All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When is the best time of the day to take probiotics?
      #200169 - 07/27/05 06:10 PM
Cher022

Reged: 02/12/05

I just received my Natrol BioBeads in the mail today, and I'm not sure when to take them. The box says 1 per day but it does not tell when would be the best time. I have never taken a probiotic before. I was told to take them because of the antibiotics I was taking but I had to stop the antibiotics because of the severe diarreha that they caused.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When is the best time of the day to take probiotics? new
      #200213 - 07/27/05 08:35 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Cheryl,

First of all, you are never supposed to stop a cycle of antibiotics prematurely. This just makes those pesky bacteria stronger! You might check with your doctor about this.

Second, I believe most people recommend taking a probiotic on an empty stomach--typically right before bed. You could do a search of the boards to verify that.

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#200236 - 07/27/05 09:57 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

From what I've read it's best to take a probiotic before but with a meal, i.e. take your probiotic right before your first bite. This gets it straight to the intestines and because there's food there the sensitive bacteria doesn't get neutralized by the stomach acid. I take mine right before breakfast, but I don't think there's necessarily a 'right' time of day to take them. I know that some probiotics have different directions on teh package though, such as taking them before bed. Whole Health MD has a pretty good page on probiotics (just click on that and search for 'probiotics' in the search box). HTH!

#200258 - 07/28/05 05:21 AM
Cher022

Reged: 02/12/05

Thanks for the replies. I called the doctor and he told me to stop the antibiotics because of the diarrhea, they said that I had probably taken enough, I thought maybe they would switch me to something else, but thats what he said. I plan on calling the company today and see what their recommendation is and I'll respond with their response.
Thanks!
Cheryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review