All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
??Safe Herbs..for lactating (nursing) mom
      #229934 - 12/07/05 02:35 PM
amontillado

Reged: 12/07/05
Loc: Wyoming

I'm a nursing mother. My IBS has gotten severely worse.
I'm interested in herbal and tea remedies, but am concerned about it's effect on my milk and infant son. I do know that some herbs for increasing milk supply,etc, like comfrey, are dangerous for infants. Any help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ??Safe Herbs..for lactating (nursing) mom new
      #229985 - 12/07/05 06:01 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I don't have the answers for you, but would encourage you to speak to a dr. or a lactation consultant about this - rather than advice from us non-trained people on the boards. I've read that many herbs are as serious a problem as drugs when breast feeding. Proceed with caution! - Dan (dad to Ella age 9months)

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I would ............... new
      #229995 - 12/07/05 06:35 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I would run this one by your childs dr. They should know a little more then your OB. Good luck on your research and I would love to know what you come up with. I have a 2 year old son and we are trying for another and this is great information to know.

Re: ??Safe Herbs..for lactating (nursing) mom new
      #230001 - 12/07/05 07:30 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I am also a nursing mother right now (8 month old son ) My IBS has gotten a lot worse since pregnancy/giving birth. I have been drinking Heather's Tummy Teas and taking the Acacia fiber supplement and following the IBS Diet and am still making as much milk as ever. Of course I checked with two lactation consultants first to see if peppermint and fennel tea were safe while breastfeeding and was told by both that they are fine. In fact, they think fennel may increase milk supply and is safe for both mother and child. It of course could not hurt to call a lactation consultant/doctor of your own, but I was told that it is most definitely fine to drink both fennel and peppermint tea. And I must say, Heather's Tummy Teas, Tummy Fiber, and Eating for IBS book have helped me SO much. I have felt great for weeks now. Not getting much sleep because of our children makes IBS symptoms worse because of the stress, but I have found the above stated supplements to be so helpful!

Hope I helped, but feel free to talk to your own doctor if it will help ease your worries.

Amber

Re:Peppermint is excellent both for IBS and baby.... new
      #230033 - 12/08/05 06:39 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I found that if I drank peppermint tea while nursing, it helped decrease the gas in my children, plus it REALLY helped with my IBS. Drink several strong cups a day. This is definitely one that will NOT hurt the baby at all. If anything, it might even help.
Plus, fennel tea is excellent for gas - in both of you. When my babies were colicky, I drank fennel tea (I hate the stuff so I plugged my nose to get it down), but it was also helpful.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re:My baby is also MUCH less gassy now that I'm drinking the teas... new
      #230048 - 12/08/05 07:34 AM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

both peppermint and fennel have decreased the production of gas in the both of us...and my 8 month old is just now transitioning to solids and he has always been gassy and this normally difficult transition has been calmed greatly by my drinking the tummy teas.

i thought maybe i was imagining the improvement in him, but i'm glad to see others have found the same thing!

too bad i didn't know about drinking fennel tea when he was younger and going through his stage of colick in the evenings...guess i know for the next baby!

Amber

Re:My neighbour had another neat trick for gassy babies.... new
      #230217 - 12/08/05 03:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

She boiled a teaspoon of anise seed (cousin to fennel) in 1/4 cup water and fed them a few drops. She said it helps them fart and they're much happier.

Another friend I knew actually put a drop of peppermint oil in her baby's milk bottle.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review