All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
questions from the mom of a beginner - thank you !
      #23656 - 10/16/03 09:58 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hello ! I have a few more beginner's questions.
-- Soy is listed as a soluble fiber - does that mean that soy milk could be used as a good base of soluble fiber at a meal? -- i'm pretty sure this is right since you recommend it for smoothies -- but it doesn't seem like beans would be a soluble fiber -- ?
-- The FiberCon doesn't clearly list the grams of soluble fiber per capsule like some of the other brands.(at least the powders do that).... I believe it would be that 2 caps have one gram of soluble fiber -- is this right?
-- Are almonds ok for most people when mixed with a soluble fiber?
-- I am wondering about fish oil supplements - I did a search on this message board and it seems that they are generally ok taken with a soluble fiber. My daughter (IBC, probably, not diagnosed) has been taking 3 caps a day which comes to 3 grams of fat altogether -- does that seem ok?
-- I was wondering how avocados would be considered a soluble fiber when they have alot of fat ???
-- Is the idea with fat that you would avoid completely bad fat -- animal fat -- and go very lightly and mix it with soluble fiber - the good fats -- olive oil, i can't think of what else......?
--- Has anyone heard of a connection with this and acne? I did a message board search, but didn't get a whole lot. My daughter has had acne for 6 years, she is 18 now -- her face also looks kind of irritated alot. I really would like to help her with that, its such a curse and she has been so brave about it. Proactiv has done nothing for her, nor has any other product. She had deep cleansing facials for years -- and that maybe controlled it a little, but it never cleared up, antibiotics made her very sick, stopped after 3 days --- she is getting acupuncture for it now -- no results yet....... any ideas ?
--- Are rice cakes a good soluble fiber, even tho they are brown rice? -- what about rice crackers, like the japanese type ones sold in the health food stores (round and thin and crisp) ??
--- Heather, I have a needed product idea for you -- i looked at a ton of bars today -- i am preparing a package for for my daughter -- she started on the soluble fiber supplements today -- bars really help her to have something convenient to eat when she doesn't have time or isn't somewhere where she can eat a meal.. If you made an IBS friendly bar -- we would sure stock up on them! If you decide to ever do that, please make it without sugar, as she is kind of a health nut and tries to avoid all refined sugar. Honey is good, or barley malt.
--- Has anyone been helped for IBS by acupuncture? This was the only thing that got my daughter mostly (but not completely) back on track when she 1st got sick 8 months ago.

Thanks for your time -- sorry for so many questions !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: questions from the mom of a beginner - thank you ! new
      #23696 - 10/17/03 08:31 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Barb,

Here are some answers to your questions that can hopefully help:

- Going by the "squishable" rule, beans are very good soluble fiber. Personally, too many beans gives me gas, but not sure if this happens with everyone.

- Here's a link with suppliment dosages: web page

- Almonds are fine for some people, just as long as you have plenty of soluble fiber. There are some recipes on the Recipe board that have almonds in them.

- Not sure on the fish oil.

- Here's a link about avacados: web page

- Bad fat you should definitly avoid. The good fat (olive oil, canola oil, etcs) should be use lightly in recipes.

- As for the acne, I haven't heard of any direct connection but from personal experience, since I have started this diet, my acne has gone way down. Probably because I am no longer eating fatty foods and getting more exercise than I used to.

- Rice cakes can be great soluble fiber for me. Check the bag, though, as sometimes the flavored ones can have hidden bad ingredients.

- A lot of people have been helped by accupuncture. Do a board search with no time limits on this.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: questions from the mom of a beginner new
      #23698 - 10/17/03 09:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

With the beans, I think it's that the shells/coatings are insulble fibre but the inners are okay. So as soy milk is make from crushed beans, it's usually okay. But whole baked beans are high in insoluble fibre.

With the fat, just keep it to a minimum whatever type you use. Obviously olive oil, etc is healthier, but it's still a trigger for IBS. Animal fats, like butter, are usually dairy based, so this is bad for IBS. Follow the link angylroses posted for avocados - these are great!

