All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Almond Milk?
      #239942 - 01/19/06 02:51 PM
penpal

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Pacific Northwest

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a few days but decided to join in. I've found some good info here about "safe" foods. I have had IBS-C and diverticulosis for 7 long years. I just yesterday started using the acacia fiber in very small doses. I've been doing Heather's soluble fiber diet for a few days and have been feeling better already. I get most of my pain at night time when I lay on my left side, which really interferes with my sleep. I'm starting out each day with oatmeal and I eat soluble fiber first (sweet potato, etc.) before I eat meat. I only eat chicken and fish anyway, so at least I don't have to give up red meat. I read here that some people have had luck eating ground turkey - I'll give that a try. I'd like to know if anyone else is using almond milk. I like it a lot and buy mine from Trader Joe's. It's about the same calories as low fat milk. I use it for making protein smoothies.

--------------------
Penny

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Almond Milk? new
      #240070 - 01/19/06 10:22 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Welcome! Sounds like you are following the IBS eating guidelines really well!

I drink chocolate almond milk sometimes. The brand I buy contains carrageenan which can bother some IBSers (and me if I have too much). If you do a search you should find more discussions on almond milk.

#240201 - 01/20/06 09:53 AM
penpal

Thanks for the info. I seem to be doing ok on almond milk. There didn't seem to be too many posts about it when I did a search - just thought I'd share something that was working for me.

I'm on my first week of the SF diet and so far I'm doing a lot better. I've had two days without much pain, and that's a record! It seems almost too good to be true that making these few changes (eating oatmeal, cutting out certain veggies) can have such a positive effect, so I'm hoping it lasts.

--------------------
Penny

#240212 - 01/20/06 10:39 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Almond milk is delicious (however, I find the carrageenan really triggers me). I do sometimes indulge in the Vanilla flavour (& then think, it sure could use a little corruption!). It is possible to make your own Almond milk as well, but I'm lazy! I do prefer the taste of Almond & Hazelnut milk over Rice Milk. I'm using a natural, unsweetened Soy Milk at the moment. The brand is "natur-a." I prefer it currently because it does not contain the sugars that other soy & rice milks contain (sugar aggravates my acid reflux). "So Nice" makes a natural soy milk as well.
I'm only using it in very tiny amounts, though, as my stomach is not acquainted with soy milk.

Kate, IBS-D.

#240239 - 01/20/06 12:03 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Penpal! I prefer the taste of almond milk to soy milk and have been drinking it with no problems since September. I rarely drink it by itself and usually just use it for smoothies, baking, etc. I like the Almond Breeze brand. I don't know if that's available at Trader Joe's or not.

#240341 - 01/20/06 04:20 PM
penpal

I've never heard of hazelnut milk before! I just use the plain almond milk. I don't think I have a real problem with dairy, but I have cut out cottage cheese, goat cheese (which I love) & hard cheese. I'm not too keen on the taste of soy milk but I know a lot of people like it.

--------------------
Penny

Re: Hazelnut Milk new
      #240370 - 01/20/06 09:00 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Pacific Foods makes a fabulous Hazelnut milk. Also, I think their Almond milk is much better than the Diamond Breeze variety. However, of the two "not-milks" (actually better than milk & better for you than milk) I think Hazelnut is much more decadent.

I tried a new rice milk, tonight made by "Yu" beverages--basmati rice milk. Actually, it doesn't have that very subtle aftertaste that Rice Dream has (at least to me). Still, I prefer natural soy milk or almond milk as the sugars in rice milk are just too obscene for my taste & offend my body.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Hazelnut Milk new
      #240508 - 01/21/06 08:30 PM
penpal

I will look for the hazelnut milk. Thanks for the info

--------------------
Penny

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1734

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review