All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Too many meds?
      #23521 - 10/15/03 03:45 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, I'm starting to stabilise on the diet and I'm getting better at sticking to it. So I'm starting to think about my meds... I am on sooo many pills, it's just ridiculous! My docs have been giving me more and more meds since I was diagnosed, trying to control every symptom and cover all the bases.

Currently, I'm supposed to have...
1. Immodium (Loperamide) once a day.
2. Lansoprazole for heartburn once a day.
3. Spasmonal (Alverine citrate) 3 times a day as an anti-spasmodic.
4. Colpermin (Peppermint oil) 3 times a day as another anti-spasmodic.
5. Citalopram for depression.
6. Fybogel, a fibre supplement, 2 times a day.

I also take 1 multivitamin and up to 3 probiotic pills a day.

This adds up to 13 pills and 2 supplements a day, which seems insane! Although, I'm not taking the Colpermin (Peppermint) atm as I've had problems with it.

Does anyone have any ideas about stuff I could possibly cut back on (with my doc's approval of course). I can't stop taking the Citalopram, and I'd hate the idea of not taking the Lansoprazole and Loperamide as they've been life changing. But 13 pills is nuts!

Linz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too many meds? new
      #23525 - 10/15/03 05:07 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I assume that you have IBS-D since you said you take Immodium once a day. If so, I'm curious as to why you are taking Celexa. I understand that you are taking it for depression but I think it is one of the antidepressants prescribed for IBS-C because it usually causes diarrhea!!!
(I know that's what my GI doc told me and I also have read that online.) If this is the case, maybe switching to another antidepressant will alleviate your diarrhea.

Okaaay! new
      #23526 - 10/15/03 05:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh! I had no idea about this...I'll get in touch with my doc. This could explain why I always seem to need the Immodium.

Thanks BeagleLover!

Linz

Re: Too many meds? new
      #23558 - 10/16/03 01:06 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Consider yourself lucky that your doctor is taking you seriously. My GI prescribed Librax which does not work for me at all. He has me taking Citrucel which does help with the D. Other than that, nothing. I am currently trying to find a good Dr. in Tucson Az.
It sounds like your docs are really trying to help you.
I wish you the best of luck getting your symptoms under control. You are in the right place.

Re: Okaaay! new
      #23567 - 10/16/03 07:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, I'm confused abouth that too! As BL said Celexa caused D, I'm on Lexapro which is a variation of Celexa, my DR switched me from Wellbutrin to Lexapro because Wellbutrin is supposed to cause C and Lexapro D!I'm IBS C. Sounds like you may want to switch to a different anti-depressant. Hopefully than you can cut back on the immodium. Also have you tried cutting back on the anti-spasmodics? I take mine only when I'm having problems. Maybe ask your DR about cutting back on that too! So glad to hear your feeling better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Yes, Wellbutrtin does.... new
      #23600 - 10/16/03 11:05 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

cause terrible C. At least it did for me. I've heard others say it did the same thing to them. So if you're IBS-C, stay away from it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1877 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1461

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review