All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
weight loss surgery & IBS
      #214195 - 09/18/05 06:21 PM
Suzy2

Reged: 09/18/05

Hello I just joined this group. I am 50 yrs old and have had IBS for about 25 years. If only this board were around then, I learned what not to eat by hit or miss, a painful process. I am over 100 lbs overweight and am currently waiting to see if my insurance company will approve LAP band surgery, which is a bariatric surgery somewhat like gastric bypass but completely reversible if need be. One of the first things you learn when researching this surgery is that rice, white bread and potatos are not allowed because they say they will expand in your stomach which will be too tiny to take it and will stick in your stoma (the hole between the pouch and the rest of your stomach) Those have been my "buffer"foods for years. Can anyone suggest something else? And by the way why is it that you can have diarrhea for days and not lose a single ounce!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weight loss surgery & IBS new
      #214233 - 09/19/05 04:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can you not lose weight in another way? I'd say you need a nutritionist and a personal trainer, not a surgeon! You'll be letting yourself in for ALOT of IBS troubles if you have sugery IMHO.

Btw, check out Shell's story on the fitness forum.

Re: weight loss surgery & IBS new
      #214283 - 09/19/05 09:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I imagine you've already done this, but ... Please be sure the surgery you're considering is completely reversible with no lasting side-effects. I've had a run of medical procedures and prescriptions that were billed as safe, wonderful, harmless, and benign turning out to have long-term side-effects that were considered very unlikely and were therefore, shall we say, not adequately discussed beforehand. Unfortunately, "very unlikely" does not mean "won't happen". (The Internet is a wonderful place to get information about the absolutely worst possible outcome of almost anything, information you can then discuss with your doctors in a more rational setting.)

Now, as for anwering the question you actually asked, any of the foods on Heather's Soluble Fiber Foods List should serve as "buffer" foods. For me, personally, rice, pasta, white bread, and potatoes "feel" safer than the others on the list, but I think that's more psychological than real. I think and speak of these foods as "cushions", but as I understand it, their real function in terms of IBS is to get the digestive system started gently - IF and fat tend to make IBSers' digestive systems start abruptly and run rough, like a car over-cranked on a cold morning. Given that, any SF food should do the trick, so you can check with your doctors about the other SF foods.

I assume your doctors will have a cow if you want to take an SFS after having your surgery. That would be a real problem for me since taking lots and lots of SFS has been one of the main factors in my becoming stable.

I'm pretty sure there was a post a while back on the Living Room Board from someone who had weight loss surgery. You might try a Search on that Board.

And I agree - it truly is not fair to suffer with diarrhea endlessly and still be overweight.

HTH. Good luck with everything. Oh, and welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Don't Do It! new
      #214292 - 09/19/05 10:25 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Suzy:

I think it would be a very, very poor idea to have this surgery if you have IBS. I think you would be setting yourself up for great misery -- much more misery than you have faced in dealing with your IBS and weight problem over the past 25 years.

I believe medical researchers are currently working on something that will help people who are overweight due to hereditary and genetic factors, etc. From what I've heard there could be a safe and effective medical treatment available within about five years.

Please be patient! Please don't do this surgery!

hang on a second new
      #214297 - 09/19/05 10:40 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i think we need to give a little credit to suzy's doctors. maybe they've taken the ibs into consideration. the ibs should, of course, factor into the decision, but though weight loss surgery is drastic, and usually permanent, it sometimes is the right choice.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Doctors new
      #214323 - 09/19/05 11:43 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sorry, but my experience has been that doctors know very little about IBS and they never seem to know how a particular treatment will affect my IBS.

One always has to use their own common sense when a doctor recommends a treatment. Doctors are not God and they are not always right.

I agree with Belinda here! new
      #214374 - 09/19/05 02:12 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I have to remind ALL my docs about the side effects of stuff on IBS usually. And they generally don't agree with alot of stuff that there is a huge amount of anecdotal evidence to back up.

doctors new
      #214398 - 09/19/05 03:02 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i agree with needing to look out for yourself with regard to dr.s and ibs. i was just saying that for this particular case, suzy posted once about what was going on, and everyone jumped in saying that the surgery was a bad idea. my point is that we don't know what discussions suzy's already had with her doctor. i think we should be helping people hold their own with their doctors, but i don't think that we should be telling anyone, definitively, what major medical procedures they should or should not have.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Good point, Jaime. -nt- new
      #214407 - 09/19/05 03:38 PM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Suzy2, how are you doing? (m) new
      #220256 - 10/19/05 10:15 AM
Sand

You've been on my mind lately? Did you get approval for your surgery?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1258

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review