All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
breaking the "break the cycle" cycle
      #233295 - 12/22/05 09:49 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

OK, so, as some of you know, I just had surgery to clean out a bunch of endometriosis. My appendix was removed at the same time. I was on painkillers for awhile and was mildly C, but the day after I went off, I was back to D.

I really have no appetite anyway so I've just been mainly eating fat-free saltines. I really need to eat better stuff because my body is starting to show signs of mainly living on bread/crackers the last four months -- nails, hair, skin are all horrible!!!

So, what can I eat that's ultra-ultra-safe that actually has nutrients? I'm also eating potatoes when I have enough energy to peel them, but I don't think they've got much other than potassium.

I am usually too tired to do much cooking, so I need easy options. The vegetable puree thing sounds like a good idea, but since I hate the vast majority of vegetables, they would have to be disguised in something else, like maybe soup or something.

I'm trying to do prenatal vitamins, but I've never had much luck with vitamins in the past. I'll try to stick it out anyway. I want to try getting pregnant in March/April, but I need to be healthy enough first.

Suggestions please?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breaking the "break the cycle" cycle new
      #233304 - 12/22/05 10:17 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Jen,

Can you eat Luna Bars? They are an important source of nutrition for me and seem to set just fine. What about sweet potatoes? You can just throw one in the oven for several hours wrapped in tin foil and they are delicious (IMO) and extremely nutritious. I also eat Progresso Vegetable soup and Wolfgang Puck's thich hearty vegetable. I know you said you don't like veg., but Wolfgang's soup doesn't really taste like vegetables somehow. It's good. I also eat Quorn and it works for me. I also have a variety of soy products that I like, but I can't remember if you can eat soy. If not then I guess Lunas are out too. If you can eat soy, let me know and I'll post a list later when I have a bit more time.

I hope you can eat something besides saltines today!

Laura

#233305 - 12/22/05 10:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SF veg and protein sources! Lots of squash (delicious roasted), etc and fish or chicken. Gotta get used to feeding yourself properly or you'll get really ill when pg with a baby sucking you of nutrients.

#233314 - 12/22/05 10:30 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

What about some homemade chicken soup? I know it takes time and effort to chop things up, but after that, it's just a let it simmer sort of thing.

Apple sauce?

#233318 - 12/22/05 10:38 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Jen! Sorry to hear about everything you've been dealing with! How's your recovery coming along?

Well, as far as breaking the BTC cycle goes, I would recommend soups. This is what gave me more confidence in eating. I started with a chicken vegetable soup, a really easy recipe because I was really tired. Basically, since I didn't have the energy to do a lot of chopping, I would buy baby carrots (no need to peel or chop), white baby potatoes (the skins are thin enough you don't have to peel them and you can just chop them in half), two celery stalks (sliced however you like), pre-cooked chopped chicken breast (or cook one breast myself, chop it, then toss it into the pot once the veggies were tender), a cup or two of water and a cup of chicken or vegetable broth. Boil until vegetables are tender, add chicken, simmer. That's not exactly it, so I'll try to find the exact recipe and post it on the recipe board today along with another easy, "immune-boosting" soup I like.

Along with this I made a lot of pumpkin cranberry bread (2 loaves at a time so I could freeze one), but Heather's breads are excellent. Also, I would have crackers, but start incorporating corn tortillas since they contain a bit more calcium, go well with soups, and are pretty easy to digest.

How about bean dips? I don't know if you're at a place where you can tolerate any amount of beans or legumes, but if you can, I'd recommend pureeing beans (black, brown, lentil). They're a good source of iron and other nutrients and fiber. I find them easier to tolerate if I eat them in small amounts (about 2 T) with rice, flour and/or corn tortillas, and chamomile tea. Really, this combo has really allowed me to eat beans frequently and safely.

I hope this helps.

jen1013.... new
      #233328 - 12/22/05 10:57 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I was going to ask before, but I wasn't sure where you were on the whole...wanting to get pregnant thing. I'm glad you'll be healthy first! Incidentally, I can't believe you can eat FF saltines---I tried them once and felt like I was eating cardboard!
I wish I had some prenatal vitamin advice--I've been on them for about 3 months now, no problems--but I've never had problems from vitamins of any kind.
I also recommend eating chicken..you can do so many things with chicken, and beans if you can. What veggies do you like? If you like sweet potatoes, you can microwave them just like regular potatoes.

Ginger

--------------------

Re: Okay, I just posted the simple soups I make on the recipe board. -nt- new
      #233332 - 12/22/05 11:10 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Re: Be careful with the Luna Bars..... new
      #233347 - 12/22/05 12:01 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm not really all that stable and thought I would be fine with Luna Bars, so I ate a half for a few days and they consistently upset my stomach. Too many nutrients at one time, I think. I'm still on the starchy diet, like you and I'm trying to find more nutrients, too.

If you're going to try it, start with just a bit at a time. I eat about 2 bites a couple times a day (AFTER A POTATO OR SOMETHING VERY SOLUBLE!!!) and that's all my stomach can handle. Mine is really sensitive to vitamins, like yours.

So, just a note.....take it easy! Don't eat the whole bar at one time!! LOL!! It will more than likely HURT LIKE HELL, later on. Just my personal experience....

Good Luck and just know that we're here for you. Glad to hear that you are recovering okay.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#233363 - 12/22/05 01:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I posted a recipe called "What Filipinos Feed You When You're Sick...". It's a very simple rice based "soup" with ginger, chicken and a touch of onion and garlic. It's extremely soothing on the tummy, and super easy to make - one pot!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Be careful with the Luna Bars..... new
      #233369 - 12/22/05 01:18 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i agree about cation with luna bars - i handle them fine when i'm stable, but i wouldn't even try them if i was feeling iffy, and my iffy is a lot less severe, i think, than where you are.

i think sweet potatoes and soups are a good bet. sweet potatoes are one of my safest foods - poke some fork holes in the skin, microwave for 8-12 minutes till very soft, then peel and mash with a fork - great with salt, if that's your style. well-cooked veggie soups are great, too. also, lots of people seem to do well with apple sauce - just make sure it's not chunky, since that's extra IF. babyfoods are good for fruit purees, and veggies, too, if you like the taste. in terms of protein, i find hardboiled egg whites to be very easy and soothing. bagels also have a surprising amount of protein, for a bread product, and since with the saltine diet you're probably hurting for calories, too, they're good and densely packed.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review