All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about meds!
      #23471 - 10/15/03 11:18 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm fed up with my IBS problems, so I'm going into the doctor tomorrow morning to asking about getting put on some prescription meds. I've done a bunch of research on what's available, and I have a list to take with me, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal stories to share. I would really appreciate hearing about your successes and failures. Reading about the meds on a page is one thing, but hearing how they have affected real people is another thing entirely. I've never been officially told which type of IBS I have, but I assume it's IBS-C. I used to alternate more, but since starting Heather's diet it's almost totally C. Anyway, I'd appreciate anything you could tell me. Thanks!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about meds! new
      #23478 - 10/15/03 11:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Are you sure you are eating enough insoluble fiber. when I first started Heathers diet I was a little confused and didn't eat hardly any insoluble fiber and that made my constipation much worse! I personally take Lexapro, an anti-depressant/anxienty med-helps keep my mental state even and its a lot easier to deal with the IBS. I take Mira-Lax, a laxative powder once a day in the am-works great at keeping things moving, does cause a little D and gas but its a lot better than not going! I take 8 fibercon a day and drink a TON of water, and do a lot of cardio exercise-the exercise helps a lot! I have some Levsin, its suppose to help keep the colon for spasming or help it relax but its not very effective for me. What EXACTLY are your symptoms??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#23587 - 10/16/03 09:35 AM
Kree

Thanks for responding to my post, Michele! I actually didn't have time to check back here before my appointment this morning, so it's too late as far as the meds are concerned, but thank you so much for your advice anyway! I admit that the exercise aspect is one that I tend to neglect, so I really should start working on that for my own good. And you're right, I do shy away from insoluble fiber sometimes, but that's because I've had so much trouble getting this under control and it's bothered me so many times that I'm afraid to have too much. Anyway, those are both things I can work on, and I intend to. I did get a prescription for Bentyl, too, so I'm hoping that helps. Thanks again!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#23592 - 10/16/03 10:15 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Kree!

Try starting out with some smoothies, pureed pasta sauces, or soups. They make it really easy and safe to get some insoluble in. There are some soups & sauces on the Recip Exchange. If you have trouble finding them let me know. I'm kind of in a hurry right now or I'd direct you to some. I've got to get back to work from lunch break!

#23793 - 10/18/03 09:34 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm IBS-C as well. I tried Bentyl about four years ago and it didn't do a thing for me. I tried Zelnorm this summer and at the full dose it gave me diarrhea and at the half dose it didn't do anything for me. This fall, an urgent care doc gave me Symax. It doesn't help either. So apparently some of us are resistant to all IBS meds . I take generic Fibercon pills, 2 before bed and 2 before restaurant or holiday meals. I know I should take more like 8 a day, but lately I've been "going" every day, so apparently this works for me.

#23798 - 10/18/03 09:58 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Kree, at the bottom of this page is a drug listing that may be helpful.

http://www.fdhn.org/html/education/gi/ibs_guide.html

also take this to the doctor with you as it can save time and help alot.

Ten questions to ask your doctor.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=13683

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#23800 - 10/18/03 10:02 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

here is one more for you.

Current Pharmacologic Treatments of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
By: Tony Lembo, M.D. and Rebecca Rink, M.S., Division of Gastroenterology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/Pharma.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Thanks! new
      #25731 - 11/06/03 06:38 AM
Kree

I just wanted to thank you all for responding! I somehow lost track of this thread, so I never saw all the wonderful suggestions and info you gave me, but I really appreciate it! I've been on the Bentyl for a few weeks now, and although it might be helping slightly, it's nothing really noticable. So I think I'm going to start really concentrating on getting my fiber, and possibly look into trying a different drug. Thanks again everyone, you're great!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5926 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review