All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Smoothie Question
      #185073 - 06/09/05 09:16 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Has anyone tried to make a smoothie and then take it to work and kept it refrigerated until you were able to drink it as a snack or at a later time--like hours later?

All the recipes seem to say "eat right away". I would love to take them to work, if possible. I'm too full to have them after dinner at home, and I like hot cereal for breakfasts. Hot seems most likely to stimulate a BM, or is this a falicy?

Do you need to add acacia to a smoothie in order to drink it as a snack? Or are they safe as long as you have one safe SF fruit in them. Like, would a rice milk, mango (SF source) and strawberry (or blueberry) smoothie be safe to eat as a snack?

thanks all

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Smoothie Question new
      #185079 - 06/09/05 09:25 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I take smoothies to work with me in a thermos and stick it in the fridge. They are still good this way but the consistency changes a little as they do not stay as cold as they are coming right out of the blender. I usually eat some bread or something else safe then drink the smoothie and I do fine. I have tried adding my SFS in the smoothie but I think b/c the smoothie is so cold the SFS doesn't dissolve??

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#185085 - 06/09/05 09:29 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Maybe the thermos helps keep it cold. Good idea!

You still eat the bread even though the smoothie may contain a soluble fiber fruit?

What type of SFS have you tried in them?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#185093 - 06/09/05 09:39 AM
Tissy

I have had bad experiences in the past before I was stable with fruit. So I am extra careful when drinking a smoothie, I like a good base of bread before I drink mine. I use Benefiber.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Smoothies are my breakfast every day. i can help you! new
      #185200 - 06/09/05 12:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

AS far as what goes in it-I always put strawberries or some other berry (or mangoes)and soy protein powder(makes it have lasting power) and Metamucil and soy milk. Now, fi you were putting in Metamucil or Acacia, you'd not want to do that till you were ready to drink it because it will thicken after a while, and I've had my smoothies turn to Jello in 5 minutes!LOL!

I would guess that if you put it in a styrofoam container in the fridge, it'd keep pretty well. I would use the Metamucil to thicken it up a bit though...That's just me, it feels more authentic, LOL!

We have a place in town called Booster Juice, which was founded by a Sherwood Park, Alberta guy, and he now has stores all over the world. Anyhow, they are awesome smoothies, can be made with NO dairy(*bonus) and have added boosters like wheatgrass, spirulina and calcium that you can choose to add in. He uses Styro contqainers. I wish there was a Booster juice everywhere for us IBSers. It's sooooooooooooooo good! there's like 40 smoothies to choose from, all natural, all stuff you can modify. It's grrr-eat!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Christie-does Benefiber thicken? new
      #185201 - 06/09/05 12:26 PM
_Willow

See that's why I like the metamucil, because it Does thicken, and gives me that "milkshakey" feeling that I so MISS!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

What if you don't use an SFS new
      #185206 - 06/09/05 12:34 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I cannot tolerate any soluble fiber supplement so I wouldn't have that as a SF source to put into the smoothi. So do you think the soluble mango would be enough of a "buffer" for the berry part of the drink or would I need to eat a piece of bread with it, like Tissy does?

#185218 - 06/09/05 01:20 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

If you like that combination, then go for it. I've taken many a smoothie "to go" or "for later." I usually don't bother with the rice milk part as I think it's gross in a fruit smoothie. Ditto with soy milk. Just the fruits combined, thanks! Mango is pretty thick and high sf, so with some berries (the red taste better with the sunny mango) it's a great snack. If I want to thin it out, I do so with plain h2o.

#185222 - 06/09/05 01:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Your breakfast is pure sf, am I correct, Augie (i.e. cereal)?
And, in your smoothie there is an sf fruit? (i.e. mango) And the addition of some if fruit (i.e. berries)? With a stable sf breakfast and sf fruit you should be okay--you'll ultimately have to decide--unless you're on a D streak. Heck, I used to eat mango on an empty tummy. But, once again you must determine what's best. Quite likely you'll have sf at your next snack/meal.

Well.... new
      #185224 - 06/09/05 01:38 PM
Tissy

it clumps up in stuff that is to cold. So you'll be slurping your smoothie and get a big wad of fiber which tastes disgusting!! Benefiber normally has no taste, texture, doesn't thicken. But if you try to put it in anything colder then say a glass of iced tea w/ ice cubes it starts to clump. ANd when it clumps instead of dissolving it does have a taste.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

My personal smoothie...inspired by Wind! new
      #185246 - 06/09/05 03:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I made a smoothie this morning with blueberries and pure cranberry juice. I am having a UTI OR a kidney prob atm. I must say it came out nicely!

Thank you Wind for the idea of using water with the fruit to thin it out. I was wondering just this morning if that would work!

Enjoy your smoothies everyone!

(Can you tell I'm happy I just bought my 1st blender?!?)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

So not nicely like psyllium does, huh? new
      #185267 - 06/09/05 04:33 PM
_Willow

I just put it allin the personal blender, but suck it down fast.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I got that personal blender too-BRILLIANT! new
      #185268 - 06/09/05 04:36 PM
_Willow

I read that post a month and a half back and RAN out to buy a personal blender.

Never do I recall breakfast that was easy to down, other than Rice Krispie Squares. Now I understand why I always had sugar for breakfast-at least it's SF!
but now thanks to my personal Blender, I'm whipping up yummy, safe breakfasts every morning that KEEP me full till noon!
(do I sound like an ad or what?)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Sometimes I use juice instead of the soy milk, new
      #185269 - 06/09/05 04:39 PM
_Willow

and sometimes I have left out the SFS...and I notice I'm full for less time, but the only TUMMY thing I notice is it gets to my GERD slightly moreso than with the SFS. But you could have an animal cookie if you were nervous. For me, they don't bother me at ALL.

And I'm Swearing by this 5 strain dophilus, by the way, Regular as rain, NO pain basically for 3 days now!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 919 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review