All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A really quick *stupid* question
      #200108 - 07/27/05 03:08 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

In a lot of the recipes with zucchini, I see that it says "grated zucchini". What does it mean to "grate" the zucchine. Thanks, and no laughing please

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A really quick *stupid* question new
      #200111 - 07/27/05 03:18 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I am giggling because I thought only my sister asked questions like that. But grate means shredded like they often do to cheese. I hope that clears it up for you.

#200113 - 07/27/05 03:20 PM
crew

Well if it counts for anything, thats what i thought it meant!!! Will a potato peeler work fine for this?

Thank yoou!

#200116 - 07/27/05 03:24 PM
angela3

Well, really a cheese grater would work best, because you want the zuchinni to be in tiny little chopped up pieces for recipes such as the zuchini bread. I think a potatoe peeler would make too long of strips. A grater has tiny little holes with sharpened edges, and that would work best. If you had the time, you could just chop it up very fine with a sharp knife.

I am not really laughing at you, but it does remind me of my sister who knows nothing in the kitchen......I think she can make toast and microwave frozen dinners.

#200118 - 07/27/05 03:29 PM
crew

Hahaha .. well I can do a little bit more than toast ... but only with the help of IBS message boarders!

Thanks for your help!!

#200119 - 07/27/05 03:31 PM
angela3

we are here to help and no question is every too stupid for our message boards.

good luck!

I thought this was really cute... new
      #200632 - 07/28/05 05:29 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

You reminded me of my daughter, she'll call every once and a while and ask something like that and I find it adorable. We won't learn to cook unless we ask questions.... By using my cooking for IBS book, I actually had to look up on line what a lemon zest was. Wouldn't probably be so odd, except that I LOVE to cook and am 40 years old. My husband got a real kick out of it..HAHAHA. don't worry, I'm not laughing at you, just appreciating the reminder of my "little(21 yrs old) girl". I miss her terribly, she's in San Antonio in the AF. Anyway, thanks so much! Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: I thought this was really cute... new
      #200766 - 07/29/05 07:24 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i do the same thing. "mom, how long do i steam string beans?" "how do i bake a potato?" she's been really cute since the ibs thing, buying me acidophilus (sp?) and health food bread whenever i see her, things i can't really afford myself.

tackling the zucchini bread this weekend, myself. my mother brought be some zucchini from her garden - seems a shame to grate it and hide it in bread, but i don't like it any other way.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Zucchini bread new
      #200767 - 07/29/05 07:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I love Heather's Zucchini Bread - and it freezes really well, too. Enjoy!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#200769 - 07/29/05 07:35 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Don't feel bad. My sister once called from Scotland to ask my Mom in Michigan how to cook chicken.

#200772 - 07/29/05 07:42 AM
crew

HAHAHA .. even after asking what "grating" meant ... I ended up making my boyfriend do it b/c I didn't want to mess it up. Its funny b/c I'm not that up on the "cooking" lingo, and I ALWAYS think that once I'm finished cooking a meal, its going to either be completely ruined, or completely disgusting. And it always turns out awesome!! Of course, all of the praise goes to the actual recipe .. but its nice to see that I can at least put it all together! And now .. I'm totally hooked on cooking!

Anyway, thanks for my lesson on grating zucchini!!!

yes it is the best- can't stop at one slice!!!- nt new
      #200796 - 07/29/05 08:50 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#200821 - 07/29/05 10:06 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Like I said, I'm 40 and I still call my mom to ask about things occasionally, even though she knows I can cook circles around her. She loves it! And I can totally understand about the zukes, I'm not a fan of it either, but love it in bread. Think of it this way, at least you're getting a veggie in your system.

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 446 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1523

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review