Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peanut Butter????
      #212513 - 09/11/05 11:17 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

Hello friends,

I have visited this website many times and finally I was able to purchase the book, Eating For IBS. I can truly say that more recently I have been starting to feel better.

I only have one question at this point?? Is peanut butter allowed???? I wish I could find a list of things in the United States that I could eat, the book offers alot of recipes but I have never been a lover of Vietnamese, Cajun, Chinese, or other really ethnic foods. Is that a more down to earth diet that is more american?

Peace and calm to all,
Lummibeader

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peanut Butter???? new
      #212514 - 09/11/05 11:33 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can check out the IBS Recipes Board. You'll find all kinds of "normal" recipes there and there's even a recent thread on peanut butter.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#212568 - 09/12/05 07:35 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I do okay with some reduced fat smooth peanunt butter now and then, but only if I am stable. Crunchy just rips up my gut anymore.

As for recipes, I second the recipe board. You may also find you can alter some of your regular recipes so that they are IBS-friendly.

Also, for things like instant mashed potatoes or Bisquick (reduced fat), use soy milk (or rice milk) in place of cow's milk. It works great and you can't taste the difference.

#212585 - 09/12/05 08:31 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I am also a more plain gal -- and I do love my peanut butter. I just watch how much I use -- and I do use the reduced fat creamy kind. I watch how much fat is in the whole meal too -(and the rest of the day even)- not just the peanut butter. Have it not on an empty tummy... all those kinds of things. Then it comes down to personal tolerances.

I 2nd the recipe board as well. I also do those simple substitutions -- soy milk, soy burgers, egg whites for whole eggs,... that kind of thing.

Not Ideal! new
      #212603 - 09/12/05 09:14 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As a general rule, nuts are difficult for IBS people to tolerate. However, they are safer in a pureed form (like peanut butter) than in a whole form.

Unfortunately, though, I can't tolerate peanut butter or any other kind of nut butter. I get IBS pain from it.

If you do want to try peanut butter, I recommend you go to a health food store that has a machine to grind down and make the peanut butter for you. It is better to eat the peanut butter without any added ingredients such as what is found in Skippy's and other brand peanut butters sold in supermarkets. Often these brands have added fats in them, making them even more difficult to tolerate.

It's high in galactose *DELETED* new
      #212607 - 09/12/05 09:43 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Post deleted by Wind

Re: Not Ideal! new
      #212608 - 09/12/05 09:43 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i'd actually go for reduced fat pb, from the supermarket. i think that'll be lower in fat than natural peanut butter, which is pure peanuts. at least for me, the troubling part of peanut butter is the high fat content. i find that in a low-fat day, in a low-fat meal, i can handle some with a banana, in a sandwich, or on a bagel. just be very sparing.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

what's galactose? new
      #212615 - 09/12/05 09:50 AM
jaime g

from the -ose ending, i'd guess it's another of those pesky sweetners, or maybe related to lactose? but it also sounds like something out of science fiction, so i figured i ought to ask.

--------------------
jaime

Sorry, I made an error. new
      #212797 - 09/12/05 07:10 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

For information on Galactose please see: www/galactosemia.com/generalinfo.html I was incorrect re: peanuts containing galactose. Sorry for posting an error.

This site/page is quite interesting, though and provides some lists re: foods and their galactose content.

Kate.

so it's not lactose, but is related to lactose? new
      #212798 - 09/12/05 07:18 PM
jaime g

still a little confused. it says legumes have galactose, so i know this isn't the same thing as lactose intolerance, but the site didn't seem to explain everything, unless i'm having a spacey night and just can't find it.

--------------------
jaime

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2330

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review