All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions for Heather- Please help
      #20465 - 09/12/03 08:16 AM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Hi
Recently my gas, gas pains, gas cramps, bloating, fullness, pressure has gotten worse. I have been taking digestive enzymes and oviously they aren't working since you know my gas and bloating is worse then ever! Could it be the digestive enzymes? Can they really cause bloating and gas? Also I was wondering if some info in the IBS Audio Program booklet is correct. It says vegetarian and vegan diets may cause symtoms to get worse due to high fibre content and different starches which ferment in the gut. Could that be why my bloating and gas is worse? I don't know what to do.
Thanks.
Take Care

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions for Heather- Please help new
      #20482 - 09/12/03 10:13 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Angel - I haven't heard of digestive enzymes making things worse for people, but if you've just started a new product and this has happened then discontinue it and see if that helps.

Vegetarian and vegan diets are almost always higher in both types of fiber simply because plant foods have fibers, and animal products don't. If you're not eating animal products you're likely eating a lot more plant foods, and that means more fiber. If it's insoluble fiber, that can be a trigger. But what really matters is that you're following the guidelines for HOW to eat insoluble fibers. You can't just avoid them altogether.

And I'd be much happier to have someone start as a vegetarian or vegan and adjust their diet for IBS, because they've already eliminated red meat and dairy, which are the single greatest triggers for almost everyone.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20526 - 09/12/03 12:18 PM
till

My bloating and gas got worse after I started taking the digestive enzymes so I stopped taking them today. I'll see if my bloating and gas decreases. I have been eating insoluble fiber correctly. I'm going to get Probiotics hopeful it will help the severe gas and bloating.
Thanks.

#20625 - 09/13/03 11:50 AM
till

It was the digestive enzymes that gave me more bloating and gas! Since I stopped them I'm a little better but since I took the digestive enzymes for days it might be days til my stomach is back to normal. I got Probiotics today so hopefully it will help the pain and gas. Maybe the digestive enzymes gave be more bloating and gas because I read in a article that you shouldn't drink liquids during your meals when you take digestive enzymes because it can dilute stomach acid or enzymes. I drink 1 cup of water 3 times a day with meals since I have to take Dicetel with a cup of water with meals.

#20676 - 09/14/03 01:03 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Quote:

Maybe the digestive enzymes gave be more bloating and gas because I read in a article that you shouldn't drink liquids during your meals when you take digestive enzymes because it can dilute stomach acid or enzymes. I drink 1 cup of water 3 times a day with meals since I have to take Dicetel with a cup of water with meals.

It is a myth that we should avoid drinking water during meals. For more information, please read this article (written by a doctor): web page

Thanks for the info. new
      #20682 - 09/14/03 05:10 PM
till

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5992 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1012

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review