All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Am I dumb, or what?! And help with acacia, please...
      #191062 - 07/02/05 10:33 AM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

Hi, all,

I haven't been on the board for a while...Things were going great. I even went to New Orleans for a week, was careful about what I ate, and felt wonderful. But a few weeks ago, I suddenly started bloating again...I blew up like a balloon. I had had almost no bloating since starting on acacia and the IBS diet in Feb. (I'm an A, pretty evenly divided between C and D - what a joy - , with insoluble fiber and dairy the things that give me the most trouble.)

This morning, I read some of the more recent things on this board about acacia...And, YIKES! I realized I have been taking a HUGE dose. I thought 4.5g in a scant tablespoon meant there are 1.5g -not 2.5g- in a level teaspoon. Duh!!! So, I've been taking 20g (I thought it was 12) for months, and even upped it to 25g (I thought it was 15) after I started bloating.

So, after reading posts here today, I'm pretty sure my dose of acacia is causing the bloating. But why would I suddenly not tolerate a dose that had been working for me for months (even if it was a mistake)? And, should I back it off gradually or, since I'm taking so much, should I cut back to 12 or 15g fairly quickly?

Thanks for your help!

-Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Am I dumb, or what?! And help with acacia, please... new
      #191083 - 07/02/05 01:40 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you were fine on the 20g/25g dose for months, I'd go with it being the weather or something - has it been hot and humid for you? You might want to ease back on the Acacia to see if that helps tho...maybe drop down to 17.5g a day?

I usually take 15g a day and do fine with that. I tried upping my dose to 20g, did fine IBS-wise (and it helped) but kept on forgetting my midday dose so I gave up on it.

Re: Am I dumb, or what?! And help with acacia, please... new
      #191091 - 07/02/05 02:40 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

This morning, I read some of the more recent things on this board about acacia...And, YIKES! I realized I have been taking a HUGE dose. I thought 4.5g in a scant tablespoon meant there are 1.5g -not 2.5g- in a level teaspoon. Duh!!! So, I've been taking 20g (I thought it was 12) for months, and even upped it to 25g (I thought it was 15) after I started bloating.

You're not dumb. If there are 4.5 grams of fiber in a Tablespoon, then there are 1.5 grams in a teaspoon. If there are 7.5 grams in a level measuring Tablespoon, then in order to have only 4.5 grams in a "scant" Tablespoon, you're actually talking about less than 2 teaspoons in your "scant" Tablespoon. To me that's not just scant, it's downright stingy.

As for the bloating, I agree with Linz - it's probably something else. Considering how miserable the weather in New Jersey has been, I'd imagine Linz is also right about the heat and humidity in Virginia. You might try going back to your 20 gram dose if that was working for you pre-bloating. (I'm IBS-D and I take 20 grams a day - got there by mistake, like you did - but it works for me, so I'm not going to change it.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 565 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 422

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review