All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Coffee Substitute
      #18734 - 08/27/03 04:04 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

At the advice of local naturopath as well as my family physician I have been drinking the coffee substitute called Caf-Lib. It is readily available here in Canada and sold in supermarkets in the coffee area.

It is made of roased malt barley, roasted barley and roasted chicory. I guess the chicory gives it's coffee taste. Of course it won't come up in level of taste with brewed coffee but looks and tastes like a better brand of instant coffee.

Neither the naturopath or family physician agreed with decaffinated coffee because of the process of manufacture.

I also tried Postum but was not overly impressed

Just wondering if others have tried it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Coffee Substitute new
      #18769 - 08/27/03 07:28 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi art; i THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE OUT AS WELL.NT

#18778 - 08/27/03 08:38 PM
ArtKen

Hi Louse, another fellow Canadian I see.

So far as Caf-Lib If a naturopath and a general physician are in agreement, which they sometimes are not then I go along with it.

I also drink herbal teas especially chamoile with honey. I don't find a couple of coffee bothers me that much but give me kernel corn or a caesar salad and that's a different matter. At moment my systems have slowed down and Im do find occasion I need a trigger food.

Had this condition for a long while and then having gall blader out last year sure didn't help it but that part seeems to have settled down.

#18863 - 08/28/03 10:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There's something similar that's made from roasted soy beans, and folks on the board have just raved about it. I can't remember the name, but do a search on roasted soy, no time restrictions, and see what pops up.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#18866 - 08/28/03 11:04 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Rocamojo, it's the best!

Rocamojo!! Thank you! -nt- new
      #18867 - 08/28/03 11:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Teccino is also good! My mom loves it! -nt- new
      #18880 - 08/28/03 11:57 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#18896 - 08/28/03 01:51 PM
ArtKen

Thanks, but it is not readily available in Canada apparently. To order from the States we now have to pay extra handling charges to Post Office as well as 7& of the retail price for our Goods and Services Tax.

Example I picked up your two books that I had ordered last week. It cost me an extra $8.10 Canadian in taxes and handling charges plus I had to go to a Post Office to pick it up as they would not deliver.

However as I can see so far the books are well worth it!

Re: Teccino is also good! My mom loves it! -nt- new
      #18898 - 08/28/03 02:24 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I just looked up both Rocamojo and Teecino on the internet. Are they both IBS safe? Does anyone have an opinion on which tastes more like coffee? Although I didn't drink coffee on a regular basis, I do miss it occasionally. I can even buy the Rocamojo close to where I live. Anyone's opinions welcomed! Thanks!

Re: Teccino is also good! My mom loves it! -nt- new
      #18920 - 08/28/03 06:00 PM
Karin

Tierny: I love the Rocamojo, try it for yourself though. It's just roasted soy beans so it's safe. It's the enzyme that bothers us in coffee and soy doesn't have it. A little tip, don't put -nt- in your title if you have a body to your post. That means there's no text to read and no one will look further than your title. I just happened to click on it by accident and found that you had actually posted something! Use nt only when you want to state something in your title with no text following.

Thanks for the advice. new
      #18957 - 08/29/03 05:42 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Karin, Thanks for the info. I knew enough about the -nt- but didn't catch it in time before I pushed 'send'. Still half-way learning about this stuff!

Re: Thanks for the advice. new
      #18977 - 08/29/03 08:23 AM
Karin

You're welcome, that's what this board is all about..........sharing!!!! Have a fun weekend! k

#18982 - 08/29/03 08:58 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I've recently read news articles that Yerba Mate is a great alternative to coffee. The tea tastes great too! I posted a link to a brand of Yerba Mate earlier...you could do a search if you're intereseted in more information.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5889 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1901

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review