All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How many colonoscopies are necessary???
      #200126 - 07/27/05 04:03 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

OK, so, I really hated the old GI I went to. He did a colonoscopy last August and basically found nothing. I just went to a new GI today. I haven't decided yet if I like him or not, but he asked a ton of questions and made me realize how little my first GI had actually cared about my condition.

Anyway, even though the colonoscopy last year showed nothing, I have had blood in my stool several times since then. The GI said he thinks that I do have IBS, but he says he still wants to do another colonoscopy. UGH!

How many colonoscopies have you guys had? Was it just one-and-done? Did your GI say that you need to have them done every X years?

Also, when I got my bloodwork done a year ago, they just took one vial. He mentioned "a few tests", for which they took FIVE vials! I didn't even think there were that many tests out there! Did they suck that much blood out of everyone else?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Doctors are so different... new
      #200129 - 07/27/05 04:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Last year, when I was diagnosed, my doctor at the time took one vial of blood, and that was without any fasting beforehand. This year, with my NEW doctor, I had to fast and they took 4 vials of blood. Personally, I trust the new doctor over the old one... I'm sure that what your doctor is doing is a complete workup, which is what mine did, rather than testing for a handful of things.

As for the colonoscopy, I really have no idea, as I've never had one! But my father has diverticulitis (I know, not the same thing, but still) and I know he does have to go for a colonoscopy every X number of years, just to follow up.

It makes sense to me that your new GI wants to do it over again, since it's pretty obvious that your old GI didn't give 2 sh*ts about your condition. On the other hand, blood in the stool is fairly serious and I'm sure he just wants to check that out if you're still having it.

I know... not pleasant, though.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review