All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ginger Tea Question
      #209437 - 08/29/05 10:32 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm not a huge tea drinker, but have been looking for a way to cut down on my nausea in the morning so I bought a box of Ginger Aid tea by Traditional Medicinials. This morning was the first morning that I tried it and it worked great keeping down the icky nausea feeling.

I brewed one cup at 5:30am and brewed another cup that I drank in class around 7:30am. Between cups, I had some Puffins (original) cereal from Barbara's Bakery, which I have every morning and normally do not give me a problem.

Unfortunately around 8:30am, I started getting the rumblings of an attack. I had 15 mins left of class and had already talked to my teacher about attacks, but didn't want to miss anything and barely got out of there and to the bathroom in time.

I've never had a full-blown attack during class (thankfully), so I'm wondering if it was an ingredient in the tea? I have trouble determining which tea leaves have caffine in them so was hoping someone can help me with this. Here are the ingredients in the Ginger Aid:

Ginger rhizome 1180 mg. Proprietary blend: blackberry leaf, organic stevia leaf, organic lemon myrtle leaf (Backhousia citriodora).

I'm thinking maybe the stevia, but artificial sugar doesn't usually bother me. I'm stumped with this one.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ginger Tea Question new
      #209445 - 08/29/05 10:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I really don't know. Even at the point when EVERYTHING gave me D, I could drink that tea and not have problems... but of course everyone's different. Do you normally have tea in the morning, or something else hot to drink? Maybe it was the heat of the tea, not a specific ingredient in it, if your system's not used to it.

#209453 - 08/29/05 11:00 AM
Jennifer Rose

I normally don't drink anything in the morning so it might have been the heat of the tea. Temperatures don't usually bother me either, but things change. Guess I'll have to try it tomorrow morning to see if I get similar results. Luckily I don't have class.

Thanks Casey!

--------------------
- Jennifer

I don't think Ginger Tea is okay with me... new
      #209460 - 08/29/05 11:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

personally. I think it gives me tummy aches even though it is suppose to be good for tummy problems. I know Linz has a problem with Ginger too.

Can you tolerate ginger in foods or chewy candies?

I see your eating Puffin cereal again! Does this mean you are okay with it again? In an earlier post you said you thought it might have caused an attack. Are you sure it wasn't the cereal? I recently bought the cinnamon flavor one but haven't tried it yet! Do you think the original flavor would be safer than the cinnamon flavor? I'm worried about the heavy amount of corn bran and 6 grams of fiber!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#209461 - 08/29/05 11:39 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

The tea looks ok to me... maybe the stevia.....could it maybe be something that you ate on Sunday that is giving you grief today?

Maybe it was you having in inhale all the "After Burrito Air" from the construction workers in your office that you got them on the lunch breaks over the weekend that you told me about!! LOL sorry ...hehehe

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (08/29/05 11:57 AM)

PS new
      #209463 - 08/29/05 11:47 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Jennifer...how are you! How's the kitty and the apartment? Good to see ya on the board...though not with an attack!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I don't think Ginger Tea is okay with me... new
      #209473 - 08/29/05 11:58 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

personally. I think it gives me tummy aches even though it is suppose to be good for tummy problems. I know Linz has a problem with Ginger too.

I hope not. It did wonders for my nausea this morning and felt so nice to have what felt like a normal feeling tummy for an hour or two.

Quote:

Can you tolerate ginger in foods or chewy candies?

I've never tried them! We're hopefully getting some samples of these at the Sprawl and I hope to try them there.

Quote:

I see your eating Puffin cereal again! Does this mean you are okay with it again? In an earlier post you said you thought it might have caused an attack. Are you sure it wasn't the cereal? I recently bought the cinnamon flavor one but haven't tried it yet! Do you think the original flavor would be safer than the cinnamon flavor? I'm worried about the heavy amount of corn bran and 6 grams of fiber!

Yup - I'm back to eating Puffins, just not rice milk. Which sucks because they were really yummy with the rice milk. I stick them in a plastic baggie now and munch on them on my way to work/school. The cinnamon ones are yummy, although I'm on the original ones now because of the potential extra nausea from the sugar/cinnamon in the morning. They are yummy and I don't see to have a problem with them!

Thanks for the reply, Beth.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#209478 - 08/29/05 12:01 PM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

The tea looks ok to me... maybe the stevia.....could it maybe be something that you ate on Sunday that is giving you grief today?

That's what I'm sort of leaning towards if no one else has had a problem with the ginger tea. My mom made her 'Sunshine Chicken' and although she tries to make her meals as safe as possible, I almost always have an attack afterwards. But it's usually the same night so maybe this one just got delayed?

Quote:

Maybe it was you having in inhale all the "After Burrito Air" from the construction workers in your office that you got them on the lunch breaks over the weekend that you told me about!! LOL sorry ...hehehe

Oh geez.. they were so bad! After lunch, I went over to my boss' house everytime I needed to use the bathroom because it smelled so bad. We need to hurry up and finish the other bathrooms because my boss' wife and I have decided to make the current bathroom our "private" bathroom with a lock and key!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#209479 - 08/29/05 12:02 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

if you normally don't drink anything in the morning, it might just have been the extra fullness in your stomach. i'm a major water-drinker, but my first glass in the morning, wih my psyllium, always gives me a bit of a full/queasy feeling for a few minutes, since i drink it rather quickly with the caps. that might have manifested as an attack for you, the way ice water affects some people, just as a shock to your system.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#209481 - 08/29/05 12:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I'm sort of leaning towards if no one else has had a problem with the ginger tea. My mom made her 'Sunshine Chicken' and although she tries to make her meals as safe as possible, I almost always have an attack afterwards. But it's usually the same night so maybe this one just got delayed?

Quote:

Oh geez.. they were so bad! After lunch, I went over to my boss' house everytime I needed to use the bathroom because it smelled so bad. We need to hurry up and finish the other bathrooms because my boss' wife and I have decided to make the current bathroom our "private" bathroom with a lock and key!

LOL..... that is a good idea..lock & key!! Should I send you a case a Fabreeze until then? LOL

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review