All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A little idea - attacks..
      #187096 - 06/17/05 10:21 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I had a little idea. Lately I have been keeping my diary in the bathroom...so that when I have an attack (unfortunately often these days :-() I can write down all the stuff that flies through my head at high speed - good, bad, encouraging, hopeless etc. It helps focus me and get me through it and understand myself.
What do you all say to yourselves when you are on that toilet,holding on, praying for it to end? How do you stay upbeat? What words or prayers or mantras carry you through the fear that comes with all of this?
I thought it would be really nice if we could all write down what we do/say etc to keep ourselves together. I want to print it out and tuck it in my diary. This board helps me so much to feel unisolated, and it would be nice to carry those words into the toilet with me and read them when I need them the most.
Thanks to anyone that replies!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Um, I'll be blunt.... new
      #187099 - 06/17/05 11:18 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I say "oh God, dear God, get it OUTTTT!!"

Kinda like when I'm in labour!!

Funny, but it works!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: A little idea - attacks.. new
      #187108 - 06/18/05 05:10 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

There is nothing inspirational in me during an attack. All I do is fan myself and pray (not very eloquently (sp) either) for the pain and the poop to stop!

Edited by kshsmom (06/18/05 05:11 AM)

#187114 - 06/18/05 06:40 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I tend to think, "I'm sick of this" or "I don't have time for this."

Humor is the best medicine! new
      #187125 - 06/18/05 07:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hey, whatever works!

I don't have a mantra, I admit. I don't get despondent or upset about it anymore, thankfully, but I tend to get really irritated after the 3rd or 4th trip to the toilet, and that's when I start swearing. LOL!

Seriously, though, what helps me get through it the best is distraction. My cat Phoebe, the little weirdo, refuses to let me go in the bathroom by myself. EVER. So I'll be sitting on the pot, and Phoebe sits at my feet, looks up, and meows. And I meow back. And she meows again, and so on, each meow getting more and more weird-sounding (goodness only knows what she's trying to tell me, haha). Inevitably she makes some sort of non-feline squawking noise and I crack up. And thus we get back to laughter being the best medicine.

#187134 - 06/18/05 10:16 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Distraction works best for me too. Usually I try to read something and not think about getting all upset over it until it's over. It's frustrating sometimes though when you're on the 3rd or 4th trip... arhgh!

Btw, that's really funny about your cat Casey! Cats are so awesome. My cat Sebastian always seems to know when I'm not feeling well and will lie on my stomach. I read somewhere that the frequency of a cat's purr is the same as an ultrasound (or something) that they use to soothe pain... or something like that. Anyway, it really does help, and is comforting of course too. Ahhh, felines.

#187139 - 06/18/05 10:31 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Well, I have this little ritual if it is a long bout. Get the fan blowing on me, keep my crossword book and pen close by and maybe a favorite bead making magazine. But if the pain is too intense I just sit and moan! I"ve only been on the diet about 3 weeks and with the exception of yesterday at he docs (I posted about that) I have fortunately not had a long, painful bout of D. So something is definitely working for me. I still have D in the mornings but nothing like a month ago.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

LOL, that's too cute! new
      #187143 - 06/18/05 11:10 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Did you name your cat Phoebe because Phoebe thought a cat was her mother? I loved that Friends episode!

Yeah, I have toadmit, I don't think too much, I just poop and get it over with.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#187159 - 06/18/05 12:46 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

Since my attacks tend to involve several hours of sitting there with a plastic bag in front of my face, going both ends simultaneously, I definitely try to distract myself. When I have a little (and I do mean little) break between the explosions (haha) I massage my forehead and say positive, "I'm trying to heal myself" messages to myself over and over again. It kind of puts me in a trance. That is at least until the feeling of "Oh God, here we go again!" comes back! lol

