All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
ok but talking about cleanses
      #229490 - 12/05/05 04:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I watched an infomercial about cleansing on Sunday and I am curious about the whole thing. I know my gut is ultra sensitive and doing anything to upset it is a bad idea. Yet I do believe I am loaded down with unpassed stool and grunge. Everytime I am x-rayed I appear C when I am not. I am going to the doc to talk about it next Wednesday. I am curious if cleansing out that stuff will lead to less bloating like they say. Frankly nothing can be done about bloating. Even when I am stable I bloat often and most of the winter. I wonder if there is some way to cleanse out the gunk without adverse reactions. I don't want a cleanser like Dual Action Cleanse that requires repeated applications! That is so stupid. But I will tell you frankly that besides fennel tea there is nothing to really benefit bloating and Heather's diet really does little for bloating. So I am confused about what I should do and I am anxious to see what my doctor will say next week. (I want to ask her about melatonin usage.)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I asked my Doc.... new
      #229492 - 12/05/05 05:02 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

about Cleansing and he said to do it if I wanted to commit suicide. So, tread lightly!! I thought he was going to cuss me out!!! He did not take very well to it at all. So, I didn't even mention the fact that I was taking slippery elm. He probably would have banned me from ever going to his office again......He was not happy that I asked him about that. He told me to stay off of the internet!! (Trying to find ways to fix my problems without drugs).

LOL!! I think it's pretty hilarous, myself. But, if you don't take well to people yelling at you, tread lightly about talking to doctor's about natural remedies unless you KNOW they are cool with that kind of thing.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!!

I'm anxious to hear what he/she says about it!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: ok but talking about cleanses new
      #229497 - 12/05/05 05:20 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Normally medical doctors don't want to hear anything about natural remedies because they're really not taught that in medical school. The main reason they're not taught that is because pharmacutical companies pay quite a lot for medical schools to teach about their drugs, and not natural medicines.
Please read my reply to a previous discussion about cleanses. http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=229495&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

My doc said that was a huge NO~ whether you are C or D~nt new
      #229509 - 12/05/05 06:40 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

#229512 - 12/05/05 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

My doc has talked about the problems with homeopathy before, but I am not necessarily wanting to talk about natural remedies. I am wanting to discuss what is inside my intestines and how to get it out, why my IBS is so bad in winter and what can really be done for bloating. I would try an actual medical drug if needed. Personally, I scoff at the idea of toxins in the body causing every sort of problem. My skin and hair are great, no headaches, no trouble sleeping, no depression, so those cleanses focusing on those things don't intrigue me too much.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#229534 - 12/06/05 01:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well maybe there are cases where it might be beneficial...you're pretty stable otherwise, aren't you, so it's not like you haven't tried other stuff! IBS is so complex and there are so many things that should be included in the excusion diagnosis but that get missed or haven't been thought of. Talk to your doc.

It's interesting that you look C in an x-ray!

Btw, my bloating is sorted with Heather's diet - completely! So maybe you do have something else going on as well as the IBS?

#229544 - 12/06/05 06:16 AM
Little Minnie

I think D bloating is less severe than C bloating IMHO. But my doc is very curious as to why I am always C in x-rays. She wanted to do an impromptu xray last year to see how I would show up. My GI doc says that if a person has occassional D then they can't have backed up gunk, but I don't know about that. My family have tortuous colons with lots of twists and turns and that might be leading to problems. Hmm I smell a colonoscopy coming on!

--------------------

Re: ok but talking about cleanses new
      #229549 - 12/06/05 06:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Little Minnie,would you mind sharing the name of the cleansing program? Is it a product you buy and do yourself? Or would you go to someone? I'm assuming it's a product since it was being advertised.

I must admit, I have/am thinking of doing this as well. The things I've heard about the outcomes have been pretty positive. And,like you, I am still bloated on this diet. I always show C in exams and x-rays. And I hated Zelnorm.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I'm A actually! new
      #229679 - 12/06/05 12:45 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And I used to be bloated 24 hours a day and often to such an extent I looked at least 6 months pg. It was one of my worst symptoms and that's saying something!

Yep, aren't extra long and twisty colons a medical condition anyway? Sounds like you need to treat/control the issues from that as well as the IBS.

#229785 - 12/06/05 07:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I don't think your doc is right on that one. I've heard of people with Chrohne's that had a lot of D, did a cleanse, and a lot of mucodial plaque (the gunk stuck to your intestinal walls) came out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1826 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2841

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review