All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can someone check this?
      #199128 - 07/25/05 12:18 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

Breaking the cycle: Starting mid-next week.
Im trying to see if these foods are fine for the first 3 days:
-skinless baked potato (cooked with skin on? Yes or no?)
-arrowroot crackers
-tetley's peppermint herbal tea
-honeycombs cereal
-quaker rolled oats
-white rice

Are these foods safe for the first days?
And then after the 3 days, I move on to the recipes. Correct?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can someone check this? new
      #199135 - 07/25/05 12:35 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you want to do Heather's Break The Cycle Diet, then you are restricted to the foods on her soluble fiber list plus an SFS plus herbal teas (and water, of course). That does not include arrowroot crackers or honeycomb cereal. It does include potatoes (you can cook the potato with the skin on or off, but don't eat the skin), white rice and oatmeal.

If you want to eat based on Heather's What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything Diet, then arrowroot crackers and honeycomb cereal are both on the list, but I would still check the ingredient lists on them carefully: formulations change and different brands have different ingredients. Potatoes, plain white rice, and oatmeal are not on this list.

Peppermint tea (any brand) is on both Diets.

The BTC Diet has no foods with additives and is all pretty much pure soluble fiber, so that's the one I would choose if I were just starting out. After no more than 3 days on the BTC Diet, you can start adding in IF, fat, and safe protein slowly and cautiously. In the Break The Cycle link I gave you above, Heather has some suggestions for beginning to expand your menu.

The WTEWYCEA Diet has some processed foods on it but, if I remember my high school biology correctly, is pretty much the soluble fiber foods that are almost digested by saliva. That may mean that the WTEWYCEA Diet foods don't require your stomach and small intestine to do much work at all. I'd pick this one if I'd been on the diet for a while and my IBS flared up and no matter what I ate it seemed to make me worse.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (07/25/05 01:10 PM)

Re: Can someone check this? new
      #199142 - 07/25/05 12:46 PM
Lucrece

Thank you very much, Sand. Very important information that I actually wasn't aware of. I didn't think there were actually different types of beginning diets. I need to choose one. Does oatmeal fall into all of these?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Supplement new
      #199149 - 07/25/05 12:59 PM
Lucrece

Nevermind, I just found out that oatmeal's included in the BTC diet.
Do you have any advice on SFS? I don't know anything about them.

--------------------
IBS-C

Oops, correction new
      #199152 - 07/25/05 01:07 PM
Sand

I double-checked. Potatoes are not on the What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything Diet. Neither is rice, interestingly enough, although rice pudding and rice porridge soup are. I've edited my original response to reflect this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#199155 - 07/25/05 01:15 PM
Sand

I take Heather's Acacia and love it. You can read about SFS on Heather's SFS FAQ page. Whichever one you choose, be sure to start at a low dose and work your way up. I started with 1/4 teaspoon of acacia a day for 3 days, then increased by 1/4 teaspoon per day every 3 days.

I also suggest you read through Heather's Website outside the message boards. That's where Heather explains how her diet works - you really can't get the whole picture just from the Boards.

HTH.

--------------------

hmm now I am kind of confused new
      #199179 - 07/25/05 01:46 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

What is the difference between the BTC diet and the WTEWYCEA diet? Are they for two different situations?

-Chelsea

Re: hmm now I am kind of confused new
      #199227 - 07/25/05 02:52 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

BTC is when you first start or in a vicious cycle of attacks after you stabalize.

The other I use for a bad day or when I _KNOW_ I'll be in a tough tummy time (IE: right before my period).

HTH.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#200599 - 07/28/05 03:53 PM
Lucrece

Thanks!!! Im thinking about choosing benefiber. I hope you can purchase it in this little town.
And Im also going with the BTC diet. I'll start it once I get my licence. I'll be sure and keep you posted.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 858

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review