All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: LOL! A B.O.B.! new
      #208465 - 08/25/05 10:05 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

yah i used to get teased too. and those times i didnt have a problem!! i was just naturally really really thin. but the IBS has kicked that up and i just wish it would go back to normal. i tell myself sometimes its just a phase and that my bloating will go down but it never does. grr---there was this girl in my HS that was really thin and tan and blonde and all the guys would always talk about how thin and perfect she was and it made me sick b/c she looked like a witch with a hook-nose!

hey ive actually been meaning to ask you...i always read your food posts and love love love! the green-veggie purees you make. which green ones do you primarily choose? when i was in europe, my BFs aunt made pureed spinich using soymilk and little olive oil and flour and it was SO GOOD! i was thinking using that recipe would be a good way to make sure i get all the vitamins in veggies that dont usually get obtained. any tips?? thanks kate im sorry about your nasty BOB comments people can be evil

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a little blue now.. new
      #208468 - 08/25/05 10:10 AM
little bear

thanks a bunch kate i actually have a burning urge to learn more--and i have made it one of my goals!! i actually would like to have a little vegan/organic cafe in europe w/all the little cakes and pastries in traditional cafes. i want to have cafe alaits and cappacinos and fresh juices and smoothies and all that fun stuff. when i think about that and what I could accomplish, i feel great! i love to cook and think about cooking b/c its something im creating. i love making vegan "mock" dishes instead of real ones and having friends try the difference. i love to talk about all the alternative ways of eating b/c so many people dont know about it. i feel very wise almost sometimes about it. but youre right! ill try more to focus on that.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: Oh honey new
      #208471 - 08/25/05 10:15 AM
little bear

thanks steph
you dont think theyre pretty? maybe its the airbrush or something but i think they look prettier then they used to maybe thats shallow of me but when theyre all sparkly in the magazines and stuff its really hard to feel okay about myself even though i know its all fake anyway. i guess its the fact that its right there--BAM--in the face for us to see and its like you cant look away. i really used to like hilary duff b/c she wasnt a teen queen whore like the rest of them seem to be but now shes thin which says shes basically no better then the rest of them. but now she looks prettier too

the thing about europe is theres no sleezy tabloids to get caught up in. thanks stephie

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: Oh honey new
      #208473 - 08/25/05 10:24 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I agree with Stephie that I don't think these girls have gotten any prettier by losing weight. Their eyes look dull, their hair looks limp--they don't look like the strong young women they were, instead they look, in a way, pre-pubescent. And their heads look HUGE.

You're right though, Little Bear, that we see them so often that we get use to how they look and think that's the "right" way to look. Whatever standards they feel they have to live up to is obviously making them lose the core of who they are. Beauty isn't fancy pictures or stick thin legs, it's the whole package--how you carry yourself, your personality, your individual style, your overall healthiness and well-being.

Please take care of yourself, Little Bear.

speaking of airbrushing... new
      #208474 - 08/25/05 10:28 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

glamour magazine (which is seriously the healthiest fashion mag to read, and cares - even if it's a marketing ploy - about making women feel good about themselves) has a really neat article this month about airbrushing, where they show before and afters of it. i knew airbrushing was major, but i had no idea.

(my roommate subscribes to the new yorker, newsweek, rolling stone, spin, and the economist... i get glamour and time out new york. i let this be amusing rather than anything else. glamour is total fluff, but it's encouraging fluff with pictures of pretty clothes.)

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Embarassed but new
      #208485 - 08/25/05 11:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I feel the same way you do Ashley *hugs*

Thin is better.

Esp. since my hubby thought I looked better at 110 lbs than I do now at 135 lbs (I am 5'5 and a half). I DO need to work out to look better. BUT he thinks I looked GREAT when I was underweight HE is so influenced by the media (even though we don't own a television anymore!) and by what he sees in his office and walking down the streets...of course he wants me to look like a BOB

I have no IDEA how to deal with this! Maybe I should speak to my therapist about it?

