All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
strange behavior
      #198212 - 07/21/05 10:57 AM
stauffec

Reged: 11/29/04

well...i posted a couple days because i was afraid i was going in to a normal/ibs-c instead of ibs-d...now i have this weird effect where i feel great..but if i decide to go to the bathroom...and i do have a BM, i then have like this cramping in my abdomen for about an hour...no urgency...just terrible cramping...then it goes away...i've had it for the past 48 hours...anyone know what i might need to add to my diet...i don't know if I'm constipated, i never have been before

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Cristopher in New York

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: strange behavior new
      #198259 - 07/21/05 01:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Generally speaking, you'll know if you're constipated... you'll feel "full", like your intestines are packed full of concrete.

So the cramping is happening after a BM? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. That used to happen to me all the time. I found that strong hot peppermint tea alleviated the cramping. Also, make sure you're following the diet guidelines properly - lots of soluble fiber foods. I found that when I wasn't eating enough in general, or wasn't eating enough SF, the cramping was worse.

Hope you feel better soon!

#198270 - 07/21/05 02:14 PM
stauffec

Reged: 11/29/04

basically my normal day to day operation used to be i was completely normal, except i'd suddenly get terrible D for a period, feel miserable afterwards...and repeat over and over...so i started the diet..which has totally gotten rid of the urgency and 'mania' part of it. Its great...but for some reason i'm also getting tough cramping after a BM...like its mad that it has to start moving stuff again...i haven't started on SFS, which i should get in the mail in the next couple days..once i get that i think i'll get more regular..right now i'm just relying on lots of food with SF (i'm eating sourdough and chicken noodle soup right now

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Cristopher in New York

#198367 - 07/21/05 07:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Sorry to be the bearer of possibly bad tidings, but some posters report problems with sourdough, for reasons that aren't entirely clear. Here's a recent thread that discusses it. I avoid sourdough because all the store-bought ones I see have a little whole wheat flour in them and my tummy reacts badly to even a little whole wheat.

Also, if you're eating canned chicken noodle soup, be sure to check the ingredient list, especially for MSG, HFCS, and dairy proteins (whey, maybe?) and the percent of calories from fat.

Pre-Heather I would get cramping after bowel movements, but for me it just meant there was another one coming along, so I'm not sure what to make of your kind of cramping. From your description, it sounds like you used to repeat BMs over and over during an attack, so maybe the cramping is what's left of that pattern. I mean, your repeated BMs were presumably colon spasms, so maybe the cramping means your gut is still spasming, just not badly enough to "go". Whatever the explanation, SFS has made a big difference for me, so I hope it does the same for you.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198543 - 07/22/05 09:54 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I used to get these as well after having a D attack. I never understood why I would feel worse after the BM! I think, as the others mentioned, it's just your colon spasming.

Taking an SFS helps as a long term treatment since it regulates and soothes the digestive tract. For immediate relief, I find using a heating pad and drinking peppermint tea works well. Also, if you take Imodium that could be causing some of the pain since one of its side effects is abdominal cramping. Take care!

#198545 - 07/22/05 09:59 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oooh, this sounds familiar! I've been through the same thing. Starting a SFS (and ramping it up to a decent dosage) and making sure I get some IF has helped a lot.

Peppermint tea and making sure that you're drinking all the time also helps.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 599

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review