All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight gain ideas for IBS-C/B/P and gastritis....
      #189169 - 06/26/05 03:40 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

This latest flare up of my gastritis has already dropped 7 lbs off me. That is very discouraging!! Just 2 Sundays ago at church a friend told me she was so glad to see me feeling better after having my ovary embolization (took away SOOO much pain) and she said (genuinely nicely) "And you're looking so healthy and nice, too" and I know that she was referring to my weight. I don't want to be dropping again!!

The gastritis is just awful and I need a stronger med, for sure. Anything acid-y or strong just burns like a hot poker going straight through the middle of me. But oatmeal and cantaloupe aren't exactly weight gain foods.

Thanks for ideas, guys...

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight gain ideas for IBS-C/B/P and gastritis.... new
      #189171 - 06/26/05 04:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well sugar should be okay, shouldn't it? How about loading up on Heather's breads and ADBs. And pasta/rice should also be fine, so eat alot of that with some safe protein.

Also, how about a soy protein shake? I find soy milk very calming for an acidic stomach.

Are you tracking your cals at all? It might be worth it until your weight stabilises...some days it's all too easy to unintentionally starve yourself!

Re: Weight gain ideas for IBS-C/B/P and gastritis.... new
      #189191 - 06/26/05 07:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't have much to add to Linz' suggestions, except some of Heather's breads and desserts are higher in fat than others, so maybe you should concentrate on those - along with or after a high SF meal, of course.

What do you take for your gastritis? (This is sheer nosiness, so feel free not to answer.)

IBS-C is Constipation; IBS-P is Pain; what's IBS-B?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks - know this is a dumb question... new
      #189281 - 06/26/05 05:11 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I mean simple answer is "eat more". But when gastritis is bad I feel VERY full after small amount of food. It is getting better today, I think. I forget about just gorging on sweets - I'm so not used to doing that, have this "healthy" frame of mind.

And I'm taking prilosec - it's not doing much. I took aciphex when I had this couple years ago, it eventually did mostly go away so I guess it worked, but insurance won't cover it anymore, said to use OTC meds. I'm going to ask about nexium???

Thanks guys...

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

How about liquids? new
      #189361 - 06/27/05 02:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do they fill you up as fast as solids? Cos you can make really calorific protein shakes.

Re: Thanks - know this is a dumb question... new
      #189381 - 06/27/05 04:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't think it's a dumb question because the real question is, "How can I gain/not lose weight by eating healthily, that is, without gorging on sweets?" Unfortunately, the answer may be that right now you can't. Maybe you could add some small sweet to each of your meals - a handful of jelly beans, for example. (This may be projection - I've had a yen for jelly beans lately.)

As for meds, when my doctor thought I had acid reflux, she put me on Protonix which is supposed to be really good. However, if your insurance won't cover it, you probably don't want to be on it - I almost fainted when I saw the cost. (I'd like to rant and rave here about insurance companies, but what can I say that hasn't been said before? Is there any kind of appeal process open to you?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 619 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 489

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review