All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Question about Citrucel (causing me pain)
      #20954 - 09/16/03 09:02 PM
m1khaela

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I know from reading Heather's web page about fiber supplements that it can take time to adjust to a fiber supplement, but I'm wondering if there are warning signs that indicate that a particular fiber supplement is the wrong one.

I'm IBS-C and started taking Citrucel two days ago because Metamucil was causing severe pain. The Citrucel isn't yet helping with the pain/bloating/gas (which is understandable since it's just two days) but not only that when I took it this morning before work it immediately started causing so much gas/pain/bloating that I almost missed my train to work because I couldn't stand up I was hurting so much.

So basically, I'm wondering--is this a normal adjustment to a new supplement that I just need to put up with temporarily or do I need to try something else? Have other people had this problem with Citrucel?

(Would tablets perhaps be a better bet? My local pharmacy doesn't carry anything but Metamucil, Citrucel and Fibercon, but I could try to go to another pharmacy to find something like Benefiber.)

thanks
Mikhaela (once again, bent over in pain!)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Citrucel (causing me pain) new
      #20959 - 09/17/03 01:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Well, it's not a good sign that you had such immediate bloating and pain from the Citrucel, especially if that was on an empty stomach. Are you using the plain variety? Sometimes it's the flavors/colors/sweeteners that are the culprit.

I would try something like Equalactin or Fibercon, or Benefiber, and see how they work. It frustrates me terribly that everyone has such different responses to the supplements, and it comes down to trial and error. Citrucel is usually one of the winners (as is Benefiber) but some folks really can only tolerate the tablets.

Wish I had a firmer answer here...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20965 - 09/17/03 03:55 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Also, make sure you're starting out at a low dose and gradually building up.

#20968 - 09/17/03 05:47 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. When I first started using the Citrucel, I was doubled over in pain too. However, after about a week or two of this and no BM's, I realized I was taking the fiber supplement and eating ONLY soluble fiber---oatmeal, bread, rice, potatoes, etc. I was too afraid to eat any insoluble fiber! You cannot do this! No wonder I was doubled over in pain! Once I started SAFELY adding in insoluble fiber, the pain and bloating gradually subsided and BM's started happening. And for some reason, I have discovered that the Clear Mix Citrucel does not work for me, but that the orange mix Citrucel works beautifully! I stupidely just bought another can of the Clear Mix (it was on sale) and after 2 days of it, I'm back to my C again. So I went back to the drugstore and bought the regular orange flavored again. Hope you get this figured out.

#20973 - 09/17/03 07:27 AM
m1khaela

Hmmm... well I didn't take it on an empty stomach, I took it after eating some oatmeal. I bought the orange-flavored packets, and took one packet mixed into a glass of water before I started feeling the pain.

I'll go to the store and see if I can get some Benefiber or Fibercon or maybe the clear non-flavored Citrucel or Citrucel pill-form supplements.

I will try and make sure to eat some insoluble fiber as well, it just makes me a little nervous right now!

thanks for the advice and thoughts
Mikhaela

#20980 - 09/17/03 07:54 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

You said you took the Citrucel after a bowl of oatmeal...could it have been the oatmeal? Because oatmeal causes me to double over in pain (except for plain instant oatmeal, which for some reason I can tolerate). Just a thought!

#20981 - 09/17/03 07:55 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

m1khaela,
I hate to sound redundant, but I will say it again---if you're eating only foods with soluble fiber (such as your oatmeal for breakfast) and drinking it with a fiber supplement such as Citrucel, all your body is getting is SOLUBLE fiber, which will definitely cause you to be constipated and be bloated and in pain! Think of it this way---you are eating your safe food (oatmeal) and getting more SAFE soluble fiber with your supplement, so now you can and must add in insoluble fiber in order to get things moving. I'm not advocating you eat a huge salad, but try adding finely diced peeled fruit to your oatmeal. If you have a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch, try adding lettuce and tomato to it. With dinner, have sauteed vegetables (mushrooms, squash, zucchini) with your pasta or rice. Of course, I wouldn't recommend veggies like broccoli and cauliflower, at least not in the beginning of this journey. ----Also, I wanted to mention that I didn't tolerate oatmeal very well. Once I switched to Rice Chex cereal and rice milk for breakfast, I was much better. Just try different things until you figure out what works for you! Hang in there! I know it's frustrating especially when you're in pain. I fell off the wagon last night and ate a cheeseburger and FF from Wendy's and boy, am I paying for it today. What was I thinking????

#21070 - 09/17/03 08:25 PM
m1khaela

Hmmm, good question. It was plain instant oatmeal with nothing in it, which doesn't usually seem to cause any problems. But maybe I should try the Rice Chex and see if that changes anything. So much trial and error!

and again, thanks everyone for all the helpful advice...

Mikhaela

#21071 - 09/17/03 08:29 PM
m1khaela

Thanks Beaglelover, I appreciate the advice!

I've been trying to add some insoluble fiber because I definitely found that I feel more constipated since starting the soluble diet. I ate a few small pieces of cucumber with my rice and grilled chicken dinner, and ate a peeled and chopped up pear. But I am feeling so awful and bloated right now that I don't know if I went a little too far (maybe pears aren't a good idea and I should stick with mangoes!)...

I'll just have to keep trying to be careful with the insoluble stuff...

-Mikhaela

#21090 - 09/18/03 04:00 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Try making smoothies. If you use Heather's strawberry banana from Eating for IBS, you can also sub peaches, blueberries, etc. or a combo for the stawberry in the recipe. It's a really safe way to get some insoluble.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 815 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review