All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help with SF foods...........And a dog with IBS
      #199240 - 07/25/05 04:11 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi all, I have a question, I have been doing so well, but the only thing I have noticed, I'm just not hungry, I have never been a 3 meal a day person and I don't consume too much at one sitting, but eating every 2/3 hours, even pretzels and rice cakes, etc. fills me up so that I'm not hungry for the important stuff that has the most fiber I need, my question what SF food have a lot of SF in them, that I could possibly get bigger amounts of SF with my major meals. It's a struggle for me to get to 20gms a day. I still have been adding it very slowly, but by the end of the day with what I have eatin, I'm stuff and can't eat anymore. Typical day
I take 12 citrucel fibers, 4 am, 4 afternoon, 4 pm
oatmeal/cheerios/safe cereal,etc.
pretzels, graham crackers, soy crisps
applesauce or banana, or a safe fruit
toast with sf usually 1 piece
pasta, rice or potato for dinner with grilled chicken breast, or white turkey, and usually applesauce or other sf vegies, carrrots or sweet potatoes, progresso soup.........so I need higher SF foods so I can get my fiber in. I also drink 3 bottled waters a day and usually 2 glasses of tea.

Also, just a little funny, my brother's dog has IBS-D and has had it for 2 years and they have spent over $3,000 on her taking her to the best vets, and my sister-in-law stopped by a new pet store to look for another food that was recommended for the dog and the man who worked in the store said he has the same kind of dog, with IBS-D and he was told to give the dog two cups of pumpkin a day. They have been doing this for 3 weeks and she has been D free.........gosh, only to be a dog and that lucky!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My old dog had IBS... new
      #199328 - 07/26/05 12:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...from some other health issues. He was on this diet tho! No red meat, no dairy, low in fat, low residue, etc.

And whenever Archie gets sick he goes on the BTC diet. It's actually what vets recommend for after dogs have been sick, but they dn't know why it's good!

What's wrong with your SF intake? That sounds good. Not much IF, but as you're only just starting to stabilise, that might be safest. How big are those bottles of water?

Linz.....My SF intake new
      #199338 - 07/26/05 04:51 AM
LtDanFan

Just wanted to clarify that I don't eat all that stuff in one day, it was just examples of things I do eat, for each meal. My water bottles are 20 ounces, so I'm getting 60 just water and usually 2 10 ounce teas. Also, are bagels SF or ISF?? I do watch very careful the ones I do buy, no diary, HFCS, eggs, no all wheat, etc.
Maybe we need to come up with a High SF food list?! I guess I was just worried that I can't seem to get more than 16-18 gms of fiber a day, and I know we are supposed to try to get 25? Any suggestions, from anyone??

I have been 4 weeks attack free and this is the longest in my life I have ever gone, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, after I pass the 4 weeks mark, I want to introduce ISF foods, but slowly, any suggestions on what I should try first, I don't eat salads, peppers, onions. I love cukes, but peeled and de-seeded. I only like really ripe fruit and if I eat a peach, I peel it, I've never liked skins. Suggestions would be appreciated!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Edited by cjc (07/26/05 04:53 AM)

Re: Linz.....My SF intake new
      #199389 - 07/26/05 08:24 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm a little confused. I don't think there's a magic number for the total amount of SF we should get. In Heather's SFS FAQ page, she recommends at least 12-15 grams of SF from an SFS. I'd focus on trying to increase my fiber from SFS to that level and beyond that just concentrate on eating SF first and eating as much SF as you are IF.

As for introducing IF, if you take a look at Heather's Break The Cycle page, she has some suggestions for introducing non-SF foods. If you're D, remember to be careful of fat, too. I tolerate IF (except whole wheat) better than I tolerate fat.

I did a long post a while back about what was SF and what was IF. Maybe you'd find that useful. Here's the link.

I hope some of this helps. It's great you're doing so well.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand, excellent post link! new
      #199404 - 07/26/05 08:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I missed that the first time. You are so great to put so much energy and time into putting everything into a concise and understandable format.

