All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Abruptly changing SFS
      #224130 - 11/10/05 12:09 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Has anyone changed their SFS overnight without weaning themeselves onto the new one?

I have been taking 10.5 grams of Acacia for the past 2 months and I'm out now. So, I got some Benefiber to replace it.

I'm scared about how my body is going to react at such a high dose change. I don't want to cut back as it took me so long to work up to this.

Has anyone successfully switched SFS overnight at such a high dose? I'm trying to avoid paying for shipping of Acacia since I am so broke. And even if I did decide to order it this weekend, it wouldn't get to me until next Thursday or Friday.

What do I do? Are Acacia and Benefiber similar? Or might the Benefiber cause problems? I don't know what to do.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Abruptly changing SFS new
      #224140 - 11/10/05 12:44 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I know Benefiber is supposed to be similar, and I checked into it because of price too. Here's the deal - by the time you take as much Benefiber as you can get in the max dose of Acacia, you will spend more on the Benefiber than the Acacia. You can swap, but if money is an issue, I'd re-order the Acacia.

And please don't try the Benefiber chewables! I ran out of Acacia on a trip and tried the darn things and was MISERABLE!!! Lots of pain and cramping! Don't do that to yourself!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Abruptly changing SFS new
      #224173 - 11/10/05 05:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Benefiber is guargum. It's in a lot of GF breads/baked goods.
It's also a commonly used stabilizing agent, not only in baked goods, but sauces/ice creams/yogurts/salad dressings/sorbets.
It's also serves the same purpose in cosmetic items.

I don't have a problem with guargum and use Benefiber powder. I haven't used Acacia, so I cannot compare. I don't have the reaction to Benefiber/guargum that I experience with carrageenan--if that's a helpful comparison.

Basically, like Acacia, it's a "gum." Hope this is helpful.

Kate, IBS-D.

Benefiber Chewables contain Artificial Sweetener new
      #224301 - 11/11/05 11:01 AM
Augie

So I wouldn't take that one. But you really think the powder would be an okay substitute for the Acacia?

Thanks. I'm just afraid my body is going to rebel.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Benefiber Chewables contain Artificial Sweetener new
      #224311 - 11/11/05 11:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Beth

Overall it seems most people are more ok with benefiber than metamucill or the other fibers out there. If you have to switch cause you're in a pinch...I would go for the benefiber. And if it DOES upset you (which I HOPE it won't) you can always go back to Acacia later...

I would say tho to do something rather than nothing...your bod needs that fiber! Esp since it is used to gettting it...

Just my opinion tho...

*hugs* Whatever you decide it will be best for you!!

Love ya! Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks Ruchie! new
      #224312 - 11/11/05 11:39 AM
Augie

I am totally out of Acacia now, so looks like I'm gonna go with the benefiber. Hope I do okay with it!

How do you remain "stable" and regular without taking an SFS? Have you ever tried one?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Ruchie! new
      #224329 - 11/11/05 12:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

In the early days I was a benefiber chic. Prob was that it made me a bit gassy/bloated.

I never found one that worked without some side effect for me. (I'm rare in this).

Nothing I repeat NOTHING I eat/do relieves me completely of my symptoms. BUT they get BETTER...

So I live with "better" knowing I will never be symptom free.

I have so many things going on with my body. It will likely never be "great".

And that's okay. It is after all the way I was made

I don't know what else to say?? I am thankful for the days I don't notice my bloating and gas and pain as much. Those for me are GREAT days

P.S. I am not the usual IBS case. I have IC, (likely pelvic floor syndrome and vulvodynia as we well), fibro, migraines, bipolar, anxiety, OCD, abuse history, sinus/allergy issues......
IC also gives a person bloating probs. This could be why it won't budge no matter what I do. If my IC or PFS flare...the bloating is there independent of the IC. See, not a "typical" gal

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Did you ever try the Acacia? new
      #224340 - 11/11/05 12:19 PM
Augie