With rice crackers, most people tolerate brown rice okay, but with the crackers the husks (what makes them brown) are all broken up anyway. Check the fat content on Japanese crackers, I don't know about these. Try corn crackers as well - this is what I snack on the most when I'm on the go. They're high in soluble fibre, practically fat-free, the plain ones taste like popcorn (yummy!) and they're intrinsically low-cal (I was eating these instead of crisps to lose weight before I started Heather's diet!).

I don't know about acne or acupuncture, but in future watch out for antibiotics. The oral types tend to strip the gut of healthy bacteria which isn't good. I now get drops for ear infections, instead of pills. Also, if you're daughter does have to take antibiotics again, get her to take more probiotics to try and replace the lost healthy bacteria.

Hope this helps! Linz

#23759 - 10/17/03 09:15 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Just wanted to thank you both for your helpful replies -- sent my daughter a big package with food today -- she started on the fiber supplements yesterday -- my husband and I are so hoping that this will be a turning point in her problems. Seems like I keep having more and more questions -- but I think I'm basically getting the principles figured out - which make alot of sense.

#23762 - 10/17/03 10:50 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Barb, just fyi, but here is a site for kids gi disorders. I missed how old she was however.

http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#23763 - 10/17/03 10:52 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

PS, by the way have you read Heather's "First Year IBS" book? That can be extremely helpful.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#23766 - 10/17/03 11:28 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

About the acne, I take a tablespoon of flaxseed oil a day and it gets rid of it great!! Before I had to be on The Pill in order for my zits to go away, but now I just take the flaxseed oil and it works just as well as The Pill You have to take it everyday for it to work the best though, and it takes a few weeks to kick in. Have her try it and see.

--------------------
IBS-C

#23775 - 10/18/03 02:43 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

My Daughter had horrible acne for years. She is now 17. She has been using a chemical free soap and neutralizer on her skin. Her acne has gone from covering her face, neck, and back to maybe two or three on her face. She tried all of the things that the dermotologist (sp?) told her to do and they only got her depressed. I do not know if you are allowed to mention product names on this message board. So if you would like the name and directions for use of this product, my email address is lesdoug@hotmail.com. Mention IBS and acne in the subject line as I tend to delete any messages from names I do not recognize. I hope that I can be of help.

re: acne question new
      #23808 - 10/18/03 11:04 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Quote:

--- Has anyone heard of a connection with this and acne? I did a message board search, but didn't get a whole lot. My daughter has had acne for 6 years, she is 18 now -- her face also looks kind of irritated alot. I really would like to help her with that, its such a curse and she has been so brave about it. Proactiv has done nothing for her, nor has any other product. She had deep cleansing facials for years -- and that maybe controlled it a little, but it never cleared up, antibiotics made her very sick, stopped after 3 days --- she is getting acupuncture for it now -- no results yet....... any ideas ?

I don't know about a connection between IBS and acne. My family is very acne-prone--two of my three closest cousins and my sister all took Accutane at least once. My skin wasn't bad enough (all things being relative!), since Accutane is such a heavy-duty drug--you've got to be on birth control in order to take it, you've got to have your liver function monitored, etc. But for those three girls it was a blessing and might be worth checking into for your daughter.

You say her skin looks "irritated." Has she been tested for food allergies? That might be worth looking into as well.

Finally, I have tried every single face wash available at CVS, plus several OTC and prescription creams, plus at least one round of antibiotics--nothing helped for me but time (I'm 21 now, and my skin has looked progressively better since I graduated high school).

I use Weleda Calendula Baby Soap in the shower, and a face wash that contains tea tree oil at the sink. When my skin feels dry, I use my Aubrey Natural Organics unscented hand lotion on my face. At a certain point, I just got sick of using chemicals on my face that weren't doing any good, so this works for me.

Good luck!

Re: re: acne question new
      #23811 - 10/18/03 11:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

This may sound strange, but my Bro and I found that reducing salt intake made a big difference with acne.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2638

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review