All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia, Citrucel, Fibercon? Which do most use and taste the best
      #203088 - 08/06/05 05:20 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

Hello, I was on Citrucel orange flavor and have learned from the board the orange flavor is a big no-no. So the plain taste so bad so please let me know what you all use and why. I am IBS-D and prefer the powder so I know I am getting enough liqid. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia, Citrucel, Fibercon? Which do most use and taste the best new
      #203089 - 08/06/05 05:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The orange flavor is actually fine - you just want to make sure that you're NOT using the sugar-free one, because artificial sweeteners are the real big no-no!

#203094 - 08/06/05 06:27 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I was using Benefiber Powder at first and it helped a little. I put it in my hot tea and it tasted fine. But then I tried the Acacia in a couple teaspoons of applesauce (it didn't melt well in hot liquid) and it made a noticable difference in my D. I've read on these boards that some people with C didn't do as well on the Acacia. I am now up to 1 Tablespoon in the a.m. and 1 T at bedtime and for now that dosage is working. Good luck with working out the fiber you use.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#203125 - 08/06/05 09:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's what I found Heather said about orange flavored SFS (in the Common Pitfalls section near the bottom of the page:

Quote:

In addition, citric acid is often added to orange-flavored supplements, and this can cause acid reflux in susceptible people (though it doesn't typically bother IBS).

I thought the citric acid would be bad for IBS, too, but apparently not necessarily. (If I'm one of the people who told you orange flavored SFS would be bad, I apologize.)

I use acacia, 8 teaspoons a day (20 grams of SF). That's considered high for someone who is IBS-D like me, but it works wonders and I definitely feel the difference if I don't take it for a couple of days. Acacia and Benefiber seemed the two gentlest, least gloopy SFS. I tried Benefiber, but it bothered me, so Acacia it was. Plus, Heather's approach to IBS gave me my life back and therefore I liked the idea of buying one of her products.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#203193 - 08/06/05 03:47 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

If it was working for you and not bothering you, it's not a "no-no." Do what's best for your individual body.

I do metamucil capsules with calcium for lunch (how else are we going to get calcium??) and the acacia when I get home. Both work great. I've heard some say the metamucil can give them gas, but I've never had a problem with it.

#203277 - 08/07/05 04:00 AM
LisaRae

It does cause acid reflux in me. I bought the sugar free last night and was up all night sick. I just read your post and now know why I was sick. I will order the acacia. Do you add water to yours? She has different types of acacia. Thanks so much for your help.

#203297 - 08/07/05 08:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As far as I know, the Acacia Heather sells is all the same (unless I missed something). The only question is whether you want it in the bag or in the decorative can. Since the can is more expensive, my advice would be to buy 1 bag to start and make sure your tummy likes it before you spring for the more expensive can (which is reusable and makes a nice storage thing, but is certainly not essential especially if you're up to your eyeballs in plastic containers like I am). Once I was sure I could handle it - I love it - I began ordering 3 bags at a time. You get a little break on shipping if you order more than one at once.

I'm currently taking 8 teaspoons of Acacia every day - that's 20 grams of soluble fiber from my SFS. That's considered a lot for someone who's IBS-D like I am, but not necessarily for someone who's C. I got there very, very slowly. I started by taking 1/4 teaspoon per day. I did that for 3 days, then added another 1/4 teaspoon, did that for 3 days, another 1/4 teaspoon, and so on. Every so often I'd just stick with a dosage for a week or so, not increasing. No particular reason, just checking to see how I was doing. Once I got to 8 teaspoons, I was doing very well so that's where I stopped.

I take 1 teaspoon of Acacia in 1/2 cup applesauce first thing in the morning and mix the other 7 teaspoons in 24 ounces of water and stick it in the fridge. I usually drink 12 ounces of it at lunch and 12 ounces of it at dinner, but sometimes I'll sip on it throughout the afternoon and/or evening.

There. More about Acacia than you ever wanted to know. I hope this helps and I hope the Acacia works as well for you as it does for me.

(BTW, if the Citrucel you're taking is sugar free it might have artifical sweeteners in it. Those can wreak havoc on IBS.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#203308 - 08/07/05 09:25 AM
LisaRae

Thanks so much for the info.

Thanks, Sand. I truly appreciate this! -nt- new
      #203368 - 08/07/05 03:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#203370 - 08/07/05 04:01 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I use the Citrucel tablets 4 am, 4 afternoon and 4 pm, I know that is not enough SFS, but I do eat a lot of other SF a day. Also, I'm a creature of habit, I tried Fibercon and Metamucil and neither worked. I'd like to try the Acacia, but I'm afraid..........I had asked for input from those who have had great success and those who haven't, before I invest in it, but haven't heard anything. I am IBS-D

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5734 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review