All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
lots of good feedback
      #197164 - 07/19/05 08:37 AM
stauffec

Reged: 11/29/04

so after 15 years of IBS (I'm now 25), and countless tests, and medz, and tests, and shrinks...i've finally gone out a week ago and got heather's books on diet and the 'first year' (even though its my 15th)...and i must say i'm the best i have ever felt after about a week...i actually went out for a run in the neighborhood (instead of on the treadmill)...the only area I think i need to work out is I am usually IBS-D, and the diet is making me borderline normal/constipated..and i'm trying to make sure I don't fall into the latter...any tips on foods i can work with to add regularity...i have never been a fan of canned fiber..so i've just been sticking with:

white breads,white flour wrap, oatmeal
soy milk/yogurt
chicken, tuna, turkey
bananas, strawberries (in a shake)
graham crackers, crackers, humus
egg whites, salsa

i haven't found easy vegetable to work into it though..that may help me...anyone have good veggie tips (for lunches and dinners), that will keep me centered? Is it too early for me to start playing around with the diet...maybe my body will readjust without anything additional...

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Cristopher in New York

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: lots of good feedback new
      #197207 - 07/19/05 09:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's possible your body will adjust, but you're getting very little fat and very little IF, so for health reasons if nothing else, I'd suggest expanding your food selections.

For me, your diet would be low in fat, so maybe adding some of that would help. Be cautious - I can tolerate a fair amount of fat, but for some D's, it's a terrible trigger. And even I have trouble with it first thing in the morning.

You could try adding some SF veggies - carrots, potatoes, zucchini. If you eat some of the peel, you'll get a little IF. It might be a way to cautiously add just a tiny bit of IF. Ditto, peeled, relatively safe fruit, like apples and peaches.

Some of Heather's appetizers are great for lunch - Guacamole, White Bean and Almond Dip, Eggplant Hummus. There's an Artichoke Hummus on the Recipe Index that's yummy and very easy. Heather's Italian Lemon Tuna Sandwich is great and you get some IF and a little fat.

I did very well with a couple of Heather's breads even early in the diet - her Zucchini Bread and her Pumpkin Apple Spice bread. They have some IF from the veggies and fruit, but it's well-wrapped in SF, chopped, and cooked. The Zucchini Bread gets 26% of its calories from fat and the Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread gets 30% of its calories from fat, so I'd say not on an empty stomach, but perhaps try a slice as second breakfast, afternoon snack (as long as you're not too hungry), or even dessert.

You can cruise the Recipe Index for recipes that are heavy on SF, but incorporate some IF. Kree's CrockPot Chicken Stew was wonderful for me even early on. There are some pasta salads that include veggies and/or fruits.

As for "canned fiber", I do truly believe using an SFS was key to my stability. If you're doing fine without one, that's great, but tuck the thought away in the back of your mind, just in case ...

HTH. And congratulations on doing so well so quickly.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Need to find some veggies/fruits to add here. new
      #197279 - 07/19/05 10:49 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

You will get C if there are no insoluables added. Try the fruit smoothies so loved here on the site, or very cooked veggies (squashes - yellow, zuchinni, eggplant have always been good for me). I am not a D, but from the C standpoint, I can tell you, fruits and veggies are a MUST to keep things moving!

Glad to see you have been so well-helped by the site! It is an amazing place!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3049 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 351

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review