All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thanks for the info - A few diet related questions
      #185832 - 06/12/05 08:37 AM
MaxS

Reged: 06/12/05

Hello everyone. First I'd like to say Thank you. This is by far the best IBS related site I found. I have read everything I could find on this site and I also now have the "IBS Cheatsheet" on my desktop.

Just a little info on myself:
I'm 15 years old and I have been suffering from IBS for close to two years. After going to plenty of doctors, none of them have anything to say. Finally my youth doctor ( I forgot the name ) told me that I most probably have IBS. That is, after I told him I thought I have it. I did all the research I could and I came up with IBS. So finally my doctor agreed. He is sending me to a Gastro doctor soon. I saw one awhile ago who did nothing for me. This time we atleast know what I have.

Anyway, I need a very strict diet. I have finals this week and I simply can't afford a trip to the bathroom. I'll need to sit there for atleast 3 hours without a trip to the bathroom. I'm NOT allowed to go to the bathroom during this time. I thought about just not eating. I know this may seem stupid, but If I don't eat, maybe I won't have a stomache ache. Two days ago I had egg yokes and boy do I regret doing that. Atleast I know thats a trigger ( Without a doubt :/ ).
After reading around, everyone has different opinions. I'm currently taking Fibercon but I read around and Heather isn't suggesting I eat fiber ( Straight up -- Nothing else? ). I figured prunes, fruits, etc would be good for me?
So now I'm thinking about going on an extremely strict diet. What would you suggest?
Breakfast:
Noodles - ( No butter or anything )
Green Tea/Peppermint Tea
1 Fibercon tablet
Water

Lunch:
What could I possibly eat? It seems everything is bad for me. I usually have a subway sandwhich but bread is bad for me? I usually get Turkey/Lettuce/Tomatoe but Lettuce is a trigger? How about turkey on a roll? Wheat is a trigger? What can I eat?

Dinner:
Chicken ( No skin ) / Grilled Fish
Water

Snakes:
Bananas ( Sadly, I dislike them.. Oh well )

Please give me some simply suggestions. I'm going to head out to the grocerry store tommorow to pick up a few things. What would you suggest I buy?

Also: Here are a few foods I'll NEVER eat again -
Red Meats
Milk ( This includes icecream. How can a kid live without icecream? Ouch...)
Eggs
Lettuce/Greens

Bah.. This syndrome makes life so much less enjoyable.

Thanks

Edited by MaxS (06/12/05 08:40 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for the info - A few diet related questions new
      #185835 - 06/12/05 09:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, talk to your teachers and get a note from your doctor so that you can go to the bathroom during your exams if you have to (I had all sorts of stuff sorted for my Uni finals).

Thirdly, read through the diet info again...especially Soluble fibre vs Insoluble fibre for IBS . You seem to have got a bit mixed up here - bread (without HFCS and dairy of course - check labels) is a great IBS staple. Wheat isn't an IBS trigger at all. It's only a problem if you're sensitive to gluten which is an entirely different problem to IBS.

I haven't got many specific food suggestions as I'm not in the US, but have a look at the snacks list .

Good luck!

#185839 - 06/12/05 09:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hi, Max, and welcome to the Boards. I think you've got short-term and long-term issues, so I'll address them separately.

Short-term, you need to get through your exams. Since you're concerned about needing to use the restroom in the middle of your exams, I'm assuming you're IBS-D. If so, you might consider taking Immodium before your exams. Since you're only 15, you should talk to your parents about this - I'm pretty sure Immodium is safe for someone your age, but check with them to be sure it's OK.

Deciding not to eat before your exams isn't stupid - there are people with IBS a lot older than you who do the same thing - or did, before they got some help from this diet. It may not be the best idea, though, if you need to be alert for your exams. Take a look at these two special diets and see if you think either one will work for you during exam time:

Break The Cycle Diet - this is a short-term (3 days max) diet of all soluble fiber foods; it should be soothing to your gut

What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything Diet - This is pretty much a subset of the foods in the Break The Cycle diet (with some safe prepared foods, like angel cake, thrown in); based on what I remember from high school biology, these are all foods that are really, really easy to digest

I'd also suggest you take a look at How To Eat. It will explain the concept of eating soluble fiber foods before anything else - this is super important.

