All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
silly but important poll
      #217344 - 10/04/05 10:01 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you read or do some other relaxing thing in the bathroom? I never used to read years ago but now I find it necessary to really relax and go. For chronic C'ers make sure to do this if you are not presently. Also bring reading material with you for traveling and going places.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heh... new
      #217352 - 10/04/05 10:09 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

All catalogs that enter the house automatically get divided between our 3 bathrooms. Other than that, I keep a Martha Stewart Living and a This Old House in mine, and sometimes the latest InStyle. Magazines are my favorite bathroom reading by far.

And yep, I always bring reading material when I travel anyway, but I've found when staying with friends and family that 99% of the time they have their own toilet reading in the bathroom, and it's usually more interesting than mine. LOL!

Re: silly but important poll new
      #217361 - 10/04/05 10:17 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yep! I subscribe to a couple of free work-related magazines at my job just for that reason.

--AC

#217362 - 10/04/05 10:19 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, good idea! I read magazines or catalogs in the bathroom--it keeps my mind off the pain.

I think something like 70% of North Americans read in the bathroom.

Chicken Soup for the Soul...Southern Living...People Magazine....~nt~ new
      #217363 - 10/04/05 10:24 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#217426 - 10/04/05 02:32 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have brought reading materials in the bathroom with me and I am usually not in there long enough to read them or I can't concentrate on reading them because I am in pain. It would be a good relaxation tip though for when I am C. I'll have to try it sometime.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#217428 - 10/04/05 02:36 PM
Bernie

Reged: 08/27/05

I never read in the bathroom until recently. Being IBS-A when I have the switch from C-D and all the pain and cramps, I have found that reading helps me relax. and at the very least helps the time pass quicker. LOL

#217437 - 10/04/05 03:26 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

yep... I read my mail in the bathroom... magazines, cat, I even have a book of "word finds" to take my mind off of what I'm doing....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#217438 - 10/04/05 03:45 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Well, if I can tell that I'm going to be in there awhile, I'll bring a magazines sometimes. If I'm in there longer than I thought I'd be, I'll read the back of the toothpaste tube or shampoo or hairspray bottle.

DH doesn't have IBS, but I know he'll read comic books in there.

Shoot...some people go to the potty to hide from folks! Might as well read! ~nt~ new
      #217448 - 10/04/05 04:46 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

That's where I read my morning paper new
      #217453 - 10/04/05 06:01 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Heck, with morning D, and a bathroom in view of my tv, I just leave the door open and watch morning shows sometimes too (I live alone.) I watched one of the twin towers fall while sitting on the pot with ibs.

#217459 - 10/04/05 06:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Lately, hand reflexology. Seems to calm/soothe. I'm in a kind of meditational/yoga mood of late...can I add chanting/candles? Yup...I've been known to hum/sing while sitting on the throne. Soothes my 'wounded'/'insulted' root chakra. For reading material--I'm kind of bizarre, I like to crap in the dark (light just seems kind of obscene)--I go for comics.

Those are my latest potty distractions.

Sinful confession: smoking a fake cigarette and well, chewing gum (yes,yes, yes...I know!!!). Talk about 'breathing' some prana into that colon/g.i. tract. Chewing gum on the toilet.

Funny aside: My grandmother got me toilet trained very very early by giving me candy to sit on the toilet.
Kate, IBS-D.

this somehow reminded me... new
      #217475 - 10/04/05 07:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If I think I'm going to be in there a while, I take a drink. Some people think this is gross (Adam, thankfully, isn't one of them!), but sipping water or tea really helped when I was having a lot of nausea along with attacks.

And actually, probably the most important bathroom distraction is my cats. LOL!! I literally cannot go in the bathroom, for any amount of time, without Phoebe following me in, sitting between my feet, and meowing at me. I still don't know why she does this, but it really is just funny enough to make being stuck in the bathroom a little more bearable.

My kitty does the same thing! new
      #217489 - 10/04/05 10:17 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

It's like they're just coming in to see if you're ok. My big kitty Ali occasionally stands up with his paws on my knees. Why, I don't know. You're right though, it is a nice distraction.

Ha! Gracie does something similar... new
      #217506 - 10/05/05 05:03 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

She doesn't like to be alone, and the latch on our doors suck, so she'll push the bathroom door open and wander around the bathroom, purring and rubbing up against everything, including my legs. Silly kitties

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

oh my gosh new
      #217510 - 10/05/05 05:55 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I can't lock my cat out either. She will stick her paws under the door. But once in she is way more...well she has to sit on me like a baby. And I talk to her and smother her and she loves it. DH thinks it is pretty funny how she is held while I am in the bathroom! But it is so soothing I didn't know what I would do without her when on vacation.
If she doesn't want to be held she likes to jump up and shut the light off!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2102

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review