All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-Ds...help!
      #201409 - 08/01/05 11:33 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Why are oily foods a trigger?

I used to be able to eat chow mein and egg rolls. Now one egg roll gets my tummy burbling.

Usually eggs don't bother me. But I had eggs, potatoes and a biscuit for breakfast and my tummy started to get uncomfortable. Was it the buttermilk in the biscuit? The little bit of butter? The paprika in the potatoes? Or...the eggs. For lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly on a bagel and a piece of See's chocolate. I have this every weekend, no problem. Before dinner I started getting the loosies. For dinner I had veges cooked in wine, garlic and herbs, and the dreaded egg roll. It took two Immodiums, two peppermint-ginger capsules, and my hot pack to tame the burbling beast. Arrgh!
Stress and lack of sleep are usually my triggers. Now it seems that several foods do it too. I'm popping Immodium almost every day. I feel like I'm cheating! Don't you wish you could just eat normally again?

I've gained back a few pounds and I'm desperately trying to hang onto them. I'm almost on the body mass index chart now!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-Ds...help! new
      #201414 - 08/01/05 11:46 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i don't know *why* fatty foods are a trigger - i don't know if anyone knows why certain foods are, but i find fatty foods to be up there with coffee for me. the whole gastrocolic reflex. it's hardcore.

i'd just say that the fatty foods are quite possibly trigerring your attacks, rather than the spices or something else. it really sucks to have to eat like a sick person, but there are ways to make it work - low-fat peanut butter, for example. there seems to be a lot of sneaky fat in the meals you listed - egg yolks, biscuits, butter, peanut butter, chocolate. (garlic and other harsh spices can also be tricky.) if you're trying to gain weight, i'd look for calories in other places - lean meat, grains, even some sugar. fat can be *really* hard on an ibs system, and the pain just isn't worth it.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

But we need some fat, right? new
      #201419 - 08/01/05 12:16 PM
Digby

So true about the hidden fats. I usually eat low-fat (except for the peanut butter). But I'm finding that I don't get enough fat, which isn't good. Dr. Weil had an article recently about how not enough fat can lead to gallstones. I guess we just need to find the right fats, and the right balance.

Re: But we need some fat, right? new
      #201427 - 08/01/05 12:29 PM
jaime g

yeah, and making sure that the fats aren't on an empty stomach, and are mixed with other foods, like sf. i find fried foods are way too much to handle, but i can take low-fat peanut butter or mayonaise on a sandwich, a little olive oil in cooking, or a tiny bit of margarine on toast. there are also foods like avocados and soy products that have fats in them that i find are easier on my stomach.

--------------------
jaime

Re: But we need some fat, right? new
      #201444 - 08/01/05 01:14 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

1. I think that Dr. Weil is a hyper-publicized media doctor and only "one" trendy opinion with an M.D.
2. Personally, I don't add a drop of fat to food. This does not mean that I do not get fat in my diet. The fat is naturally occurring, though minimal, in the food itself.
3. Fat is a HUGE D/attack trigger for me and I avoid it in all forms.
4. If you want to "gain" weight add ultra lean safe protein to your diet, exercise, and safe complex carbohydrates.
5. I think that the "fats" being advertised--note, ADVERTISED-- are just that: hype. It's trendy thinking and also if it triggers an attack and unwellness then it's doing more harm than good, anyways.

Kate, IBS-D.

i second kate -nt- new
      #201449 - 08/01/05 01:27 PM
jaime g

--------------------
jaime

What symptoms make you think you're not getting enough fat? -nt- new
      #201501 - 08/01/05 03:48 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: IBS-Ds...help! new
      #201519 - 08/01/05 04:46 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Quote:

But I had eggs, potatoes and a biscuit for breakfast and my tummy started to get uncomfortable. Was it the buttermilk in the biscuit? The little bit of butter? The paprika in the potatoes? Or...the eggs.

OMG!! Just reading this made my tummy churn! And no, it wasn't the paprika! Biscuits are WAY high in fat, not to mention the dairy in them! (Way sad, I know! I love biscuits.) Add the egg yolks on top of them (I'm assuming since you didn't say egg whites) and you got yourself one big fat-bomb.
SOME fat is needed, but this meal would have me running to the bathroom all day, no doubt.

HTH. Keep trying,
Myra

PS Check the fat in your egg rolls, too. I think they might be high as well.

--------------------
IBS-D

A nutritionist told me... new
      #201572 - 08/01/05 08:41 PM
Digby

Evidently you need fat to help digest protein. I was eating low-fat everything, plus with the D, I'm looking anorexic from the weight loss.

Not only Dr. Weil new
      #201585 - 08/01/05 08:49 PM
Digby

I like Dr. Weil because he's not strictly a Western medicine doctor. I'm a big believer in alternative medicine. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but have heard about the fat issue from nutritionists and other doctors as well (not just Weil). For me, a low fat diet is unhealthy. Fried foods, however, are definately a no-no. For me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1695

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review