If you feel you have to have protein, you can add some to the special diets - it's not quite as safe, but you can give it a try. For me, the simplest and easiest to digest protein is just a baked chicken breast: take a boneless, skinless chicken breast, wrap it in aluminum foil, put it on a baking dish (in case it leaks), and bake it at 375 degrees for at least 45 minutes. If you want a little flavor, sprinkle some tarragon on it before you wrap it up. If you have access to some refrigeration at school - chill pack, maybe - you can take some of the baked chicken and some plain bread for lunch. Just be sure to eat soluble fiber - like bread - BEFORE you eat the chicken.

Herbal teas - peppermint, fennel, ginger, chamomile can help, too. If you have a hot water source at school, you can take your own teabags and make these yourself.

As for eating at Subway, I don't, so I can't help you directly. However, if you Search on "Subway" (don't use the quotes), on the Diet Board, All Posts, I'm pretty sure it's come up before and you can see what people have to say about whether the bread is safe and what you can eat there. Do NOT get mayonnaise and, while your major concern is stability, skip the lettuce and tomatoes.

Okay, that's short-term. Long-term - after your exams are over - you need to see a good GI so you can get the tests done to be sure what you have is IBS. You should get hold of a copy of Heather's book, "The First Year - IBS" and read it. You might be able to find it at your local library. You can also order it from this Website and from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. The first part of it is on-line here. This well tell you what other conditions your GI guy should consider and what tests you need to be definitively diagnosed with IBS. I think you should get your parents to take a look at this info, too - they're in a better position to insist that your GI guy take a look at everything.

You don't say where you are, but here is a list of good IBS doctors - dig through it and see if there's one in your area. If not, you can try posting where you are (start a new post for this) and see if anyone on the Board can recommend a good doctor in your area.

Last, but certainly not least, you need to take a close look at Heather's diet. A lot of what you think about it is wrong. Reading "The First Year" will help with this, but just to clear up some stuff:

Heather absolutely DOES recommend taking fiber supplements. They're a crucial part of her program.
Prunes are very harsh IF - I don't recommend them. As for fruits, you absolutely need to eat them, but most of them are IF and need to be eaten carefully.
Wheat is NOT a trigger, unless your doctor determines you're sensitive to it. Whole Wheat is a trigger, but not just wheat, so most white breads, rolls, etc., should be okay. (Some have dairy or HFCS, but that should be marked in the ingredient list.)
Giving up red meat, dairy, and egg yolks is a great idea. Egg whites are fine and a good source of protein.
Lettuce may always be too much of a trigger for you, but you absolutely need green vegetables. You have to learn to eat them carefully.

If you hate bananas, try applesauce. It comes in little 1/2-cup sized plastic cups that don't need refrigeration. I buy Mott Brand Natural - it's just apples and water, with a little ascorbic acid.

It's not just kids who can't live without ice cream - I can't either. There are soy and rice ice creams that are quite good. Soy Dream Mocha Fudge is yummy. They're all high in fat, though, so again you have to learn how to eat them carefully.

The Boards are always quiet on the weekends and seem even quieter this weekend, so if you don't get a lot of responses, be patient - things should pick up tomorrow. (Of course, it's taken me so long to get this response written in between doing other stuff that you could have 20 responses already. I certainly hope so.)

HTH. Good luck with your exams.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#185887 - 06/12/05 03:28 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I think it's great that at such a young age you are willing to make the dietary changes necessary to feel better.

At first it does seem like info overload when it comes to the diet but believe me it is so worth it. Print out the snack and short term diets if you can until you can get hold of the book recommended. You will get lots of good information around this website. I love the idea of getting a docs note to have bathroom breaks if needed.
Good luck and take care of yourself.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#186279 - 06/14/05 12:08 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome to the boards Max

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review