All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather help - ibs diet - or anyone - many conflicting medical problems
      #225000 - 11/15/05 04:01 AM
dchris

Reged: 11/11/05

hi anyone,
i was hoping someone would know of a dietition/nutritionist in the southbay (torrance, ca) area so someone could help me. i don't really cook (eat out a lot), don't have a clue how to organize a simple menu i could use or how to shop for that matter and just overwhelmed. i have many medical problems and a lot of them contradict each other. i am extremely frustrated because of the following: i have GERD, of course ibs-d & gas, i am lactose intolerant, i have fibromyalgia (just an example: a lot of foods not only affect the ibs, but they cause pain because of the fibromyalgia), i have had a partial colonectomy, can't eat any citrus or vinegar types of ingredients, diverticulosis, and if i eat too much carbs i end up with a ph imbalance (causing yeast infections), menopausal, high cholestral, asthma. i am not healthy because of my eating habits and everything else. i don't even know how to start. i have the book and have read (highlighted, underlined, etc) it three times and duh i just don't know where or how to begin with simple stuff --- is there a formula like: breakfast: this and this, Lunch: bread, protein, veg, etc., Dinners, snacks, when --- maybe this indicates how many diets i've tried and all the confusion. help!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather help - ibs diet - or anyone - many conflicting medical problems new
      #225004 - 11/15/05 05:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, well start with the list of soluble fibre foods and see what's on there that you can eat. Those foods will then become the basis of your diet.

Protein wise, it'll be white chicken & turkey meat, fish and seafood, plus vegetarian alternatives.

The lactose intolerance is not a problem b/c all dairy is an IBS trigger - just cut that out completely. Citrus fruits and vinegars are also GERDs trigger, as are tomatoes and spicy foods, so cut those out. The cholestrol issues will be helped by this diet as it is low fat and red meats are not allowed. I'm guessing you don't eat the nightshade veg b/c of Fibro - is that right? And what else? I have Fibro too and am just going on a diet for hypoglycaemia to help all that - maybe we can help each other work this out?

And re-read the sections of the book on how to eat IF.

Basically, those SF foods I mentioned first will the basis of your diet and should be eaten first at every meal. Then you can have safe protein and IF veggies with the IF minimised to make it safer.

HTH!

#225270 - 11/15/05 05:24 PM
dchris

Reged: 11/11/05

Linz,
thank you so much for responding so quickly. i was at work wondering if anyone would answer. i appreciate the fact that you just put it on the table--quick and to the point. i will try it for a few days and see how it goes. i will also re-read how to eat IF. i hope all goes well with you w/the hypoglycemia and fibro. it takes a little while to identify when fibro is acting up. sometimes i get a feeling of sadness and dull aching and initially think i am just having a bad day, then i take ultram and realize it was just the fibro--when the aching goes away. i try to take the very minimum of ultram and i seem to do okay. i forgot to tell you that i am also overweight and part of it is because i need to get on a regular exercise routine and not over exert myself which will activate the fibro. because of the diet part, i felt very frustrated and now i feel really encouraged!

Re: Linz..... new
      #225337 - 11/16/05 05:02 AM
Linz

I've had miraines since about age 9...starting having joint pains and inexplicable periods of impossible fatigue at about 12...developed IBS age 21...and developed full-blown Fibro age 22.

To have Fibro, most docs will expect you to have had pain in all four quandrants of the body for at least 3 months and to have 11 out of the 18 standard tender point. The pain and then the fatigue are the main symptoms.

I don't really follow a diet for the Fibro, tho I know that many IBS triggers are also fibro triggers, eg. coffee, caffeine, alcohol, dairy... I am now trying to follow a low glycaemic index diet to avoid the symptoms of sugar intolerance that have been making my Fibro symptoms so much worse. Some people say that the nightshade family of foods (peppers and such I think) are a trigger but I've never noticed this with me.

HTH! Feel free to email me if you want. Or post on the Living Room for Fibro questions - there are a few of us on here with it.

Glad I could help! new
      #225338 - 11/16/05 05:03 AM
Linz

I too have had loads of issues with gaining weiht. I'm hoping that following the diet for the hypoglycaemia will help with that...I've been having such bad cravings it's incredible.

Bad cravings, I can relate! ! ! new
      #225364 - 11/16/05 07:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Of course you have bad cravings ! !

I am back on sugar now cuz it is one of the only things I can eat (having IBS, fibro, interstitial cystitis, and who knows what else! ). I do however need to go off it. I haven't even begun to tho! It's sooo difficult (and every time we begin again it is just as difficult if not more so than the 1st time!)

You may even find yourself moody and feeling sick, Linz. But keep at it! In about 2 weeks of no sugar you will feel AWESOME *hugs* You can/will/are doing it !!! I'm so proud of you

If you want any support or anything at all, I'm here for ya cuz I've been there and need to go there again soon...

Sending you lots of love and support

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#225365 - 11/16/05 07:15 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wow, Linz gave you super advice

You're not alone in trying sooo many diets for so many med probs!

I have IBS, fibro, migraines, interstitial cystitis (likely vulvodynia and pelvic floor syndrome too), bipolar/anxiety/ocd, and allergies of course

This diet should help! Sweet potatoes, I find, are a good SF buffer. Can you handle white bread/rice/potatoes? If not, let me know, and I can make some other recommendations for ya

You're gonna be GREAT

Give a shout if you need anything

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thanks Linz... new
      #225417 - 11/16/05 12:03 PM
Linz

The joint pains in my knees came on suddenly, but intermittently and then became increasingly frequent. I got more aches and pains during attacks after I developed IBS and the whole problem became more widespread and day-to-day after that.

You should get checked out....alot of other things need to be ruled out before you can get diagnosed with Fibro.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review