All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Oaty Bites and Shredded Oats cereal-safe?
      #197752 - 07/20/05 12:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi all. I've been trying some non-GF cereals and gluten ingredients have become foreign to me! Can you guys give me your opinion of if either of these cereals, or both, are safe as snack foods without a SF buffer?

Nature's Path Oaty Bites:Organic Whole Oat Flour, organic brown rice flour, organic evaporated cane juice, organic yellow corn flour, organic corn meal, organic barley malt, sea salt, natural flavors. 2 grams total fiber (not separated into SF and IF)

Babaras's Shredded Oats:Whole Oat Fiber Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Unsulphured Molasses Malted Barley Extract, baking soda, salt, natural vitamin e, vit C 5 grams total fiber per 1 1/4 cup (2 oz,,,so about 2 servings) 2 grams soluble and 3 grams insoluble.

I was going to get the Barbara's Shredded spoonfuls because it was listed on the safe snacks here safe snacks but after looking at the website and ingredients, it appears that there is a higher percentage of insoluble in the Shredded poonfuls than the Shredded Oats. So I bought the Shredded Oats instead thinking it would be safer.

Also, Puffins cereals are listed as a snack, but they contain about 6 grams fiber in them and they have corn bran. Is this okay? The fiber grams are probably all from the corn which is SF, but corn bran is iffy isn't it?

Puffins original and http://www.barbarasbakery.com/products/cerealproddisplay.asp?product=61&category=20

Thanks for feedback on these snack cereals? which one(s) are safe?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oaty Bites and Shredded Oats cereal-safe? new
      #197767 - 07/20/05 12:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Darnit woman, why don't you buy something simple like Crispix or Honeycomb?

Um... let's see. I'd say the Oaty Bites are perfectly safe, for starters. The shredded oats might be a little high in insoluble for a snack alone, but I'm not sure, so wait and see what others say about it. Ditto for the Puffins. If they're both on the safe snacks list, they're there for a reason. Since people have different tolerances to grain IF, you might have to just give them a try and see how you do.

#197781 - 07/20/05 01:06 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

Nature's Path Oaty Bites:Organic Whole Oat Flour, organic brown rice flour, organic evaporated cane juice, organic yellow corn flour, organic corn meal, organic barley malt, sea salt, natural flavors. 2 grams total fiber (not separated into SF and IF)

Mmm.. I'm going to go try to find these now! They look safe to me.

Quote:

Babaras's Shredded Oats:Whole Oat Fiber Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Unsulphured Molasses Malted Barley Extract, baking soda, salt, natural vitamin e, vit C 5 grams total fiber per 1 1/4 cup (2 oz,,,so about 2 servings) 2 grams soluble and 3 grams insoluble.

These have whole wheat flour in them.. so it depends how you do with whole wheat stuff. I can't handle it so these would be a no-no for me.

Quote:

Also, Puffins cereals are listed as a snack, but they contain about 6 grams fiber in them and they have corn bran. Is this okay? The fiber grams are probably all from the corn which is SF, but corn bran is iffy isn't it?

Okay, I'm "iffy" on these right now. They are really yummy with vanilla rice milk, and I was even having them for dinner sometimes! But then I had a really nasty 3 hour attack one morning after finishing a bowl.. so either it was something else or I can't have so much of them. This may not apply to you, but thought I'd warn ya.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#197787 - 07/20/05 01:11 PM
Augie

Well, the percentage of IF to SF is actually lower in the Shredded Oats (3:2) than the Shredded Spoonfuls (3:1). But the Shredded Spoonfuls is the one listed on the snack list.

And the Puffins one is a mystery!

I guess I'll just eat the Oat one until someone gives some feedback.

Thanks Casey! Oh, I didn't get Crispex because I was trying to get something more fibrous...but safe fiber since... I'm a C I thouth it would help maybe!

--------------------
~ Beth

I would think the Shredded Oats would be okay? new
      #197983 - 07/20/05 07:18 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Since there is almost as much SF as IF in the cereal (2 grams SF and 3 grams IF). Cheerios has 2 grams of IF and one gram of SF and this cereal is considered safe.

#198014 - 07/20/05 08:26 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I eat barbaras shredded oats like its going out of style.

they are YUMMY and I've never had a problem.

--------------------

Thanks for your feedback new
      #198114 - 07/21/05 08:06 AM
Augie

That's good that the whole wheat doesn't bother you. Are you usually able to eat wheat? Like wheat bread? Do you handle other whole grains as well? Maybe you have a higher tolerance for whole grains? If not, this cereal should be safe, yay! And if it is yummy, all the better!

It's weird that this cereal is the one with whole wheat but it's the one with the higher SF to IF ratio.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks for your feedback new
      #198128 - 07/21/05 08:25 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

funny that you asked that! I actually don't generally handle whole wheat all that fabulously.

i've had whole grain wheat bread before that has sent me straight to the toilet. However, the cereal really doens't effect me like that at all. So perhaps its not a ton of whole wheat in each bite?I'm not sure, but i'm not gonna question it. I'll just keep eating it.

--------------------

Cool! new
      #198132 - 07/21/05 08:32 AM
Augie

I'm gonna try it then! Whoo Hoo! Thanks again Ashley!

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh, Ashley, forgot to ask you... new
      #198189 - 07/21/05 09:54 AM
Augie

Do you eat this as a snack alone, or do you need to eat a SF source before hand?

Sorry, I just thought of that technicality!

Thanks again!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5521 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2258

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review