, in fact I asked almost the same thing when I first started Heathers diet! I'm IBS C and assumed that if the greasy fatty food gave most people D, shouldn't it help me go?? I'm sure I won't explain it as medically as Heather did but the basic thing is....

Anytime you eat anything, it signals your colon to contract, something called a peristolic trigger. Most people with IBS D eat something and there colon goes spastic and pushes it out before the body can absorb the excess water and thus you get D. If someone prone to C eats the greasy food it triggers this peristolic reaction and our colons spasm so tight nothing gets through and thats what casues the C. The greasy, fatty food sits like a big lump in our spasmed colon and our body absorbs to much of the water making it even harder to pass.

Eating all safe foods, like rice and pasta(soluble fiber) will keep the colon from spasming. Now I have to be careful to make sure I still get enough insoluble fiber, if I eat nothing but soluble fiber my C is actually worse! Its a balancing act for me, one I'm still working on! If I cheat and do have the big, juicy greasy cheeseburger and fry I do feel SO much worse! Talk about the bloating being even worse than usual if thats possible. Thats the general explanation, I'm sure Heather can elaborate for you!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4732 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 427

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review