All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gallbladder surgery
      #186432 - 06/15/05 08:39 AM
jewbug

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Las Vegas, Nv

Has anyone had or know someone who had gallbladder surgery and the IBS diet has worked wonders for them? My sister just had her gallbladder removed and I am trying to help her with a diet for diarrhea. In the past she has also had IBS-D predominant.
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Do a search... new
      #186441 - 06/15/05 08:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...this has come up before.

Re: gallbladder surgery new
      #186633 - 06/16/05 06:08 AM

Unregistered

My history sounds the same except I have only found this site last autumn.
Diagnosed ibs.d in 1975, gallbladder removed 1983 and although that removed a lot of my problems, the ibs has persisted and here I am now learning how to take control.
Soluble fiber is very important (I buy from this site - Acacia), acidopholus supplement has helped me and also Heather's peppermint capsules. Some people take a calcium supplement to help the d. but I did not find it helped me much. There is also a prescription drug called Questran which is prescribed to help the d. - it mops up the bile which is now unable to be stored in the gallbladder. I have recently started on Questran but cannot really give a verdict yet - will let you know.
Above all, your sister needs to give it time and I really mean time - months not weeks in order to stabilise satisfactory.
You have done the right thing by getting on to this site - the information is priceless. All the best.
Judith

#186635 - 06/16/05 06:13 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I had my gallbladder out a couple months ago. The IBS diet is great for that problem too because it is low fat, and you can't eat a high fat diet w/o a gallbladder or you'll be in a lot of pain...

--------------------
~Cara~

#186636 - 06/16/05 06:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here read this web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#186761 - 06/16/05 04:09 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I am IBS-A and had gallbladder surgery in March. My system has gone HAYWIRE!!!! I took the Questran (they are reluctant to give it to people with IBS) for about a month and had to stop it. It was giving me C and causing more problems than it was fixing. It might work for your sister though. It got me through the initial few weeks so that I could at least go back to work. It would help with the D for a couple of days, but then my system would spasm out and I would be sick as a dog again. I have a particularly lovely form of IBS that spasms my entire system from beginning to end...NOT pretty! lol
I have been pretty much trying to stick with the diet on this website and I have been doing much better. So far, it seems to work fairly well. I am still kind of going back and forth from C to D but I think that is just my system and the fact that I am eating very little right now, mainly out of FEAR! lol I finally have been seeing a dietician and a naturopath and hopefully will get this under control soon. They mentioned even eating baby food while my system readjusts to digesting "real" food. Hope you guys find something that works well. Try anything...it's the only way to find out if it works!

#186887 - 06/17/05 09:15 AM
jewbug

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Las Vegas, Nv

Thanks for everyone's help. My Mom has had to take the Questran continuously ever since her gallbladder surgery. My sister does not want to do that and I think this diet will help her to keep from doing that. Best of luck and health to you all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 888

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review