All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
not lactose intolerance, but dairy?
      #216242 - 09/28/05 03:44 AM
lorilea

Reged: 09/24/05
Loc: monroe, mi

We took my son to ER last night with terrible pain and diarrhea (more pain than we thought possible). They gave him morphine, and he felt much better. Checked appendix (it was okay). They gave fluids and we went home.

He was tested 2 months ago and found NOT lactose intolerant, but fructose intolerant. He's been on a fructose-free diet. Before the pain attack, he had a bagel with cream cheese, and some milk earlier. He's had both of these in the past weeks and been okay.

Could this cause this terrible pain even though he's not lactose intolerant?? Do others have this terrible of pain, suddenly? Is it caused by eating trigger food?? I know lots of people say dairy is a trigger, but SO much pain! If so, do you take something for pain?

I appreciate any insight! We DON'T want that pain again!

-Laurie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dairy is a HUGE no-no new
      #216245 - 09/28/05 04:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I really suggest reading the diet information here on the site, especially the section on trigger foods. http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/ Dairy is bad for more reasons than just the lactose - in the case of the cream cheese, the fat was probably the culprit, but even fat-free dairy is problematic because humans aren't meant to digest cow's milk proteins.

How do you test for fructose intolerance? new
      #216249 - 09/28/05 06:21 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I've called every hospital in my area and none do the fructose intolerance test. How do they do it, and where did you have it done?

I am very curious to find out if I too, have a fructose intolerance. This test, if more widely available, could help a lot of people since fructose intolerance is so prevalent amongst IBS patience.

Re: not lactose intolerance, but dairy? new
      #216281 - 09/28/05 08:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I hope your son feels better today--poor thing! Yes, these triggers can cause that much pain. I have been to the ER with pain so bad I could barely walk or breathe and such an attack can last for a few days. Unfortunately, I don't have anything for the pain other than heat pads and peppermint tea; I have been given anti-spasmodics before but they didn't help much. I'm not sure what is available for children. Have you read Heather's The First Year: IBS? There's quite a lot of information in there about children with IBS.

For me, dairy is the worst trigger--and it's not just the lactose but the proteins in milk that make it difficult to digest. Plus, most dairy products are also high in fat--so you get two triggers in one! Avoiding dairy and the other triggers listed on the main site will help you and your son manage his IBS and the pain. Here are some useful links and posts about triggers and how they cause attacks and Heather's very accurate description of how IBS pain feels:

Dairy

Trigger Foods

Seven Sneaky Deadly Sins of the IBS Diet

Heather's story - starting as a child with IBS

HTH! Take care.

Re: not lactose intolerance, but dairy? new
      #216296 - 09/28/05 09:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

dairy causes me so much pain I tell people I am allergic.. even lactose free dairy! I broke out in hives from it once but I haven't ever had an allergy test come out positive, instead they call it an intollerance. but it definitely triggers IBS symptoms as well.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: not lactose intolerance, but dairy? and fructose new
      #216320 - 09/28/05 10:13 AM
lorilea

Reged: 09/24/05
Loc: monroe, mi

Maria, Amie, Cyndy, and Casey - thanks for your replies. It is so helpful to learn about others.

I do have Heather's Eating for IBS book, but not the first year. I might have to get that one.

Also concerning Fructose Intolerance - We tested at Cleveland Clinic. But the place that pioneered the test is at Univ. of Iowa and they have a great website about it http://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/index.htm . The fructose free diet helped my son, but wasn't the whole answer as he had his terrible attack yesterday. We are leaving off the dairy for this week to try and help.

It's really confusing to know what to eat, because we can't totally follow Heather's diet while on the fructose-free one.

HOPEFULLY leaving off dairy will be the answer.

Cyndy, let me know if you have any other questions about the fructose intolerance.

-Laurie

Re: not lactose intolerance, but dairy? and fructose new
      #216500 - 09/29/05 09:24 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

To do an exclsuion diet test, you need to cut it out COMPLETELY for alot longer than a week - say 4 weeks. And then re-introduce it to make sure any changes weren't coincidence.

Why can't you follow Heather's diet with the fructose-free one? It's about how to eat and what not to eat (inc. dairy) more than about what you have to eat.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3899 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 748

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review