I honestly WANT to eat what my body wants and leave the rest and not worry about it!

sigh

I think thinner looks better as it is what I was taught at home and in the media and from the women walking down the street. VERY upsetting....but I look at the stars in the mags waiting to buy my groceries and also think thinner looks better

What can we do to CHANGE this....obviously we must begin with ourselves...anyone have any thoughts on how Ashley and I can CHANGE oursleves...reprogram?

Thanks for sharing...I'm proud of you and your honesty...you rock! Love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Embarassed but new
      #208497 - 08/25/05 11:28 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Who wants to cuddle with a BOB?

I think this would be a good issue to discuss with your therapist. Maybe she can provide a reason why this belief isn't correct. Or maybe to start you can ask yourself Why do you think thinner is better? Does this belief hurt or help your well-being? What does it mean to be thin? Does it mean people will like you better? Does it automatically make you better than other people? And what do you consider thin? When you look at other women, what do you consider beautiful? Who are the most beautiful women you know in real life? What makes you admire them?

Now, does your DH prefer you to be thinner because he thinks you look better or was your attitude different when you're thinner? Maybe back then you were more comfortable with yourself and that confidence is what attracted him.

Sorry if I've butted in on this discussion, but I think I look good when I FEEL good. Well, now I'm going to worry about you two. Both of your personalities sparkle through your posts, so I already think you're beautiful!

I've been there.... new
      #208499 - 08/25/05 11:38 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I've always been relatively thin but that doesn't mean I haven't ever felt "heavy" or bloated or just not thin enough..particularly regarding my stomach area. And yeah, I read all the magazines and watch all the shows and that doesn't help! But...as I've gotten older (I'm 28.75), and it's gotten harder to lose weight, I've gotten more comfortable with my body and how it is. It doesn't hurt that I'm married to a man who is constantly complimenting me. So I tell myself---we'll, HE likes it, why shouldn't I? Another thing that helps---I'm wanting to have kids soon--REAL soon, and I know that being ultra thin isn't going to help that. It helps me keep perspective and to understand the difference between healthy and skinny for the sake of being skinny, you know? I exercise regularly and eat well and as long as I keep that up, no matter what my weight, I feel good. Plus, I remind myself---if I lose too much weight, I'll lose what boobs I have. Ok, that's dumb but you take the good with the bad right???

--------------------

Too thin new
      #208505 - 08/25/05 11:56 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I wish I weighed 135 again. When I did everyone thought I was too thin. I had no boobs, no ass, and a tiny waist. My legs were heavy, but they were when I was a kid, too.
The only way we will get rid of all the "skinny" glamour is to not buy into it. Don't buy the magazines, demand larger size clothes are made attractive and look up to some of the more normal looking people in the media. Oprah was popular before she lost weight. I get so mad when I see ads for clothes that are modeled by 12 year olds made up to look older.
We'll have to start a line of clothes for bloat bellies. Pants that dip lower in the front and pretty long blouses that flair in the front. I think I just described maternity clothes LOL

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Embarassed but new
      #208536 - 08/25/05 01:46 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hmmm...how to change/reprogram?

1. There is always the therapy thing. That really doesn't help long-term, though and certainly not on its own.
2. Drugs. Yes, these help. The anorexia thing is totally obsessive and causes such psychic anxiety. I take Buspar and WOW what a difference.
3. Focus on the positive side of being food obsessed--become ORTHOREXIC, or a health nut. Get passionate about a cause related to food or cooking or exercise/fitness, politics, animal rights, poverty, the environment. It's a shift in focus. Choose exercise that is grounding, i.e. yoga, swimming--gentle stuff, stuff that's good for the nerves. For awhile, I volunteered at a soup kitchen. That really really helped me alot. Play Eleanor Roosevelt.
4. Meditate.

That's all I can think of at the moment. This is what's helped me. The in-patient program only got me to a level of physical health.

Kate, IBS-D--nearly "stable."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1573 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3101

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review