All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What to eat?
      #196540 - 07/17/05 09:54 AM
tonnie1978

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: SC & CA

I have a dietician.. and I am supposed to be on a bland diet but some of the things she has listed are IF and not just SF. So, while I try to figure out what my trigger foods are, what should I start off with?
What should I eat or did you eat for each meal and snack when you began?
I don't like any kind of meat.. except red meat, so I will have to get my protein from other products. And I am unsure if I can have soy milk. I am going to wait to try that again later.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
TONYA

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat? new
      #196584 - 07/17/05 03:27 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Check the "Breaking the Cycle Diet" section of the site, aka "What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything."

Things that were safe for me right off the bat include plain white rice, plain oatmeal, plain chicken, and apple sauce. Of course, your milage may vary. Good luck!

Re: What to eat? new
      #196756 - 07/18/05 10:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

See, this is why I thought the dietician might be a problem.

To be honest, if I were you, I'd save my money and just do Heather's diet.

I agree with Linz ... new
      #196765 - 07/18/05 10:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I truly believe you have to pick just one guru and try her method full out. If I try to mix and match, I end up either eating nothing (because somebody somewhere is going to say it's bad) or - my personal favorite - eating everything (because somebody somewhere is going to say it's good). Like Linz, I'd vote for trying Heather first, both because she's free and because she's really worked for me.

If you want to do Heather's thing, you can try starting with the Break The Cycle diet, then add protein and IF safely from there. As for your only liking red meat, if you like seafood there are seafood recipes in EFI and on the Recipe Index. There are also vegetarian recipes in both places. And there are some recipes that use ground turkey or ground chicken in recipes that mimic ground beef recipes, like ShellMarr's meatloaf and Kree's Peking Chicken Burgers (I just discovered these and the flavor is as "rich" as beef burgers).

HTH. If you have questions, please ask. And good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I agree with Linz ... new
      #197169 - 07/19/05 08:38 AM
tonnie1978

I am all for Heather's way. I even brought the cheat sheet in... But here is my confusion and the reason why I went to the dietician.
When I do incorporate IF in my diet, how do I eat? And what should the portion size be?
Since it is a high carb low fat diet, and I love my carbs, how do I balance the rice with the veggies, etc??? Do I eat the rice, SF, first and then eat the IF or do I wait or can I mix them? That is the main thing I wanted answered.
Plus, once I figure out what my trigger foods are, how do I get protein and all the things I need since I can't have dairy, red meat, etc..
Maybe I should have waited until I found my trigger foods to go to her huh?
TONYA

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

my short term take on it new
      #197189 - 07/19/05 09:06 AM
stauffec

Reged: 11/29/04

tonnie1978, i have only been on the diet for a little while, and here are some things i have noticed for me at least. It will definitely makes things better in the IBS department, however a dietician may not see it as the 'healthiest' way...for example when i went to a dietician they told me to each lots of salads to get 'fiber'...what a nightmare. Studies show that stress and anxiety is the single most contributing factor to early death...and IBS is stress to the max, as we all know. So we all owe it to ourselves to get out from underneath the shadow of IBS, because if we're all stress ridden about our day to day activity, that is going to be the contributing factor to bad health, not the fact that you grabbed a slice of 12-grain bread instead of french bread. If i have to eat oatmeal and graham crackers for breakfast instead of having whole grain cereal with blueberries, I'm going to do it, even if a dietician says otherwise. I have my own pyramid for eating now..i always start with SF, then go to my low-fat meat (chicken, tuna, etc.), and then to my carefully selected veggies....

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Cristopher in New York

one more note new
      #197191 - 07/19/05 09:10 AM
stauffec

Reged: 11/29/04

tonnie1978,

If i eat lunch, i bring an extra slice of bread that I eat first, before i eat the slices with the meat or veggies between them, or i get a pasta salad and work on that before i eat the sandwich

If I eat dinner, I just try to have approx. one serving of SF before i even look at anything else...could be bread on the table or rice or potatoes

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Cristopher in New York

Re: my short term take on it new
      #197196 - 07/19/05 09:20 AM
tonnie1978

They told you to eat Salads??? Salads are the devil, well at least for me.
My dietician is new, she isn't forcing me to eat wheat this and wheat that and other stuff like most dieticians.
She is just out of school so knows some things that the "oldies" don't. And she is trying to see what foods are my trigger food. I guess I didn't realize that I could just eat a piece of bread or some rice before I ate my meal. I didn't realize it was that easy.
So any more tips for me? I am going on a cross country ride next month and am hoping I can have a diet planned out so I can pack my own foods while my hubby and toddler eats fast food.
Thanks all! I am now begging to understand. I usually go to my book, but it is half read and I left it in CA

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

See all this can be answered here! new
      #197200 - 07/19/05 09:23 AM
Linz

In fact, it has been many times before, so trying doing a search on questions like that...and re-read the diet guidelines.

In the meantime...

Quote:

When I do incorporate IF in my diet, how do I eat? Safely by minimising the effect of the IF on your tum as much as possible - cook, puree, chop finely and always have SF first. I'd start with the extra safe IF sources like Heather's Cinnamon Zucchini BRead and then go onto well tolerated IF sources like well cooked zucchini, frozen peas (cooked of course!), fruit in smoothies, etc. But still keep it after SF.

And what should the portion size be? How much do you eat? You never want to overeat but sheer volumes vary for different people. On IF quantities, I tend to go for at least as much SF by volume as IF in a meal.

Since it is a high carb low fat diet, and I love my carbs, how do I balance the rice with the veggies, etc??? Do I eat the rice, SF, first and then eat the IF or do I wait or can I mix them? To start with, eat about half your rice on it's own first, but as you acclimatise, you can eat the (safe) veggies along with the SF. I always have a mouthful of pure rice first tho. That is the main thing I wanted answered. HTH then. Just say if I missed the point of your question.

Plus, once I figure out what my trigger foods are, how do I get protein and all the things I need since I can't have dairy, red meat, etc.. Well, there's chicken, fish, low-fat turkey, soy and tofu and TVP, other beans and veg, egg whites and Quorn. That enough for you?

Easy! new
      #197203 - 07/19/05 09:25 AM
Linz

All the diet info is also on this site - isn't Heather fab? So you can just read through it on here too. And have you printed out Heather's IBS Cheat Sheet ? It's got all the basics on one page.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review