All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Please help -- Daughter was just diagnosed with IBS!!!
      #223389 - 11/06/05 10:28 AM
MomofIBS

Reged: 11/06/05

My 11-year-old daughter was just diagnosed last week with IBS...realize diagnoses could have been worse!! However, I need some suggestions on what I can feed her which will not cause her to lose weight...already very small. What spices can she have? Can she not have any sugar? What about tomato sauce...if it's homemade...but again, what about spices? The doctor provided us with diet guidelines, but now I am realizing should have asked more questions!! Any help any of you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help -- Daughter was just diagnosed with IBS!!! new
      #223393 - 11/06/05 11:28 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

you should read through the guidelines on this website - they lay everything out. if you want more in depth, look at buying heather's books.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#223397 - 11/06/05 12:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Heather's book will offer tons of insight, suggestions, guidelines, etc. I highly recommend purchasing it and reading it with your daughter.

There are tons of recipes, too! Is your daughter on a SFS (soluble fiber supplement)? That is often quite helpful in managing IBS.

Welcome to the boards. I hope you find a support system as well as tons of ideas, etc.

Kate, IBS-D.

1rst Step - Deep Breath! new
      #223402 - 11/06/05 12:25 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Okay, I think the first step you might want to take is a deep breath! A new diagnosis of anything can be really overwhelming, and there will be a lot of information coming your way. But fear not, people here are really friendly and helpful and you are doing the right thing by finding out as much as you can to help your daughter. She is very lucky to have you as a mom!

I would echo what everyone else said as well, have a long look around the site when you get a chance. Before I got a chance to get the books (which is a really good idea, by the way. They are really informative on what IBS is, AND there are loads of healthy, IBS-safe recipes that will get on a good track), I relied on the website for information. Take a long look around the other pages, then take a look around the IBS Recipe board and the index. There are loads of recipes available. You can use the "search" function to search for something specific, or go the index and it's all organized there for you.

Just to address a couple of your questions right away, herbs are great for IBS. The books outline a lot of them, and I think they might be on the website as well. Oregano, for exmaple, is great! Spicy things can be irritating, so go easy.. especially on a child.

Sugar isn't a problem for most people. A lot of the recipes, you'll notice if you look at the breads and cakes and stuff, have quite a lot of sugar. This is also good to keep your daughter from losing too much weight.
If you are worried about weight loss, do a board search on this board (Eating for IBS) about "weight loss" and see what others have said. Things like potatoes and sweet potatoes are great for keeping weight up.

Hope this helps, at least to get you started!
So go ahead and have a look around, pick up the books if you can and then feel free to ask us any questions you might have along the way!

Good luck, and in the meantime, have you daughter eat off the "What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything" if she is really suffering at the moment. I hope she feels better soon, you're doing a great job!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Jamie, how's you're reflux?? Did you find something that works? -nt- new
      #223411 - 11/06/05 02:08 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#223428 - 11/06/05 04:46 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

Try out Heather's diet recommendations. Often, doctors don't really "get it" and just say "more fiber"....etc. Truthfully, everyone's IBS triggers are different. Things that one person can tolerate would send another person into a huge attack. Even things that I can eat at times will send me running for the bathroom at other times! The only thing I would suggest is to get your daughter relatively stabilized first and then add new food items slowly to see what she can and cannot tolerate. Help her to be able to recognize the symptoms of the beginnings of her type of attacks so that she can begin to control her IBS on her own. That's really important...that she is helped to be aware of what's going on in her own body and how she reacts to particular foods. It will go a long way in helping her be in better control of her life. Good luck!

#223430 - 11/06/05 04:50 PM
jaime g

better, thanks. the pepto really helps. i'm still taking pepcid even though i don't see real results from it, and also trying to watch what i'm eating. this morning i was nauseous, like carsick - figured the anti-nausea effect of ginger outweighed the acid problems, and i eventually felt better. i just hope the burning starts to go away - i'm worried it might be something more serious, and really don't want to have to figure out how to afford going to a doctor. (the burning also feels better when i press on my stomach - any idea what that means?)

thanks for asking, and thanks for mentioning the pepto. it's working wonders. i just hope it isn't masking serious symptoms.

