All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions about starting the diet -- for Heather if possible - and others too
      #23452 - 10/15/03 08:17 AM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hello - thank you for the help with the Fiberclear. A few more questions as I advise my daughter on trying your diet.... She likes honey in herbal teas. She has raw, unfiltered honey -- would a teaspoon or two of that be ok in peppermint and chamomile teas for this diet or should she avoid it? Also, I saw that you recommended soy yogurt -- what about soy milk and tofu? And one more -- on the website -- you recommended that when a person starts on soluble fiber supplements they start by taking them morning and night and before meals (does that mean like maybe 5 times a day altogether?) In another place on the same page, you say to start with taking it twice a day -- so I am confused as to how to advise her to get started. Thank you so much for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions about starting the diet -- for Heather if possible - and others too new
      #23466 - 10/15/03 11:03 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - sweetening tea with honey is okay. Soy milk & tofu are great. Just make sure you have them with your soluble fiber base. If you check the Recipe Exchange board, you'll see that there are lots of recipes with soy milk & tofu.

For the fiber supplements, that's morning and night before meals or 2x. Once before breakfast in the morning, then once before supper in the evening.

Hope that helps you get things figured out!

Re: Questions about starting the diet -- for Heather if possible - and others too new
      #23469 - 10/15/03 11:15 AM
barb n

Thank you for your helpful reply. I guess I am still confused about starting the fiber supplements because in one place Heather says 2x a day, like you said, but in another place she says "to initially stabilize yourself, try taking a soluble fiber supplement first thing in the morning as soon as you awake, before meals, and again before bedtime." Doesn't that sound like more than twice a day and more than just before 2 meals? Thanks.

#23474 - 10/15/03 11:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi, the Honey I think is ok. Anything soy or tofu is great. I love soy meatless meatballs. I actually prefer the rice dream "milk" and "cheese" over the soy products but its just a matter of personal taste! The fiber supplements I take am and pm, but a think a lot of other people take them with meals. Hopefully Heather will have a second to advise you there. Good luck.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#23496 - 10/15/03 02:42 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Barb,

Here's a link about soluble fiber amounts that might help you: web page

--------------------
- Jennifer

#23508 - 10/15/03 03:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Most people end up taking the supplement twice a day. But to stabilize, it's helpful to divide up your total daily dosage in to 3-5 smaller doses, spread out through the day, so you're keeping your gut filled with soluble fiber at all times. After you stabilize, and as you've gradually increased your individual doses, you can drop back to just a morning and evening dose to stay stable. What really matters is that you're using the supplement regularly, working up to the maximum daily dosage till you reach the point where you're stable and staying that way.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#23524 - 10/15/03 04:28 PM
barb n

Thank you, everyone. Very helpful. Heather -- that makes sense -- sooo-- to start should she take only 2 teaspoons a day altogether, broken up into 3-5 doses OR should she take 1 teaspoon/3-5 x a day??? sorry to ask for so much detail - i realize there is some experimentation involved, but i need my directions to her to be somewhat clear-- especially at first. Thank you.

#23535 - 10/15/03 06:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Check the label for the grams of soluble fiber per teaspoon dose. Have her take a dose that is 1 gram of fiber, 3-4 times a day to start. If she's doing okay after 3-4 days, increase that dose to 2 grams per dose. Just keep gradually (and this could take a few weeks) increasing the dose until she's up to about 12 grams per day. Remember, LOTS of water!

Also, the fiber will work no matter when you take it, but it's a great buffer before meals. Also good to take first thing in the morning, and again before bedtime.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#23589 - 10/16/03 09:43 AM
barb n

Thank you so much for the specific reply, Heather -- that was really what I needed. I'm really impressed and grateful with how helpful everyone is here.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2097 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review