All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
IBS and Aloe Vera Juice
      #232995 - 12/21/05 05:10 AM
Joann623

Reged: 12/21/05

After months of agonizing tests and no help from 3 gastro's, it looks like I have IBS. Not as severe as some but it is definitely impacting my life. Epidodes of slight cramping and diarhea are mostly my problem. My family Dr. gave me Librax although I haven't taken it cause i'm nervous about the side effects. I went to a Naturopathic Dr. and she told me to put Aloe Vera Juice in my water twice a day cause it heals the intestines. Does anyone know if the Aloe Vera Juice will actually help or should I stay away from it? And has anyone taken Librax and if so should I be nervous? The fealing of desperation is overwhelming..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Aloe Vera Juice new
      #233002 - 12/21/05 05:53 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

There are many posts about Aloe on the site. It would be good to do a little web reserch also. Not everyone reacts the same to meds and herbs.

This should take you to the news letter.

Aloe IBS News Leter

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

#233007 - 12/21/05 06:27 AM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I take Librax. I haven't really had much trouble with side effects from it. I started off with just one per day, but during "attack mode" I increase it to 3/day. I also see a naturopath and I take a probiotic and herbal formulas (Nature's Sunshine IBS formula and Slippery Elm.) My new GI doc is talking about taking me off the Librax because he doesn't like the side effects, but I'm not sure about that one! I guess the only thing to say is.....
Welcome to the club!

About Librax... new
      #233008 - 12/21/05 06:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are you a C or a D? My doc put me on librax, but I'm afraid it will increase my C..I'm a big C person. I'm on Miralax and think the Librax would cause the C to be even worse.

Quote:

I take a probiotic and herbal formulas (Nature's Sunshine IBS formula and Slippery Elm.

Which is the probiotic and which is the herbal formulas? I'm confused here. Where did you get the Nature Sunshine IBS formula? Is that the probiotic?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Meep..... new
      #233018 - 12/21/05 07:00 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I just posted this somewhere else.....my doctor told me that Librax didn't work and when I asked him if I could try it he straight-up told me "NO". Is it the side effects they're concerned about?? The only reason he gave me was that it didn't work worth a DA~M, (straight from the horses' mouth). So, I was kind of upset about that. It makes me wonder, then......why are soo many people on it??? It must be doing something right!!! I"m sooo ticked that he won't let me try it that I am going to ask my psychiatrist about it when I go in January. If he feels like it's an appropriate drug for my anxiety can he give it to me or does it have to be prescribed by a GI doc???? I REALLY WANT TO TRY THIS MED!!! It's like being a kid and being told "no".......you want to do it anyway, even more than you did before being told "NO"!!! I wanna know what they hype is all about!!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re:Well, I just looked it up..... new
      #233028 - 12/21/05 07:46 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

It says on the internet that if you have a hiatal hernia not to take Librax. I have a hiatal hernia, so maybe my doctor isn't as much of an idiot as I thought he was.....maybe he is looking out for me. ????

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: About Librax... new
      #233029 - 12/21/05 07:50 AM
Joann623

I am D. But not all the time. One Dr. told me it might not even be IBS, it might be chronic colitis!!! The Naturopathic Dr. is ordering some IBS repair kit for me and I found a Dr. in Minnesota who says he can help. I don't know if any of this is good for you or can actually help. I'm thinking I might just need to try the Librax when I have an attack and see what happens.. Thanks for your reply

#233049 - 12/21/05 09:09 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Okay, but
Quote:

Which is the probiotic and which is the herbal formulas? I'm confused here. Where did you get the Nature Sunshine IBS formula? Is that the probiotic?

What is this Doctor in Minnesota going to do with you? When you say you will take the Librax when having an attack, do you define attack as D?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#233069 - 12/21/05 10:08 AM
Joann623

Yes I do, which I know sounds minimal compared to the suffering a lot of people go through. I am confused myself as to wether or not it actually is IBS that I have. I get slight cramping in my lower left quadrant a lot but it isn't painful. Monthly cramps are worse to be honest. And if I eat something I obviously shouldn't, I get D. That's what my syptoms are. I was very sick over the summer with D and severe nausea, lost 30 pounds cause I wouldn't eat. When I did everything just went through me. That's how it started. I was like that for 2-3 months and then it just stopped and now I just get a little crampy and D if I eat certain foods. I noticed on Halloween I ate chocolate and nothing happened to me but 2 weeks ago I ate one to many cookies and had D and vomited. I am confused about all of this. 2 Gastro's said it was IBS, 1 Gastro said he doesn't know and my family Dr. said he thinks it chronic colitis. I have no idea if it really is IBS or colitis or what and how to treat it. This is the name of that website that the Dr. says he can help, he's in Ohio (my mistake)- IBS Treatment – Dr. Dahlman Online Thank you for replying...

#233218 - 12/21/05 07:52 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Earlier this year I used the Aloe Vera Juice (strawberry kiwi flavored) and at first it worked great, for like 2-3 months. I still had an episode everynow and then but nothing like before. But eventually my attacks started to make more appearances, so I gave up on the juice. It is hard to say if it was the juice that helped or I was just in a period of time where my body was doing ok, which happens about every 2-3 months for about 2 weeks. I would defintely give it shot and see how it does for you, even if it is just a period of rest, it is better then nothing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review