#187160 - 06/18/05 12:47 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

This is kind of embarrassing, or personal! That's okay. Lately--I don't understand why--I chant nursery rhymes over and over and over again--little miss muffet sat on her...inky dinky spider...little jack horner...puff the magic dragon...(I still can't get over MEET THE PARENTS, nevermind MEET THE FOCKERS and think Ben Stiller is a hot) this sort of stuff happens when it's totally painful. I often adulterate these nursery rhymes. I get quite angry when I'm in pain. I'm not sure if it's the rhythm or the cadence, but it subdues me, distracts me. I crank up the tunes, too. Or begin the naming of the goldfish (sort of a spin on T.S. Eliot's "The Naming of the Cats). Start making lists. Yes, I read. Somehow, though, bathroom reading needs to be different. I do some colour visualization--the pain is usually CRIMSON or ORANGE and I send myself some blue or even some muddy cool tones. Sometimes, I feel like my head is going to explode from the pain so I send some lavender to my head or violet. Maybe I should get one of those Mr. Bubbles and just blow bubbles on the throne. Yes, that sounds like a good idea--blowing bubbles on the can. Maybe a colouring book, next, too. I don't understand why, but sometimes pain makes me really "childish" and regressive.

#187166 - 06/18/05 02:13 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

You poor thing...are you sure this is IBS? Have you had your gallbladder checked?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#187174 - 06/18/05 03:42 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i always hear my mind say "hang in there little girl, theres worse pain. youve felt worse pain"--not very encouraging i know but i know what you mean about writing down what goes thru your head--random-good writing-potential things always pass thru my brain-corners when i never seem to have a handy pen and paper!! hehe

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Two mantras... new
      #187203 - 06/18/05 09:54 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

"God, please let it STOP!"

"This too shall pass."

#187262 - 06/19/05 11:54 AM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

Oh yeah, it's IBS. Have had it for many years and had it somewhat under control till I had my gallbladder taken out in March. Then things went haywire and have been pretty frustrating since then. Lost 55 lbs. though! lol Thank God I'm overweight, otherwise, I'd be in real trouble! lol

#187265 - 06/19/05 12:16 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I think....better out than in mostly as the cramps just kill me. I think of what I will do when the attack is over and I think of rehydrating myself...hope this helps, not sure that it does. If you are are reading this printed out mid-attack then hang in there!

--------------------
S.

Humour definately works... new
      #187279 - 06/19/05 02:22 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

When I am having what I call a 'proper' attack as opposed to the usual morning toilet runs I usually just start laughing to myself strip myself naked of all my clothes (sorry TMI but I get toooooo HOT!) and cos Im in uni and we have these little pod things for bathrooms where u can be sitting on the toilet washing ur hands and having a shower at the same time theyre that small...well I put the taps running on cold and the shower on cold andthe sound of water really helps and I sometimes put myself under it or cool my wrists down and then usually start laughing thinking of what people would be thinking if they could see me at that exact moment....sitting naked on a toilet with my hands under a cold tap! I also tell myself that I am brave and that Im proud of myself for being able to cope with the pain and everything all alone and away from my family and everything and look forward to getting myself all cosy afterwards and snuggle up in bed!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Humour definately works... new
      #187282 - 06/19/05 02:53 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I had to laugh at your post!! I thought I was the only one who wound up stripping in the bathroom cause I got SO hot, clammy, sweaty, yucky. I *wish* I could reach my sink from the toilet!! LOL
I've often laughed at the thought of someone seeing me like that, thinking I was crazy.
Mostly during an attack my mantra is usually, oh God, please make it stop, make it go away...varied in some form, repeated over & over.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Re: Humour definately works... new
      #187364 - 06/20/05 12:44 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I had to laugh reading this (which I really need right now as I battle a flare up). Sometimes it is great to have a small bathroom with everything close by, but it gave me a better idea of what to try the next time I am trapped on our boat with an attack.

At least I know I am not the only one who is dying of heat while trapped in the bathroom praying for it to end. When I first started having attacks I thought that with the hot flashes that it was early menopause.

I typically pray that it ends, but like Casey, I have my dog Chloe who comes to the bathroom with me and grumbles and barks over the whole ordeal. At least she is there watching over me when Jason is busy. This afternoon I spent my time trapped reformatting my laptop and reinstalling software. At least I have something accomplished from my ever growing to do list.

I should keep a diary in there to journal my thoughts. Thanks for the idea!

-Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 958 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review