All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tomatoes
      #22795 - 10/08/03 09:01 AM
ACT

Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: NJ, USA

My doctor said to avoid tomatoes completely (especially cooked) due to the high acid content but I see a lot of recipies calling for them. What's the truth?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tomatoes new
      #22797 - 10/08/03 09:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Tomatoes can be bad, especially if you have had problems with acid, eg. heartburn. However, many IBS-ers find that they can tolerate some as long as they're with a soluble fibre base.

#22807 - 10/08/03 10:27 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I could be wrong but I think tomatoes have more of a bad effect on the stomach than on the lower GI tract. So heartburn, gastrities, ulcer - these stomach ailments would not tolerate them so well (I had gastritis and yeah, the acid in tomatoes was bad). But that's gone now and I tolerate tomatoes fine in the lower tract, bowels etc. Does that make sense? See what others say.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#22872 - 10/08/03 07:23 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Well I personally have no problems with tomatoes and I eat about 5 or 6 slices of them on a Subway sandwich. I think it just varies from person to person. You could try it on a day or weekn maybe when you dont have anywhere to go in case you do get sick. hope this helps!!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#22875 - 10/08/03 07:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Yes, tomatoes are very acidic and should be eaten with care. In Heather's EAting For IBS, she says that the high acid content makes them a trigger, but they are full of champion things like antioxidants, vitamins, etc. so they shouldn't be eliminated from your diet entirely unless you can't tolerate them at all.
My best advice is this (I'm sensitive to tomatoes) - make sure they're always cooked. I can tolerate tomato paste the best - look for recipes with that. When recipes call for canned tomatoes, I use the crushed version. When making spaghetti sauce from scratch, my Dad and I puree them before throwing them into the pot.
Start with small quantities and see how it goes.
Spaghetti is a great place to start because it goes with some nice pasta which is a huge stabilizing soluble fiber - and will help you digest the tomato sauce.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#22918 - 10/09/03 07:43 AM
ACT

Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: NJ, USA

Thanks for the imput on tomatoes. I'm still learning and the advice here is a great help! Thanks!

#22931 - 10/09/03 10:22 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I do fine with tomatoes, but I never eat them fresh. I have GERD and without meds. I could never eat them. Tomatoes do not bother my IBS, so it is an individual thing. My rule of thumb is when my tummy is bothering me avoid all forms of tomatoes.
Hope this helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4748 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 921

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review