All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Antibiotics on an empty stomach...and IBS!
      #230174 - 12/08/05 01:28 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

Maybe someone has experience with taking antibiotics and could offer some advice. I'm a nursing mom and I was just given antibiotics yesterday because I developed a breast infection (ouchies!). I have to take 1 pill 4 times a day for 10 days. I am suppose to take it on an empty stomach, either 2 hours after or 1 hour before eating. But as you can all imagine, I feel so much worse when I let my stomach get empty. I've been doing great for 3 weeks at least now following the IBS diet and trying eat small amounts all day long...and it's worked! Now I feel a little nauseas because I can't eat for so long and have to take medicine (which never particularly agrees with my tummy). Any advice? Are you suppose to take the pills on an empty stomach just so they are better absorbed? I didn't get to go see my doc because she had no appointments (stupid, huh) and my symptoms and pain were very clear pointing towards a breast infection so I just picked up the prescription.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Amber

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hey, Amber don't worry about it..... new
      #230179 - 12/08/05 01:32 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

They tell you to take them on an empty stomach so they will be totally absorbed by your body and none of it can be absorbed by food. FORGET THAT CRAP!!! I cannot take an antibiotic on an empty stomach at all or I will puke!!! I just take it with a little food, okay maybe a lot and it has always been fine. I tried taking one antibiotic on an empty stomach after I got IBS and I thought I was going to die!!! Never again.......
Just don't overeat before taking it. Just eat like a piece of bread or something and it will be fine.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Antibiotics on an empty stomach...and IBS! new
      #230180 - 12/08/05 01:33 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am unble to take any antibotic other than Amoxicillin. It is ver week and you need to stay on it for ten days, but it is the only thing that I am able to handel w/out having major stomach cramps and D. You might want tot try this. It is the absolute safest!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: Hey, Amber don't worry about it..... new
      #230183 - 12/08/05 01:36 PM
Sweetd

Quote:

They tell you to take them on an empty stomach so they will be totally absorbed by your body and none of it can be absorbed by food. FORGET THAT CRAP!!! I cannot take an antibiotic on an empty stomach at all or I will puke!!! I just take it with a little food, okay maybe a lot and it has always been fine. I tried taking one antibiotic on an empty stomach after I got IBS and I thought I was going to die!!! Never again.......
Just don't overeat before taking it. Just eat like a piece of bread or something and it will be fine.

Michelle

Even then, I still can't take it after eating. I guess it depends on the person.

--------------------

Re: That's funny..... new
      #230184 - 12/08/05 01:37 PM
anlikerm

Amoxicillin is the ONLY antibiotic that I AM allergic to....my throat closes up and I break out in violent hives and start throwing up when I take amoxicillin.
Wild that they affect everyone differently. Glad that it works for you because that's what the doc always wants to give me. Seems like an inexpensive popular one.

Not popular with me!! LOL!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: That's funny..... new
      #230186 - 12/08/05 01:40 PM
Sweetd

That's true, I forgot about that. A lot of people can't take it if they are allergic to penicillin. If someone isn't alleric to it, then they would be able to take it.

--------------------

Re: Now That's REALLY funny..... new
      #230189 - 12/08/05 01:47 PM
anlikerm

Get this one.....I can take Penicillin NO PROB!!! EASY!! I just cannot have Amoxicillin or I will die. See I can have the real fungus (pen), just not the man-made synthetic version which is amox.
Wierd!!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Thanks... new
      #230193 - 12/08/05 02:14 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

...for getting back to me so quickly...yeah, i think i need to eat a little something so i don't feel like puking!. bread probably would be the best bet!

thanks again

Amber

Re: No Problem! new
      #230195 - 12/08/05 02:40 PM
anlikerm

Good luck!! I hate antibiotics.....Make sure and take a probiotic if you have any at the house. But, take them at least 2 hours apart. Or the antibiotic will kill the probiotics.

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Antibiotics on an empty stomach...and IBS! new
      #230229 - 12/08/05 04:17 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Do you need to make an appointment to talk to your doctor? Sometimes if I have a question or concern about a medication I'm taking I call and the receptionist relays those questions or concerns to the doctor. She then gets back to me later on.
Another thing you can do is perhaps talk to the pharmacist about it since they are very knowledgable about medicines and what is and isn't allowed.

Edited by Gracie (12/08/05 04:18 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review