Big hugs for you, Sand!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pumpkin for D? new
      #199406 - 07/26/05 08:47 AM
Augie

I wonder if this is true for humans as well. I eat pumpkin like every other day....and maybe it's one of the reasons I'm so constipated!

I'm going to try laying off the pumkin for a week or so. Has anyone else had this experience with pumpkin?

--------------------
~ Beth

Well squashes are a good source of SF... new
      #199428 - 07/26/05 09:42 AM
Linz

...so I'd guess that's why. All our vets have said white rice and dry white toast, with a little chicken breast meat, when our dogs have been ill. So BTC diet!

I'm confused new
      #199444 - 07/26/05 10:17 AM
Augie

I didn't think SF could cause constipation...or the "binding" effect for diarrhea. I thought it was just the IF factor (not enough IF for C folks and too much for D folks), that had an effect on constipation and diarrhea.

I eat either a "squash type" soup or pumpkin every day in some form because it is so yummy. Shouldn't this be okay if I still get some IF from fruits/flax/IF veggies also?

I thought it was the pumpkin specifically.

What do you think? Avoid my daily squash now since I am Constipated?

Thanks!

And yeah, I've seen dog food with white rice in it for dogs with IBS-D

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks, Beth new
      #199468 - 07/26/05 11:31 AM
Sand

I actually find that I learn more by trying to explain things to other people than I do if I just let the ideas rattle around in my own head, so I can't claim a totally selfless motive. But I am always really glad to hear that something I've said (written?) has helped someone else.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I'm confused new
      #199472 - 07/26/05 11:40 AM
Sand

Okay, if I understand what you're asking, this is an interesting question:

Insoluble Fiber tells your gut to have a bowel movement.
Soluble Fiber does not tell your gut to have a bowel movement.

But the question is, does Soluble Fiber actually tell your gut NOT to have a bowel movement?

I don't think so, but I couldn't swear to it. That is, I think stuff like white rice and pumpkin and the BRAT diet are recommended for diarrhea because they do not contain Insoluble Fiber, rather than because they do contain Soluble Fiber. So I'd say, keep up the pumpkin/squash because the SF is good and just add more IF.

Anyone else?

--------------------

Heather, are you out there? new
      #199484 - 07/26/05 12:15 PM
Augie

This is exactly what I was trying to spit out, Sand!

This is what I am confused about. Anyone with the answer? Heather, are you out there?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks, Beth & Sand new
      #199492 - 07/26/05 12:27 PM
LtDanFan

That clears a lot of stuff up, I was under the impression, even though I have read and re-read Heather's book and this board that I should be eating 20gm or more SF a day.....not 12-15 of the SFS. Now I get it, I think I may try the Acacia. Instead of on the board if people would like to e-mail me with their comments about the pros and cons by personal experience with Acacia I'd appreciate it, I am IBS-D. Your links were very helpful!!! Oh, One last thing, I eat very, very little fat. I just found Back to Nature apple cinnamon granola, safe ingredients, low fat, high fiber, I'm excited, I love granola!!!

--------------------

Edited by cjc (07/26/05 12:47 PM)

Re: I'm confused new
      #199514 - 07/26/05 01:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It is my understanding that sf adds "bulk" to the bm. IF gives you more momentum or wave/pulse to get you moving. It also helps lubricate the bm.

SF etc new
      #199531 - 07/26/05 02:04 PM
Linz

Reread the Soluble vs Insoluble fibre page! SF works for both C and D (it's great for stopping the cramps which perpetuate the D), but C's in particular need IF as well. NOT instead of.

Yes, Linz is right new
      #199624 - 07/26/05 05:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Pumpkin is high in soluble fiber - great for D and C both. Soluble fiber regulates muscle contractions in the gut (returning both high and low motility from IBS back to a normal point) and it regulates water content in the gut as well.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Linz and Heather!-nt new
      #199657 - 07/26/05 06:44 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2986 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review