All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Saw GI Dr. today and very confused???
      #205672 - 08/15/05 04:24 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I saw my GI Dr. today and he has ordered some testing on me, he wants a CTA of my abdomen which will show the blood flow to my mesenteric and celiac arteries, but that isn't my confusion, everytime I have an attack, I always start out with a lot of unGodly pain, a normal BM followed by explosive D, he wants me to start Zelnorm. I told him I always have D and he asked me what my BM's would be like if I didn't eat fiber and I told him I probably wouldn't go, so that is what he's basing the trying the Zelnorm on?? Does this make sense to anyone? He also wants me to have a laporoscopy to check for endometrosis, I know what it is, but has anyone had that, endometrosis? I did a search and didn't find anything. He said since my pain is always prominent in the same area, he thinks I may have adhesions, due to my pregnancy, the IBS and just age??? I told him I have never been able to go past 27 days without having an attack. That was last month, this month I have already had 3.........Oh, well, any input would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Saw GI Dr. today and very confused??? new
      #205673 - 08/15/05 04:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm sorry I don't have any advice and I don't have any experience with endometriosis. I just wanted to wish you well and that it sounds like you have a smart and thorough doctor. Some GIs might not consider endometriosis or other possible problems and just leave you with the IBS diagnosis. You might want to do a search on endometriosis and/or pelvic adhesions just to get some more information about it; I believe some other members have posted about this, maybe you'll find something useful.

Please keep us updated!

#205680 - 08/15/05 04:51 PM
DanieB

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

I am IBS-C with endo and adnomyosis. (endometrium tissue that grows inside the uterine lining) Endo is where the endometrium tissue grows outside the uterus and can grow on your colon and other organs. If you don't mind my asking, do you have really painful periods - bad cramps, heavy bleeding? I have been a chronic C all my life until I had acupuncture last year. I now have a BM almost every day. I have learned the difference between my IBS pain and the pain from the endo. I have "period" cramps every day even while taking a high estrogen BCP. My IBS "attacks" are different. I usually get a stabbing pain on my lower left side where your sigmoid colon is. It is quite possible that you have it. I know many women who suffer from IBS also have endo. Neither is fun. I am actually going to try Lupron shots for my endo pain. Next to having a hysterectomy this is my next option. I tried Zelnorm for the chronic C but it did absolutely nothing for me. Each person is different though.

#205682 - 08/15/05 04:52 PM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

My GP ordered a transvaginal ultrasound to check for endometriosis (sp?). He was taking all precautions. I hope all turns out well for you!

Re: Saw GI Dr. today and very confused??? *DELETED* new
      #205683 - 08/15/05 04:56 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

#205692 - 08/15/05 05:32 PM
LtDanFan

I told him I have no pain with my periods and they are always on time, I'm not even close to those dreaded menopause years yet. But he said that I could still have adhesions and the lapo would tell??

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#205695 - 08/15/05 05:35 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks everyone!! For the well wishes. The CTA scan is Thursday, the one that checks the blood flow to my colon, he said it' fairly new and a good test. Does anyone know about even though I usually end up with D that he still wants me to take Zelnorm??

--------------------

#205834 - 08/16/05 07:52 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Same for me here. Normal BW, tons of pain and then the D. I have endometrosis. I have had the laporoscopy and it is painless. Your are put to sleep. I am now on the birth control patch to control the endometrosis. It only acts up during that time of month but I will always have a IBS attack when my period is about to start. The birth control patch I wear 24/7, no off weeks. My GI says the endometrosis make my IBS worse but it is not causing it. I do not need the patch, had a tubal years ago. I decided to wear the patch, my GI did not think of it but I figure since I always have a attack during my period, why not get rid of it?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review