All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Tylenol and diet
      #229942 - 12/07/05 03:02 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

Hi everyone, I just had a quick question.

Does anyone else find that their stomach is sensitive to EVERYTHING? I can't handle vitamins or tylenol! I've been following the IBS diet for weeks now and have felt great, but whenever I take Tylenol for a headache my stomach gets upset and queasy for a few hours. Is this in my head, or is it possible that it makes me feel this way? Anyone else the same way. I know that I'm usually tired when I take tylenol because the reason I have a headache is from lack of sleep. My 8 month old son is not a good sleeper (thank goodness he's adorable tho!) and I can definitely feel the effects of that!

Thanks for any help or support!!

Amber

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tylenol and diet new
      #229945 - 12/07/05 03:06 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hey! I have GERD and a hiatal hernia on top of the IBS!! So, yea..... my stomach is sensitive to everything!!! I cannot take a multivitamin and I can't even take a Tylenol either without my stomach being jacked up for HOURS!! I can't even take Benadryl.

So, I know how you feel. It Sucks!! OH, I just want an IRON GUT for christmas!!! That's all, nothing else......Is that too much to ask???
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

How are you diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia? new
      #229959 - 12/07/05 03:42 PM
AmberBoBamber

If you don't mind me asking, I was just curious. When I was pregnant w/ my son I had horrible heartburn and gas and pressure in my chest no matter what I ate. I didn't show much when I was pregnant, which the doctor told me was just because he was "growing deep inside on top of all my organs" causing all the discomfort I described. I tried to research my symptoms since the doctors pretty much told me I was being a drama queen. I came across the term hiatal hernia and read that it could develop during pregnancy. If you have any info on your condition, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you so much!!!

Re: How are you diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia? new
      #229964 - 12/07/05 04:09 PM
anlikerm

I had my endoscopy/colonoscopy on Nov 8th and the doc found it then. Before he knew it was a hiatal hernia, I was just diagnosed with having acid reflux.

He thinks I was born with it because I have had stomach problems off and on, my whole life.

It's when the stomach protrudes up through the esophagus. It sucks!! There are a lot of people that have hiatal hernia's and show no symptoms. But, then when the reflux gets bad like mine is now, it really flares up. I wasn't able to eat hardly anything for the past two months. You're right, I don't have typical acid reflux symptoms. I have horrible chest pain, constantly!!! No matter what I eat....but, no burning or regurgitation (until this week). I don't have the typical heartburn/reflux symptoms. I just feel sick!!! A good way to tell is not being able to burp right.....not like normal people do. My burps sound like a frog! I can't burp right because of my stomach being partially in my throat!!! LOL!!

I have dropped alot of weight really quickly....but, right now I'm on Nexium and it's working out pretty good. I am able to eat a little bit more. If I wouldn't have responded to this med I would have had to have surgery to correct the hernia because I didn't respond to any of the other PPI's. It has been a horrible horrible past couple of months and I don't wish a hiatal hernia on anyone!!!! But, I'm getting better now. At least I am not bedridden anymore!!

So, I guess the only way you would know for sure if you had one is to get a endoscopy or a X-ray. Sometimes if they are bad enough they will show up on an Upper GI series. But, mine didn't show up on the upper GI. He didn't see it until he did the scope. It was no fun!!!

Good Luck!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: OH, and I get full immediately..... new
      #229967 - 12/07/05 04:11 PM
anlikerm

After I start eating, I get full immediately because some of the food gets stuck in my hernia and takes a million years to digest.....I guess. That's the way the doctor put it. So, I eat very little , a whole lot throughout the day. Well, I try. But sometimes I'm starving to death and cannot help but to keep eating and then I get really sick!!! Reflux City!!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Good luck w/ the rest of your treatment(s) new
      #229981 - 12/07/05 05:51 PM
AmberBoBamber

Gosh, that really sounds difficult to cope with. At least you have been diagnosed. Sometimes it can be harder not knowing what's wrong with you when you feel sick constantly. I'm glad Nexium is working out for you. My Uncle has terrible heartburn (though I'm sure no where near as painful as yours!) and tried so many different medications before finding one that worked for him. What a long, painful road you have had to take. Hopefully things will only continue to get better and you will be able to find a lot of support here and with your family. Thanks for sharing so much with me, I really appreciate it.

Take care, I'm sure I"ll see you around the message boards.

Amber

Re: AWWW, Thanks Amber! *Hugs* ~nt~ new
      #229989 - 12/07/05 06:18 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

AmberBoBamber~ Did you have IBS before you got pregnant? new
      #229991 - 12/07/05 06:30 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Hello- I was wondering if you had IBS before your pregnancy? I developed or my symptoms were triggered after I gave birth to my son. He is now 2 years old and for the most part I am stable. I remember the first year being absolutely horrible. My first attack was when we went to the zoo with 11 other people (how embarassing)! I have not talked to anyone who developed IBS after just recently giving birth. Look forward to talking to you~

Re: Tylenol and diet new
      #230057 - 12/08/05 07:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Check the "other ingredients" list on your Tylenol. I know all the soluble painkillers over here contain artificial sweeteners and some of the tablets contain weird fillers.

Re: No, I didn't have IBS before becoming pregnant.... new
      #230070 - 12/08/05 08:48 AM
AmberBoBamber

In fact, it all started while I was pregnant! I couldn't tolerate anything. In fact, I lost a lot of weight while I was pregnant because I would get painful gas and D whenever I ate. Then, after my son was born, I think that the lack of sleep/stress of parenthood (even though it is wonderful:)) just caught up with me and I would have attacks that lasted a week a more. I've really found the Acacia fiber to help, as well as drinking lots of peppermint tea and some fennel when I'm extra gassy. I'm not sure if I mentioned this in a different post, but my son weighed 6 lbs 15 ounces when born, which is a pretty normal weight. However, I hardly showed because he was in the womb so deep inside of me! I had to have extra sonograms and whatnot because I was measuring so small and they thought he wasn't growing properly (but he was). So pretty much, that just meant that the baby was so far inside me that he was just smashing all of my organs! I was pretty darn uncomfortable my whole pregnancy. Then, after my son was born and after having several week long attacks, I went to the doctor and had several tests done and was told have IBS. I don't know if you have gone through all of Heather's website, but there is a small section that talks about how pregnancy can be such a traumatic experience for your gut/stomach/colon etc that you develop IBS from it. So I figure that is a pretty good evidence to suggest that it is possible I did develop IBS during/after pregnancy! Also, I've read in several books about IBS that most people develop IBS symptoms starting around age 20. Again, I don't know how accurate that is, because I know some people have it their entire life, but several sources have said such. Well, I'm only 21 now and was 20 when I was pregnant and gave birth, so maybe I would have developed it regardless of pregnancy? Who knows, but that is what I've learned and read from different sources.

Hope I helped! And like you, it's nice to know that we are not the only ones who developed IBS right after giving birth...now I have someone who can relate to the sudden onset!

I've been stable for a few weeks now, but I sometimes feel a little sicker than normal when I'm tired. It really is hard having a baby and getting enoug sleep/controlling stress to reduce attacks. My little one still won't sleep through the night at 8 months! How did you cope with IBS when you son was younger? Or even now! 2 year olds are just a bundle of energy I hear!

Good luck, take care, and I hope to hear from you!

Amber

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review