All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I've been reading about the link between artificial sweeteners especially fructose and IBS...
      #238778 - 01/16/06 01:56 AM
ibsy

Reged: 12/12/05

has anybody heard this before or have any experience of it? I'm trying to cut it out as an experiment but my diet is so limited already I'd like to know if you think it's worth it or not!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well, a little clarification... new
      #238782 - 01/16/06 04:22 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, fructose is NOT an artificial sweetener. Fructose is the naturally-occuring sugar in fruit. High doses of fructose CAN be an IBS trigger, but not necessarily. That's why some of us avoid high-fructose corn syrup. Others (like me) can handle fructose just fine. But if you're having trouble stabilizing and you still consume a lot of products with fructose in it, it's worth a try to eliminate it.

On the other hand, artificial sweeteners - aspartame (Equal), sucralose (Splenda), maltitol, sorbitol, malitol, etc - are DEFINITELY an IBS trigger and should be avoided completely. Artificial sweeteners can cause digestive problems for people with completely normal systems, so just imagine the havoc they can wreak on someone with IBS!

Hope that helps!

Re: Oh right! new
      #238786 - 01/16/06 04:56 AM
ibsy

That must be where I've been going wrong then cuz my pain is still really bad most of the time without any reason I could see. But fructose is in lots of other things tooisn't it? Can i eat honey?

Re: I've been reading about the link between artificial sweeteners especially fructose and IBS... new
      #238788 - 01/16/06 05:27 AM
M_J

Reged: 04/20/04

here's a good article about HFSC-
"Among a group of 80 IBS patients, 30 were diagnosed with fructose intolerance (an inability to properly absorb fructose in the digestive tract). " article

and another article

It seems like high fructose corn syrup should fall into the category of artificial sweetners.

It's certainly seems worth exploring.

best regards. M

#238791 - 01/16/06 05:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Unless you are VERY sensitive to fructose, normal amounts of honey should be fine (and I can't imagine you're going to start eating it by the jarful! ). Personally, I'm fine with normal amounts of fructose (tho the concentrated HFCS doesn't often come my way).

You HAVE cut out artificial sweeteners tho, haven't you? They are AWFUL!

#238811 - 01/16/06 07:08 AM
ibsy

Well no... not really! Cut down more than cut out! But i'm going to cuz I'm not a well bunny at the moment and i want to be! Can't help feeling like i should be well with all the care and attention i give to my diet! Pleased I know this now tho! I'll cut them out right now! Everything I have learnt has been from this site and heathers book! Can't believe my GP was so useless and the even the dietician was more reassuring than helpful! It's kinda sad really!

Don't buy the fructose powder either.. new
      #238859 - 01/16/06 10:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I see this sweetener in the HFS....and think it would be just as bad for you as all the other artificial sweeteners.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yeah, that's par for the course new
      #238864 - 01/16/06 10:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You would THINK that doctors would know more about diet, but I really think med school teaches them to fix things with pills, not food. The dietician, well, there's no excuse there! But I found that too, that "professionals" are really no help at all when it comes to diet advice.

Anyway... hope you feel better!

i can't tolerate high fructose corn syrup or pectin -nt- new
      #238912 - 01/16/06 11:58 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

Re: i can't tolerate high fructose corn syrup or pectin -nt- new
      #239691 - 01/19/06 05:22 AM
Brad

Reged: 11/08/04

I started avoiding high fructose corn syrup and have been nearly symptom free for over a year now. I was able to cut out most of my intake by switching from regular soft drinks to diet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review