All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Do you ever "cheat" and it's just not good anymore?
      #211557 - 09/07/05 12:26 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Just wondering if it's just me.....

It seems like most of the time when I cave in and have a trigger I've been craving, I take one bite and I'm just not satisfied. It just doesn't taste the same. So, I end up figuring if it ain't any good, I'm not risking an attack over it.

Of course I do have my cave-ins that are better than memory! LOL For example, we had a belated reception/labor day cookout this past weekend, and a friend made us a wedding cake. I've been pigging out like a big fat cow on leftovers of that all week! It's to die for, but no probs with it.....(yet) Thank gawd it's almost gone, cuz I don't know how much more my hips can withstand of it though.....

Anyway, I had teriyaki (marinated beef threaded on skewers cooked on a charcoal grill), which used to be a cookout staple when I was growing up, and I hadn't had it in YEARS. I couldn't wait for this past weekend to have some. I made sure I ate safe stuff first and saved the bad stuff for last. But I tried it and it was gross. (I ended up spitting some out in a napkin it tasted so bad to me. ) The same has happened to me with fries I've sampled and other no-nos.

Am I a freak or what?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yep. new
      #211564 - 09/07/05 12:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I tried a sip of my daughter's chocolate milk. I haven't had it in YEARS. And you know what? I much prefer my Silk Chocolate Soy Milk.
Same thing with feta - I prefer the soy version.
Same thing with soy parmesan.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Yep, happens to me new
      #211581 - 09/07/05 01:48 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, I'm sure, but I somewhat-recently stole a nibble of ice cream, and it tasted like frozen lard. YUCK. I've had similar things happen with full-fat cookies and brownies; they just taste like flavored grease, and the texture is so totally repulsive.

Steak, unfortunately, I still have a taste for. But pork tastes like dirt. There's another YUCK.

So no, you're not a freak at all!

Does this mean I won't love cheesecake anymore ? -nt- new
      #211589 - 09/07/05 02:14 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

YES! new
      #211615 - 09/07/05 04:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I had some cheesecake for dessert Saturday and it was ho hum. I would have preferred something else.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Well, I guess Heather has corrupted us! LOL J/K new
      #211743 - 09/08/05 09:54 AM
*Melissa*

I guess we are better off in the long run, eh?

Casey, I love your description "they just taste like flavored grease." That is EXACTLY what it's like. Weird.

Well, glad I'm not alone.

They make a soy feta? new
      #211744 - 09/08/05 09:55 AM
*Melissa*

I had no idea. I will have to look for that.....thanks!

Re: Unfortunately my grocery store stopped carrying it. -nt- new
      #211803 - 09/08/05 01:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Do you ever "cheat" and it's just not good anymore? new
      #211811 - 09/08/05 01:33 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yes, I tried a few bites of prime rib a few months back.....{{aaaaaawwwwwkkkkkkkkkk}} nothing like chewing grainy fat...tasted totally different from years ago when I used to eat a good 12oz chunk including that white fatty stuff on the edges... eeggggghhhhhh I think I might get sick just thinking about it now.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Yep, happens to me new
      #275630 - 07/25/06 01:22 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

Dairy is still my weak spot... no problems giving up meat and insoluble fibers, but I crave all dairy. Sometimes it is all I can think about. Sort of sad, but I'm guessing that my body is trying to tell me that it isn't getting enough calcium or something!

~ Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Re: Yep. new
      #275631 - 07/25/06 01:24 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

::giggle:: I actually converted my milk loving BF to chocolate soy milk! It's funny to watch him drink regular, whole milk from the carton and then pour a glass of chocolate soy milk!

~ Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Yep! Regular potato chips - thought theyd be a treat, were just greasy and gross!! -nt- new
      #275642 - 07/25/06 02:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Me too... new
      #275649 - 07/25/06 03:42 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I had french fries (oven baked, but store bought ones) and they just don't have the same impact as I remember! And I used to just make a whole tray and have that for dinner! Same with potato chips - like Heather - they were just gross and greasy and I had attacks like crazy after. It wasn't even worth it!
Thank goodness chocolate still holds a dear place in my heart ( and stomache)

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#275658 - 07/25/06 06:09 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but I used to love Icey Squares.. It's this yummy chocolate that has a slight hazelnut flavor, they mostly come out around xmas time.. Or cadbury cream eggs, or whoppers (malted milk candies) at one time I could just eat them and eat them until I made myself sick but now, they are just too sweet.. I never thought I would ever think that in my life.. I also used to love the red lindor chocolates.. <sigh> those were the days...

#275663 - 07/25/06 06:48 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

OMG! I loved those icy squares as a kid. I've never seen them since adult hood. Those *are* very sweet.

Re: Yep, happens to me new
      #275689 - 07/26/06 07:20 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I DEFINITELY agree on the dairy cravings! One time, after eating a vegan chocolate chip cookie, I was just CRAVING a glass of milk. So, I gave in, chugged the whole thing, and thought I was going to puke afterwards!! Vanilla rice milk tastes SO much better than milk - I don't know how I drank plain milk for so long!!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2822

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review