All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Opinions needed on anti-depressants (m)
      #187223 - 06/19/05 07:13 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I'm mostly an IBS-D although I can fluctuate at times to A. If any of you have been on anti-depressant medication, has it helped and what was it. Did it have side effects? I'm going to my gastro doctor in a few weeks and I'm considering going on something. I am looking (aren't we all?) for something to stabilize me from day to day so my IBS isn't such an issue every day. Right now I manage it with diet, Immodium and an occasion lomotril. I'd rather be on an even plane for the most part instead of trying to fix something when it goes nutty. I know there is no miracle drug...just looking for something to help manage it with the least side effects.
Thanks!
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Opinions needed on anti-depressants (m) new
      #187226 - 06/19/05 08:35 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I was put on Lexapro about a month ago and it has made it possible for me to leave the house without having to wear a pad for the first time in 8 months since my first IBS attack. I am IBS-D and I know that this type could make mine worse but it has really helped with the anxiety I was having and hasn't made the D worse at all. I was already having great improvement with the IBS diet, which I follow pretty strictly, but I think the Lexapro just helped even more. My husband has said it is so nice to have me back, smiling and laughing...etc... Considering my first attack was 3 days after our wedding 8 months ago, I'd say that I'd have to agree.

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#187232 - 06/19/05 09:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I actually found Acacia far more helpful for that than a-d's...and daily Immodium to get me stabilised when I was really bad.

With low-dose Elavil I noticed a slight general improvement in symptoms (might have been coincidental!)...and with that and the Celexa I found I could cope better with the IBS stresses, but that was it.

Alyson new
      #187237 - 06/19/05 09:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I take Lexapro too. Can I ask what your dose is? I'm at 10mg and haven't noticed an impovement with the anxiety at all yet.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

antid new
      #187269 - 06/19/05 12:27 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I was on citalopram while stabilising. I feel it helped calm me and my tummy and stopped me getting "butterflies" while I was trying to stabilise. I was on them for four months or so. No side effects for me, thankfully.

--------------------
S.

Re: Alyson new
      #187929 - 06/21/05 03:02 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I'm taking 10 too, though as of today I am switching to celexa because of the cost of Lexapro. Here's hoping it works the same!

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#187935 - 06/21/05 03:25 PM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

When I had my first serious bout of IBS D I was also having panic attacks and severe anxiety, and the two were very connected (I would have a panic attack at the thought that I was about to have D and was stuck on a bus/ at work/ etc, and the panic attack would then give me a D attack. It became a chicken and egg scenario). I went on imipramine and stayed on it for about ten years and it helped significantly. I would still get an occasional D attack - maybe every month or two just for one day- but I was also smoking and drinking coffee all day, so I'm sure that aggrivated it immenesly. I am currently pregnant & can't take imipramine and am back in the same situation I was ten years ago unfortunately- however everyone reacts differently to each different anti-depressent, so my suggestion is that if you are having anxiety with your D, try to find a psychiatrist who may also be an internist, or one who specializes in anxiety, and make sure this person knows about your IBS D since some meds can aggrivate it. Good luck.

#187939 - 06/21/05 03:33 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I was on generic elavil for a year or so. While it was effective, I only went on it as a last resort, I was nauseous ALL of the time (before I started taking the medicine). I gained a ton of weight and it had some serious side effects at first. I wouldn't do it again unless I really had to.

Edited by chinagrl (06/22/05 07:17 AM)

#187946 - 06/21/05 03:57 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Just a warning - it totally depends on the person. I was totally stable on a high dose of effexor and now that I'm on a lower dose I'm totally unstable. I've been on paxil and that didn't help my IBS either. Be patient - it takes up to 12 weeks for the AD to work. Don't expect miracles overnight. It takes a long time for AD's to work if at all, and then, if it's the right one for you. It may take time to get the right one at the right dose for you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#187956 - 06/21/05 04:20 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am too scared to try them. There is so many side effects with them. I am taking Acacia and probotic acidophilus and they work pretty well for me.

If you just want to try them and you are curious, I would speak to someone and see if there is one that has the least side effects.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review