You have a good attitude about this. I need to accept this as part of my life as well....make some peace with it all. As you know, I'm not a typical IBSer either with my nonfunctioning Gallbladder, delayed gastric emptying, gluten antibodies, high anxiety, a long term eating disorder that may have done some permanent damage.

what do you do to at least get to "better"?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Benefiber Chewables contain Artificial Sweetener new
      #224346 - 11/11/05 12:35 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Seems a lot of folks handle the powder fine. I hope this works for you!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

How I cope... new
      #224361 - 11/11/05 01:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Well, the 1st thing I did was get so sick with fibro and migraines and live in constant pain that the IBS didn't matter anymore I was in so much pain with everything else that the IBS felt like a minor cut instead of, say, a broken bone!

Now they all take tunrs btw Sometimes deciding to come on all at once. The days that are ilent are truly TANGARINE-GREEN

The other thing I do? Look to folks that are worse off than I am. There are LOTS.

I go to therapy. I take meds. I do the best I can.

I take time out to take care of ME! I make sure I get enough water and sleep--those are my biggest triggers--oh, and I don't eat too much at one time! I eat safe foods. I stop worrying about it. I was at my worst when I worried about every bite I was putting in my mouth.

I do yoga when I'm hurting. It is the best to move trapped gas. In fact it works better than GasX for that-for me at least!

I wash dishes and move around after a meal.

Basically...everything Heather says to.

I listen to my body. It really DOES talk to us. We just have to relax and calm down enough to listen. Sounds silly I know LOL but it's the truth! I know now when to stop eating cause I've had enough. I know if my body needs something it isn't getting Ex. I was feeling really nauseous this am. Couldn't figure out why. Dizzy too. Instinctively I ate some pita with cheese (I know, I know...it's not IBS safe...but I have to eat somehing. Yes, I'm gassy now...and bloated...BUT I have to eat or I get a lot worse than just gassy and bloated...). I figured out why I've been eating cheese...SODIUM! It has SODIUM! The tegretol I take makes my sodium levels low. I can't have powerade (corn syrup AND citric acid...double whammy!) and propel isn't Kosher...yadda yadda...point is when I listen it guides me

Another thing I do with IBS as well as IC is: I take chances. I eat a few bites. I have gotten to a point where I can tell within several bites of eating if something I ate upset my IBS OR my IC as well! And I say "Ok, Ruchily, no more of that for a while". Then I try again in a few weeks...

Sometimes, a food I take out of my diet for a year is eatable again. Like gluten. (But this is an intolerance NOT an IBS thing...just to keep that in mind).

Am I helping?

I listen. I follow what I hear. I look around me and see people suffering more than me. I make peace, let go, and accept.

I cry. I get angry. I talk to G-d and say "WHY"!!!

Then I remember everyone in this world suffers. EVERYONE! There is a saying "If everyone put their troubles in the middle of the room and grabbed someone else's trouble...they would put the other person's trouble back and recliam their own." WHY? It was tailormade for me. My troubles were that is. I cannot handle your trouble Beth. It isn't my job. But I can learn how to handle mine with acceptance, love, and peace.....and it is my life's goal...

Thank G-d I am live, I have my husband, I have the boards, I was not abused this morning, etc. Make gratitude lists!

It's NOT easy. I will work on this the rest of my life. Some are good days and others not so good days and others lousy days. I want so desperately to be ok. To be able to go to the store without a fight. To be able to function without meds. To be a mom. To be a better wife, etc. But if I focus on what I can't do I will not be able to add to the list of "can-do's" as easily/readily.

Make sense?

Love you...you're doing GREAT!!! *hugs*

One more thing that is REALLY helping me: Check out flylady.net It's about cleaning on the surface...but it's about FLYing down deep (FLY...finally loving yourself) Shining my sink every day is something I CAN DO and it makes me smile *big hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review