All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
wellbutrin for anxiety?
      #220321 - 10/19/05 02:47 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

Hi - I did a search looking for posts on wellbutrin use for anxiety and IBS. I found a little bit of information, but I was curious if anyone has experience with wellbutrin and anxiety. I am currently on lexapro but that has awful sexual side effects and I have been clenching my jaw at night, and I wake up early in the morning (no effects on IBS)...I have been told that wellbutrin makes people more anxious - it is hard becuase everyone reacts so differently...I have a prescription...any experiences??

Thanks! Danielle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: wellbutrin for anxiety? new
      #220326 - 10/19/05 03:17 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

I have been taking Wellbutrin for close to 6 months now. The good things about it are: no loss of sex drive, no unwanted side effects (except the initial side effects, but those go away), I have lost a little over 10lbs (weight loss is a common side effect). The not-so-good things are: It doesn't work. haha. Granted, thats just MY experience. For about two weeks I felt ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I had tons of energy, I was going to the bathroom twice a day and eating WHATEVER I wanted, I thought I had my life back .. but that went away as quickly as it came. I have heard many people give good reviews about the medication, so I think its worth a try. I hope you have better luck than I did!

#220331 - 10/19/05 03:35 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

IBS-C and bloating can be caused by anxiety? I never completely believed that, but considered it since I have a case of anxiety myself. How can anxiety have such control over your internal involuntary digestive system? Now I'm thinking about getting anxiety medication.

#220337 - 10/19/05 04:02 PM
crew

Honestly, I don't think the anxiety causes bloating, but I do think there is a correlation between the two. It has to do with seratonin and stuff like that. But, for some, anti anxiety medications work to relieve constipation b/c its almost like its helping the tum-tum to relax also. Your gut and your brain are partners .. so taking an anti-anxiety med tells your brain "hey man, everythings cool", which in turn, tells your gut. ... Theoretically anyway

#220341 - 10/19/05 04:11 PM
Alli

Ooh, that makes sense. I wonder if it ever worked completely for anyone. I guess their bloating symptoms would have to be more milder. Then mine, anyway. I feel like I should try, but it seems like too much effort to go and get the prescription and everything.

#220351 - 10/19/05 04:49 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I took Wellbutrin for 3 days and was soo dizzy and nauseous that I couldn't hardly stand....so, I came off of it. Just to let you know in case you try it.
Good Luck!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: hmm new
      #220352 - 10/19/05 04:54 PM
Alli

I don't think I'll try it. I did a google search.
"(WellbutrinŽ), does not seem to work for anxiety. These medications are started at a low dose and gradually increased until they reach an effective level."

#220383 - 10/19/05 06:49 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I've taken Wellbutrin for about 8 years. I also take Zoloft. I'm not familiar with the wellbutrin being used for anxiety. It's more for depression, etc. Some use it for stopping smoking. I gives me energy. The Zoloft works better for the anxiety for me. Paxil is also good for anxiety. (taken that one, too, but had too many side effects for me) So...I take both Wellbutrin and Zoloft. It seems that the SSRIs are more effective with anxiety induced problems, but then again, I'm not a dr.!

Re: hmm new
      #220534 - 10/20/05 01:53 PM
crew

Yeah .. its not really made to help with anxiety. Its actually used to help people quit smoking also. Just a little something to throw in your back pocket.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 704 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1183

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review