All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Differences in trigger foods
      #209038 - 08/27/05 03:26 AM
Hannahbanana

Reged: 08/27/05

Hi,

I've just bought Heather's book and have cooked recipes from it all last week. I've been so pleased with it - the recipes are delicious, and I've felt so much better after meals. It's so nice to eat food and not feel awful afterwards!

However, one thing the book doesn't really talk about is differences that people have. For example I'm extremely intolerant to garlic, but it's in so many of the recipes. I've also been avoiding wheat for the past three months, and am surprised how many of the recipes use wheat products. On the other hand, I'm not as sensitive to high fat foods so can eat chips (in england they are like french fries, but only potato fried in oil, so nasties or flour) and also can eat egg yolks with no problem (I think).

I'd be interested to know just how different people's triggers are, what adjustments you have to make to recipes to make them safe for you.

Hb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Differences in trigger foods new
      #209039 - 08/27/05 04:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome to the boards!

I'm pretty fortunate in that, now that I'm stable, I don't have ANY oddball intolerances anymore. The only thing I can think of is that I don't like soy cheeses, so I omit them from recipes, or don't make recipes that are heavily dependent on them.

Wheat isn't an IBS trigger, and in fact it's an excellent source of soluble fiber (well, when it's not whole wheat), so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the recipes contain wheat products. There's actually very few people with IBS only who are sensitive to wheat. I don't have too much experience with substituting for wheat flours, but you might have some luck checking out the recipes and hints at www.celiac.com - and, of course, I'm sure someone else will come along here who has more experience with that kind of thing than I do.

Are you allergic to garlic? Or does it simply give you IBS-related problems? As long as you're not allergic, garlic powder might be a good substitution for you.

Generally speaking, some of the more creative cooks here can suggest substitutes for just about anything in a recipe - or tell you when it's absolutely vital that you NOT substitute. I can't tell you exactly how that's done; speaking for myself, it's just a lot of common-sense trial-and-error. But if you have any questions about specific recipes, post them on the Recipes board and we'll be glad to help you out!

yeah it is weird new
      #209151 - 08/27/05 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Everybody is a little specific on their triggers. On the whole though the dietary needs are the same and following the main points of eating everything with soluble fiber and avoiding the hard to digest foods and additives works for everyone. It is strange however how some people can hardly take any insoluble fiber or raw foods and others are super sensitive to fat. the basic bones of the diet plan are brilliant and then it is wonderfully flexible after that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 706 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review