--------------------
jaime

Yo jaime! re: burning new
      #223431 - 11/06/05 04:56 PM
Wind

I'm doing pepto. today, too. I've got that burning...the fire's out! I started taking my Nexium, again, too. It really helps. Check it out.

Do you ever get that "Traveller's Sickness" feeling? I live with it all the time.

Kate, IBS-D.

#223432 - 11/06/05 04:56 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Welcome to the board,hopefully you will find lots of advice from the experts. I for one can not tolerate tomato sauce or anything with tomatoes in it. That are acidic as is orange juice,but they do have a new low acid orange juice that I mix with half water. I also use digestive enzymes before every meal and most days they are the answer to my prayer (www.completeix.com). Finding out what causes her symptoms is going to be a trial and error period. Some major things that may cause her problems are caffeine, fried food, fast food, red meat and dairy. Heather has done a wonderful job of setting up a trigger list that is posted on this website. I wish your daughter the best of luck and hopefully she will find a way to be symptom free!

#223449 - 11/06/05 06:00 PM
anlikerm

I'm glad the pepto is helping you. I know the pepto is masking serious symptoms in me....I'm having reflux really bad. Thank goodness I'm having my scopes done on Tuesday. I need to know what's going on with my stomach more than my colon. I need to be able to eat again. I don't know why your burning is going away when you press on your stomach. Mine just continues to burn when I press on it, unless I take an antacid. Then the burning will stop. I hope you're not getting what I am getting. Something else to think about, too, is the Fiber Choice. You just went on that not too long ago??? I did too and the orange flavored ones really stirred up my acid reflux, BAAAAAD!!!!!!! Something to think about...or are you on the berry chewables?? I can't remember which ones you said you were on.
I hope you feel better soon! Keep taking the Pepto....it won't hurt'cha. I don't think....:)
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Hey Kate! I was! I also have a Rx.... new
      #223451 - 11/06/05 06:03 PM
anlikerm

for Nexium but I haven't filled it yet. I have tried Prevacid, Prilosec and Protonix and I got soo nauseated that I couldn't even look at food. I stopped taking the PPI and started taking Pepcid AC (Maximum Strength) and I can eat now, at least without getting nauseated, but I cannot keep the acid down. It feels like the food is stuck in my chest and wants to come back up instead of digest.....But, I don't have nausea......very strange, huh??? Should I try the Nexium??? Did you get side effects from it???
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#223452 - 11/06/05 06:04 PM
jaime g

i'm on the fruit chewables - when i take them in the morning (on an empty stomach) i do get the burning, but i also seem to get it when i introduce other things to an empty stomach, and i'd been on them for a few weeks already when it started. so i don't think it's that. the two things that coincided with the burning were having my period, which always messes up my ibs but never like this before, and taking fennel caps, which shouldn't have any adverse effects, but i'm stopping them for a couple of days to see if that helps. but yeah, pressing *really* helps. who knows.

--------------------
jaime

#223453 - 11/06/05 06:06 PM
anlikerm

Oh, okay. It was just a thought.......Well keep on press'in, if it helps! It might have just been those fennel caps. Never know!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#223454 - 11/06/05 06:07 PM
anlikerm

That's funny, when I press on my stomach, I feel like I'm going to throw up. I won't be doing that again! hehehehe
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Hey Kate! I was! I also have a Rx.... new
      #223461 - 11/06/05 07:22 PM
Wind

It's the only thing that works for my acid/reflux. Truly.

Side effects? Occaisonal D...getting fuller faster than before...more headaches...occaisonal gassy/bloatedness (but I find that this is nothing compared to the other things I've tried via prescription!. It's the most potent one I've ever used and I suspect I'll probably be taking this for life, or until they improve it.

Give it a shot. It's a lifesaver. The only complaint I have is the more frequent D. So...I just take Immodium and make sure I get lots of SF.

Hope that's helpful,
Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Thanks, Kate! -nt- new
      #223476 - 11/07/05 06:11 AM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2855

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review