All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Curious...what are your main triggers for predominately IBS-D? (m)
      #215820 - 09/26/05 04:34 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I'm trying to figure it out myself. I had an attack of D last night and hadn't had one in awhile, not since I had a mean ol virus that had nothing to do with my IBS. Just wondering what you'd consider your worst triggers?

Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Curious...what are your main triggers for predominately IBS-D? (m) new
      #215824 - 09/26/05 05:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm an A, but I've always been D-predominant.

My worst trigger by far is anxiety. Addressing that problem has helped me IMMEASURABLY.

My worst food triggers are fats, dairy, and coffee.

The one trigger I have that I have no control over is hormones. I usually have IBS problems of some kind or another right around my period, no matter how "safe" I am otherwise.

Hi Casey, can I ask you (m) new
      #215833 - 09/26/05 06:41 AM
Sandyg

if you take anything for the anxiety or have you gotten it under control with other natural measures? I'm positive that's my biggest too. And it doesn't have to be a big thing either....just getting out of the house on time, going to work, dealing with my kids etc. Just wondering what you did.

Sandy

Hi Sandy! new
      #215843 - 09/26/05 07:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I did try some natural methods first with a therapist, but I ended up needing medication. I'm on Lexapro, and it's been a godsend. It hasn't been a total cure for my IBS - I still have to watch my diet, and even then, I do still get occasional random "bad days" - but the improvements in my health have been... just AMAZING.

Consulting with a therapist wouldn't be a bad idea - your anxiety might respond well to natural measures, since everyone's different. Oh, and do try the hypno program, if you haven't already - I've heard so many fantastic things about it!

#215846 - 09/26/05 07:46 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

similar to casey here - dairy (i was lactose intolerant for years before ibs) and fats are my two big ones, and when i have my period i'm always worse. anxiety's been a problem for me, too, but mostly in that once i start to even think an attack is coming, if i'm not at home, the anxiety about the possibility of getting sick makes things much worse. since my anxiety is very tied to my ibs symptoms, getting my ibs under control and knowing how to eat as safely as possible has really helped.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#215851 - 09/26/05 07:52 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

fat, dairy...

heat & stress.

what does the '(m)' mean up there? -nt- new
      #215852 - 09/26/05 08:00 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Thanks Casey....did you see your GI doctor... new
      #215853 - 09/26/05 08:25 AM
Sandyg

for a prescription for Lexapro or another doctor? Is it a low dose and do you have side effects? I'm considering asking my doctor about some kind just to help with the day to day stuff. I'm mostly D but occasionally an A.

I have heard great things about the hypo thing and will pursue something like that also.
Thanks again,
Sandy

The "m" just means more text...nt new
      #215854 - 09/26/05 08:26 AM
Sandyg

#215892 - 09/26/05 10:12 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Breathing.

Haha. Seriously ... since I've never gotten stable, the only trigger I have been able to absolutely positively confirm is herbal tea. It took awhile for it to sink through my dense brain, especially since everyone's #1 piece of advice for an attack is to go have a nice hot cup of herbal tea, but I finally figured out that about thirty minutes after a cup of herbal tea I have a D attack. If I was feeling OK up until then and had something safe and starchy first, it doesn't end up being a full-fledged attack, just urgency/cramping/loose stools.

On the bright side, I know what to do if by some miracle I ever feel C!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review