All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Are we really lactose intolerant new
      #194275 - 07/11/05 02:00 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The IBS issue with milk isn't specifically lactose intolerance, but a larger issue of milk being difficult to digest and containing too much fat for IBS people to tolerate no matter how fat-free it is.

So whether or not you are lactose intolerant makes no difference. For most IBS people, it is best to stay away from milk. Of course, you might be lactose intolerant, but even if you aren't, you may still need to stay away from milk because of the larger overall digestion issue.

In my case, I happen to be lactose intolerant, milk protein intolerant and I am also allergic to milk. But IBS is the overriding reason I stay away from milk.

By the way, it's nice of people to try and diagnose you. I've known lots of people like this too. Basically it boils down to people not taking you seriously and thinking "it's all in your head."

I think it would do these people a world of good to walk a mile in our shoes before they unleash their ignorant judgments!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#194321 - 07/11/05 04:55 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Lana Marie,

Fortunately I am one of the lucky few that can have small amounts of dairy if I take a lactaid pill first. So, I guess you could say I'm lactose intolerant and have IBS, too. Actually, I had the lactose intolerance problem way before the IBS.

Barbie

--------------------

I'm not lactose intolerant either.... new
      #194366 - 07/11/05 06:50 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

They tested me when I had my gastroscopy along with my CD test and apparantly I have all the enzymes needed to digest milk properly. So I think milk and IBS just don't mix.

--------------------
Amy

#194386 - 07/11/05 07:57 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've been milk protein allergic since birth. I am lactose-intolerant, and casein allergic, whey allergic. Milk is deadly for me and causes a nightmare of pain and more than gi sickness.

I think, though, for IBS-C, milk can constipate even if lactose-intolerance is not an issue. Milk is a huge trigger.

#194437 - 07/12/05 12:01 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I agree with everything everyone has said here. You can have IBS AND Lactose-intolerance. I found once I got real and got off dairy 100% that my symptoms subsided quite a bit. Unfortunately, I still have D almost every day, even with the IBS diet. The gas is (thankfully) gone, and I do feel a lot better, but I'm taking gluten out of my diet to see if that might be causing upset to my gut too.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2188

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review